AC circuit

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

mo_ayman

AC circuit

Post by mo_ayman »

Hi all,

Recently my AC stopped working.
Diagnosing the issue I found that the AC harness was destroyed, as I have been in a collision. I had to clean up the mess caused from the impact. I taped the wires so that no shorts are there and then wrapped them in harness cloth like tape.

I have also changed the AC pressure sensor which has 4 pins https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Conditioni ... SwJb5cNxPT.

I then found out that the AC fan was dead. So I bought another one. The new fan though was a little bit different. The fan shroud was metal as opposed to mine being plastic. Also the fan motor was a bit bigger. Anyway it did fit well.

Now, I am noticing some weird stuff. The AC fan turns on when the temp is 90+ or so while the AC is not turned on. Is that an expected behavior of the fan? Is it used as an extra cooling fan? Or should it only be on when the AC is on?

One other weird thing is that sometimes the AC button light won't work although the AC starts working when I hit the button. It turns on after a while randomly and then stays on. What can be causing this?

Is there any info about the whole AC circuit? The relay under the bonnet (green one I guess), the button, the fan switch (the 2 pin one not the 3 pin one), the pressure sensor and the compressor wiring.

I really want to know how does the whole system work.

Thanks a lot guys.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: AC circuit

Post by Robsey »

I can only suggest getting a Haynes manual, as the AC system is very complex.

I understand that the cooling fan does kick in at low speed, but this should only be when the AC is turned on.

Sounds like something in the switching or relay circuit is shorting or "sticking on".
mo_ayman

Post by mo_ayman »

Well, I always hear you guys talking about the Haynes manual but I have no idea where to get one.
I understand that the cooling fan does kick in at low speed, but this should only be when the AC is turned on.
I am talking about the front fan not the radiator one.
Sounds like something in the switching or relay circuit is shorting or "sticking on".
I feel so too. I have not done the job myself so.. I have no idea if the electrician did it the right way or not. I don't trust him to be honest. But I also don't like to play with electric stuff.

Another thing is where do the AC harness wires traceback to? I wanted to test them for connectivity from their source I though don't know where the source is.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

The Haynes manual won't help this time unfortunately, it doesn't cover air conditioning :cry:

A general Haynes guide on air conditioning is available,
example : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Haynes-A ... SwR7xcwc3i
so have a look around
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The normal Cavalier manual does have the wiring diagrams for air conditioning though, which may be useful if the existing wiring has been damaged.
mo_ayman

Post by mo_ayman »

Well, I have lost my manual long time ago and I can't find one to buy in my country.

Can anyone help me out if he still has it?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Check out your emails.
;)