Heater blower squeak

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

dorsetdave

Heater blower squeak

Post by dorsetdave »

The blower on my 94 CD 2.0 8v auto has not responded to lubrication so I am looking for a new motor. I ordered one yesterday from a UK on line supplier and after several messages they have responded by saying that their motors are for cars with air con only. Nothing mentioned in the advert to this effect.
A well known National parts supplier states, on putting in my registration number that it is a 92 car. Mine is a facelift 94 (L regn). Other sites say that the motor is only suitable for cars with a "P" chassis number, mine is an "R"
Has anyone any idea of where the part number is on the motor? Have we a Vauxhall part number for it? Are the motors for "P" and "R" the same?
I am reluctant to buy a secondhand one as it may not last long. Also I would still have the identification problem.
Any thoughts gratefully received.
1993 LS 2.0 8V auto Saloon. Satin Red
1994 CD 2.0 8V auto Hatch. Nautilus
1986 1.8i auto cabrio only 8000 miles. Polar white
dorsetdave

Re: Heater blower squeak

Post by dorsetdave »

Just a bit of clarification. The car had it's annual service by a person who served his apprenticeship on Vauxhalls of the 70s, and worked on our Cavaliers ever since. He owned a mark 3 for many years. He lubricated the motor but did not remove it. Apparently his cure usually works.
The fan starts up normally but as soon as the car turns left after a couple of miles the heater starts to squeak. ? End play on the shaft perhaps. The squeak only happens on 1, and 2 speed.
I was hoping to find the original Vauxhall part number.
Thanks again for looking.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I bought a German aftermarket fan.
Mine is a 1994 non-aircon jalopy.
So it would be the same specification as yours.

One word of warning... for some reason aftermarket fans have slightly long fan drums.
Myself and another chap on here (could be Ilovedmymantas) had to modify the black plastic casings to fit the longer drums.

The plastic is quite easy to cut, so not a biggy.

I will have a dig and see what I can find from my ebay purchase...

Okay search function on ebay is:-
Blower Motor 90464660
Current price is £55 plus £12 postage from Germany.

I recall mine arrived within a week of ordering -very fast.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2538333114
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:….Myself and another chap on here (could be Ilovedmymantas) had to modify the black plastic casings to fit the longer drums.
Yep. That was me.

I expected the casings to be brittle so I was pleasantly surprised at how soft the plastic was.
dorsetdave wrote:….The fan starts up normally but as soon as the car turns left after a couple of miles the heater starts to squeak. ? End play on the shaft perhaps. The squeak only happens on 1, and 2 speed.
Sounds like the perfect time to change it, then you can forget about it.

When mine blew the thermal fuse (speeds 1&2 went) I cleaned (dishwasher :thumb ), oiled it all, and replaced the fuse.
That was a relatively short-term fix as it turns out, later the front motor bearing mount tore itself apart...

….The out of true fan edge rubbed a hole in the lower casing

Prevention is better than cure :D

-matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

Thanks for your comments and thoughts. The only concern I still have is that suppliers refer to the item as being suitable for cars with a "P" prefix in the VIN. My car has an "R". The subsequent numbers do fit. Does anyone know if this is significant?
I will leave ordering the motor for a few days just in case someone thinks that it could be a problem.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If it really worries you, then pm me your VIN and registration, and I shall check the Vauxhall parts catalogue for your exact motor type.

From memory, it should not make a huge difference as long as we get the correct heating / cooling type.
With or without air-con.

As yours is without air-con, and yours is a "R" VIN, then it should be the same as mine.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

PM received.

I can confirm that the part number is
90 464 660

And the chassis number range is from the middle of L reg onwards. (P VIN) onwards.
dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

Thanks Rob, I will order it straight away.
dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

The replacement heater blower arrived from Germany via DHL late yesterday evening. The car is going for it's MOT tomorrow so I wasn't planning to attempt to fit it before that. Your responses show that I will need to modify the heater casing. What tool did you use to modify it? Also is the area that needs to be "eased" easily recognized?
I'm looking forward to listening to Classic FM again without external accompaniment!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is where the casing curls back in on itself to enclose the ends of the drum blades.

I removed about 3mm (1/8th inch) of plastic on all casings to clear the drum.
It is easier to understand when you are there looking at it.

If you do not, the casing rubs on the drum ends causing a louder howl, or seizes the drum altogether.

As for tooling, I used edge cutters and worked my way from front to back, and then tidied it all up with a file.

I am sure this is where a dremell would come in handy with a rotary burr, carburundum tip or a small cutting disk.

Despite my way sounding a bit rough-ass, it looks okay and sounds okay. There is a bit of motor drone at top speed, but I presume that is due to thinner looking rubber boots on the three location ribs.

Choose the best three boots from the two motors.

If I was mounting the day before, I may be tempted to put a dab of bathroom seal silicone in the sockets and perhaps the boots to remove any air gap around / in the boots.

I said the day before, because I would not want to "use the motor in anger" whilst the silicone is soft.
Just run it long enough to settle the motor in place.
dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

Thanks Rob, That's Tuesday's job lined up.

Compliments of the season to you and yours.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

My pleasure -
I will see if I can get a pretty sketch up for you.
Crank up the old Visio program

Update -
Here you go...

dorsetdave

Post by dorsetdave »

Thanks Rob. I took the car in for it's M.O.T. and the tester who also services the car noticed the squeak. I explained that I had a new motor and he said we will give the existing one more lubricant . He did and it's running fine. I will keep your excellent diagram for when it does quit.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

No problem.
Hopefully he caught it in plenty of time.

Mine was fine the first time that I lubricated it - it lasted a few years.

Unfortunately, this time is did not last for long before the squeak came back.