ABS instrument light not working

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Skara

ABS instrument light not working

Post by Skara »

Ok so I bought second hand car with ABS (C20NE, 93. model year)and I noticed the ABS light on the instrument panel is never on, as I read somewhere it should be on when ignition on, and turn off after 4 seconds if no fault was present however I get nothing. I also tried shorting pins A and K and look for diagnostic codes, still nothing. I checked the bulb on instrument panel it's fine and all the fuses are fine. It's my first time looking at the ABS system so if anyone knows what the problem could be I would appreciate it.
Cavalier342

Re: ABS instrument light not working

Post by Cavalier342 »

Are you sure the bulb is definitely ok? Did you try swapping it with another one that you know works? They are very small so not easy to tell if they are broken or not.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Skara

Post by Skara »

Yep swaped it with another one tried that still to no awail something else is the problem here.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Silly question, I apologize, but has the car got ABS fitted? Early 90's models here with 2.0l engines mostly didn't have it fitted as standard from what I remember.

Can't think of what else would cause the light to not function, maybe the ABS control module?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Looking at the Haynes manual,

You need to check the ABS module itself as follows: -

There are two earth / ground wires that need to be checked at the connector and where it goes to the chassis.

Then there is the wire for the diagnostic link to the module. This shares the same plug as the black / yellow wire from the brake switch.

Finally - there are two relays in the plastic casing of the ABS module.

You could check these for operation and the condition / cleanliness of their connector pins / legs.
Skara

Post by Skara »

Just to answer question if it has ABS fitted :

I tried and checked the instrument cluster with multimeter (continuity) where the ABS lamp pins are(B pin and 1 pin)and I get nothing I don's know if that is suposed to be like that because on other bulbs on cluster I get ''beep'' from multimeter when checking them
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I can clearly see a module between the relay box and power steering fluid resevoir.

So it has ABS.

Maybe the connector pins are corroded - causing an open circuit (or excessive resistance).

Otherwise, there are the grounds or the internal relays.