Hidden relays

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

paul_34

Hidden relays

Post by paul_34 »

Anyone know what each of these relays control?

https://app.photobucket.com/u/paul_td/a ... c6579d86a5

Took the td out for its first run since fitting a new battery. After about 20 minutes driving I started to hear a sound like a relay cutting in and out behind the clocks. I almost entered panic mode but everything was working as it should and with one eye on the voltmeter I couldn't see any fluctuations. Sounded like the intermittent wiper relay only heavier with 5/6 second intervals :scratch
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Hidden relays

Post by Robsey »

Try this thread here.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4904

Keep scrolling through the thread until you start to see model years being listed in bold.

The relays and additional modules are listed in full, complete with location for each model year.
So find your year, and look for relays mounted upon the "relay frame behind the main fuse box".

The one I know for certain is the beige / tan coloured relay, which is for your heated rear window and door mirror demisters if you have electric mirrors.
paul_34

Re: Hidden relays

Post by paul_34 »

Thank you Robsey.

I couldn't find any problem at all. I double checked everything that I disturbed while checking for the parasitic drain.

Took it for a drive on Monday and it was faultless. Trouble is I can't go too far during lockdown.

I think it has just about come to the end of its life. I've had it 16 years this year. It has only failed its MOT once during my ownership but last year I had to weld the hell out of it. 16 years doesn't sound that long, but I was 35 when I bought it and I'll be 50 this year :shock: As you get older your patience and enthusiasm starts to disappear.

Hopefully this year we'll have some kind of normal summer. Would be nice to get a few more thousand on the clock.