Possible switch fault?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

N-Dog

Possible switch fault?

Post by N-Dog »

Due to lack of use, I top up my battery with a trickle charger every Sunday, it is usually ready to switch off on the Monday. Today, while disconnecting the leads, I noticed two small lights on, inside the car. They are the two small button lights for the electric front windows, down near the handbrake. I thought this was odd, as not only was the ignition off, but the key was in my pocket.
Curious, I got in the car and pressed the switches, and to my surprise, both the electric front windows are operational via these switches, both up and down, without the key even being in the ignition.
Am I right in thinking this shouldn't be so? Is this a problem anyone else knows about - or is it even a problem at all?
If it's relevant, the door mirror glass movement switch has never worked since I've owned the car, and the interior courtesy light doesn't work from the drivers door, but works off the other doors. Related?
1995 (M) Cavalier 2.0 16v GLS saloon
dorsetdave

Re: Possible switch fault?

Post by dorsetdave »

On my 94 CD the window lights switch lights stay on for a while. They seem to come on if a door has been opened or if the ignition has been on. They go out after a couple of minutes. I can't comment on the LS as it has wind up windows.

Your door light switch. Does the interior light come on if you open the rear driver's side door? Also does the lights on buzzer work? On my CD neither offside door worked the interior light or the buzzer. There is a connector near the transmission tunnel just to the front of the driver's seat resting on the floor. This conveniently sits where any moisture collects under the carpet and soundproofing. Peel back the carpet and soundproofing from the driver's side footwell and you should see it. If it's like mine it was wet and rotted out. I soldered the wires, bypassing the connector. Everything works as it should.

If it is just the driver's door switch that does not work it could be the switch or the fact that it isn't earthed properly.
The other possibility is that the wire from the front door switch has failed in the connector area. If this is the case the buzzer probably doesn't work.

Can't comment about the mirror as mine have kept working!
1993 LS 2.0 8V auto Saloon. Satin Red
1994 CD 2.0 8V auto Hatch. Nautilus
1986 1.8i auto cabrio only 8000 miles. Polar white
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

I'm supposed to have a 'lights-on' buzzer...…??????!!!!!! :shock:
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The driver's door switch is your issue.

The electric windows will be on (along with the window switch lights)

1 - when the driver's door is open.
2 - when the ignition is on.
3 - when the ignition is turned off, until the driver's door is opened and then closed again.

So your problem is... after the car has been running, the window switch lights stay on, because they do not detect the driver's door being opened and closed.

The driver's door switch or the wiring to it is faulty / rusty / disconnected.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As for mirror demister switch.
Some work, some don't.

I have two.. one lights up, one doesn't.
It should light up with the rear window demister switch, unless you have a really early model with separate button for the mirrors.
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

The demister light on the mirror switch does light up when the heated rear window is on....
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is working fine then :D
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

N-Dog wrote:I'm supposed to have a 'lights-on' buzzer...…??????!!!!!! :shock:

Yes - Early black sounders are buzzers.
Later pale grey sounders give an alternating two tone warble.

It works when you have: -
the lights on,
the ignition off and
the driver's door open.

Sounds like you have the common issue of a wiring fault on the grey wire somewhere between the centre console switches, along the driver's sill panel, or the switch in the driver's door frame.

The dip switch on the driver's door frame is the most likely cause again.

It will have two male spade contacts.
And about three grey wires connected to it.

Either the switch is rusty or the self tapping screw holding it in place is,

or the connectors are broken, loose or rusty.

All Three faults will be caused by the door switch or it's wiring.
1 - Interior light does not work from the door.
2 - Centre console window switches do not turn off.
3 - Lights on buzzer does not sound.
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

Many many thanks to Robsey, and to dorsetdave, for your help and advice with this, I will be forwarding this link to my mechanic, who will be having the car soon to replace a very tired bonnet release cable. Cheers fellas :thumb :thumb
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

OK so in fact it WASN'T the switch, the new switch was fitted but the multiple problems associated with it are still there (windows operating without key in ignition and switch lights remaining illuminated, electric mirrors not working, courtesy light not operating from either offside door, lights-on buzzer not working) so my mechanic is going to get his auto-electrician friend to investigate.
On the plus side, I now have my new bonnet release cable fitted, so I now don't have to yank it up to the rear seats 14 times through clenched teeth and sweat to pop the hood.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Very odd...
If it isn't the switch, then it has to be the grey wire on the driver's side of the car.

Have you tried unplugging the centre console switch panel, in case it is the switch unit that is faulty.?

Lets hope your garage spark can find the issue.
It is bound to be something daft and simple.
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

Fixed!
Thanks to Glenn Bee, auto electrician in Norwich.

The fault was a burnt out connector underneath the drivers footwell / seat area. The interior lamp now works from the offside doors, the 'lights-on' warning sound now works, and the electric window lights (down by the handbrake) don't stay on all the time, they only illuminate now when you open the door, i.e. when the courtesy light is on.
The electric movable mirrors still do not work, due to both the motors being dead. I doubt I'll bother to replace those, owing to the lack of use they will get (which is the suspected reason for their demise in the first place).
Happy Cavving! :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Excellent news...
One job sorted... 35 more to go.!!
:p

As for the mirrors.
I only fitted a powered mirror to the driver's door... and it is only used for defrosting in the cold winter months.
The mirror glass has not been moved for over two years.

The passenger side is still totally manual...
I will wire it up one day.!
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Is that with the ignition on?
Sorry for asking such an obvious question.

Check your fuses, in case he shorted something accidentally.

Do the hazards work?.. if yes, it could be the stalk at fault if not, it could be the main floor connector in the passenger footwell.

A quick check of the fuse locations in the owner's manual points to fuse 7 being the possible issue.
Apparently Fuse 7 supplies voltage to the indicators, brake lights and ABS module.
dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

Glad that your electrician managed to find the problem. The connector really is in a stupid place under the driver's mat. Glad that it is now sorted.
1993 LS 2.0 8V auto Saloon. Satin Red
1994 CD 2.0 8V auto Hatch. Nautilus
1986 1.8i auto cabrio only 8000 miles. Polar white
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

They do,
But now there is an issue with indicators and brake lights.

I believe fuse 7 checks out,
so I suspect a wiring issue further down the line, perhaps on the floor loom near connector X6 in the passenger footwell.

Maybe the electrician disconnected something, and missed / forgot to connect it when putting the car back together.
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

fair play to the guy... turns out it WAS a dodgy fuse.... I had replaced the fuse, but I'd identified the wrong one; the one I pulled out was a 30, the corroded one he replaced was a 15. That diagram moulded into the inside of the drop-down fusebox cover isn't very clear! Anyway, fixed.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Good to hear it is sorted.

If you want a clearer listing of the fuses, they are on this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4904

I agree the little images are a bit confusing.
I still keep the original owners booklet in my glovebox for that reason.

There are a few minor differences compared to V6 and Air Con equipped cars, but most fuses and their function in the listing will be correct.
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

That list is hugely helpful Robsey, thanks very much, I've saved that. I did buy a multi-bag of mixed fuses when I bought the car, as a precaution, perhaps I should go through them all one weekend and check them.
Thanks again! :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

My pleasure,

I am just happy that you are now able to get in your car and enjoy it.
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

YDM went for her MOT this morning.
An hour later, I got a phone call...... it has failed.... on a LIGHT BULB !!!
Damn! If I'd known it was out, I'd have changed it myself. Nearside indicator repeater.
Anyway, apart from that - to use the words of the lady who rang me from the MOT centre: "We couldn't find anything else wrong with it at all."
Happy days! :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Excellent news.

As you say - Happy Days.

Congratulations, as I would hope they fitted the bulb and gave you a new pass sheet.
N-Dog

Post by N-Dog »

They did, yes. I'm happier with them than I was with the lot who MOTd my Mazda just after Christmas - I'd asked them to get me in a new set of front wiper blades, and fit them before the MOT - and when I checked the DVLA database, I found they'd failed it - on the wiper blades - then fitted the blades then passed it. So it's got an entirely unnecessary fail on it's record. A bad enough strike, in my opinion, for me to decide not to go there again!