Speeding up the fuel gauge

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Skara

Speeding up the fuel gauge

Post by Skara »

It's not a fault in general but I was just wondering is there a way to speed up the fuel gauge. When the tank is full it needs about 10-20 seconds to show the full mark. I know that it' better not to touch anything if everthing works as it should but I was just wondering if anyone here done something like that ?
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Speeding up the fuel gauge

Post by Robsey »

When I had the needle gauge, it used to get up to the correct level very quickly.
Probably 1 to 2 seconds maximum.

I have Kadett-E digital gauges now, and they read the correct level in less than 1 second.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

All three Cavaliers I had always had slow rising needles, I never had a full tank so can't compare the times from memory but I thought it's normal for them to rise slowly, just the way the gauge operates.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Skara

Post by Skara »

Yes I know it's normal it's doing this since I own it but just a thought maybe someone done something similar, not that I can't live with it.
Steven715

Post by Steven715 »

I could be wrong, but I think the gages work with a bi-matalic strip they warm up so to speak so unless you replace the gauge to an electronic style not sure if this is available or not though.
1995 (N) Cavalier 2.0 16V CDX
X20XVE Engine
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Actually, I think a slow-acting guage is an advantage - it stops the needle flickering around when driving with the petrol sloshing around in the tank. I'm old enough to remember cars being advertised with such damped gauges as an improvement!
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic