Camshaft sensor variances

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Nova_Tek

Camshaft sensor variances

Post by Nova_Tek »

After many years of the Cavalier being out of commission... I've decided to revive it. After 4 years of sitting, I started it up (after oil change and engine prep of course).

It wouldn't be an XEV Ecotec if it didn't have the camshaft sensor warning show up :D A while before it came off the road, I did the cam sensor wiring mod and fitted new plug by cutting out damaged wiring (it worked a treat and never had the sensor warning thereafter).

I assume that the sensor is knackered after years of non-use being stored in a cold environment, so I'll replace it. I've noticed however, that the sensors on sale (for the vehicle model) tend to be rectangular connectors. The sensor & plug I have is more of a rounded/oblong plug. I've also noticed that sensors that have the same shape connector have a different model ref (not part number) compared to what I have e.g. 'Siemens 5WK9 055 2' (current) - 'Siemens 5WK9 055 4 (seen on sale most of which match to a Vectra B).

Is there an actual difference? Will items that state Vectra B X20XEV despite being the same plug work with the Cav X20XEV?

Just need clarification on differences between these variants.

Ta very much :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Camshaft sensor variances

Post by Robsey »

Looking at the EPC,
The Cavalier Mk3 1989 to 1995 camshaft speed sensor for the X20XEV is part number 90 458 252.

It is also the same part number for:-
Calibra 1989 to 1997
X20XEV.

Vectra-B 1996 to 2002
X18XE and X20XEV upto chassis number Y1999999 or Y7999999

Vectra-B 1996 to 2002
C20SEL and C22SEL.

Astra-F 1992 to 1998
C18SEL, C18XE, X18XE, X18XEL and X20XEV.

Omega-B 1994-2003
X20XEV.

So - assuming the connector is the same, it should fit and work fine.

I hope that helps.
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

Hi Robsey,

Thanks for the info. Having checked the part number you gave they all show as the wrong plug type.

I did look deeper into the Siemens reference and it seems the 5wk9 055 2 & 5wk9 055 4 are the same. They do show equivalent GM part numbers as 93171450 and 9012039. Looks like I'll be trying this.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

That is just so weird.

EPC does not recognise those part numbers that you gave, and the "Catcar" website also gives the same part number that I did.

Vauxhall at it's most confusing.
Their own electronic parts catalogue having the wrong numbers. :scratch
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

This is why it's so confusing.

The only other explanation is that the modified wiring kits are deliberately different plug types as obviously the old style was causing infamous issues, so these updated designs are a different type and therefore not found in the EPC as it wouldn't be standard, I assume.

Only thing to do is buy and try. Thankfully they're not expensive the more expensive rounded plug being £9.50... can always return I suppose.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Hope I'm not too late to chip-in, just back from a holiday.
Nova_Tek wrote:….The only other explanation is that the modified wiring kits are deliberately different plug types as obviously the old style was causing infamous issues, so these updated designs are a different type and therefore not found in the EPC as it wouldn't be standard, I assume.
I've done this a couple of times, once from scratch and you're right, the modified ones are different.
The rounded plug you have fitted is correct though.

As Robsey says, the part no. is 90458252

This looks good for the price if you feel like going belts 'n' braces :lol:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTERMOTOR-1 ... SwvtBcf~aj

-matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

I bought the correct one off ebay for £9.

The one I had fitted prior had the Siemens 5wk9 055 2 stamped on it, but when I removed the sensor it also had 5wk9 0552 4 printed, which matches the one purchased.

Unfortunately, the EML is still on despite the new sensor, so something else must be causing it. I've heard of crank sensor bringing up a cam sensor code, but is there anything else that can cause a cam sensor code (apart from it's wiring, which was previously changed)?

Thanks
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Only thing I can think of is electrical interference caused by damaged shielding on the sensor cabling.

You said the eml is on, what codes are you getting.?
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

Wiring for the cam sensor was replaced shortly before the car was taken off the road which included a new sensor.

If I remember correctly the code it flashed was 92 (or was it 93... one of those 2 lol). I'll have to flash the codes again just to be sure.

On the subject of codes etc, are there any diagnostic scanners or live data loggers that would work with 10pin pre-obd2 systems? I've got a bluetooth ELM OBD2 scanner and the Torque app which works well on the rest of the cars in the fleet, but I'm having trouble finding one compatible with the Cavaliers. I think it's worth investing in one given the Ecotec's inherited & infamous EML issues.

:thumb