Ignition coil testing

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Skara

Ignition coil testing

Post by Skara »

Anyone on here know how to test the ignition coil (Delco Remy coil, C16NZ engine) with a multimeter. The other night I started the car put it in neutral and drove it down the hill for about a minute when I got down the hill the car just died, it's cranking, getting fuel but does not have spark. I'm guessing ECU, coil or ignition module so I'm trying to find out which one is it ?
cavalier1990

Re: Ignition coil testing

Post by cavalier1990 »

To test coil if you put the ohm meter across the two small terminals you should get an almost short circuit, between one low tension - the small connector - either one, and the output where spark is fired from, you should get an opel circuit. Also test voltage supply to coil, you'll need to get someone to crank it.

Would also check dizzy cap as a matter of course for wear/cracks/worn or clogged up pick ups, and make sure the little spring brush in centre of cap is still there and not worn out.
Skara

Re: Ignition coil testing

Post by Skara »

Thanks for the reply, dizzy cap is new so it's not that. Car started two days after as usual only thing I did was took off coil and cleaned the contacts and took off negative battery terminal for about 2-3 hours. I'm guessing ECU is on it's way out as I'm hunting for a code 45 for almost 5 years now but I might be wrong.