Bi colour leds

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

ilovedmymantas

Bi colour leds

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I have a bright 5mm led with fitted resistor that I planned to fit(in) below the rear washer nozzle as a high level brake light.

As this hasn't happened yet my mind wandered and I thought why not take it a stage further and fit a red/yellow led so I could include an extra hazard warning light?
That's where it got confusing. I was looking at this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-OSRYMC5B3 ... SwhJlfYOz1
and there doesn't seem to be a resistor (or two?).

Can anyone advise and recommend what I need?

matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Bi colour leds

Post by Robsey »

As it quotes "12 volt LED", it can be assumed that the LED will work at 12 volts without the need to add in any extra resistors.

You would need quite a few of these to make up a functional hazard or brake light.

But it sounds like a fun project.

The sort of thing that I woud do ;)
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Are you allowed a third hazzard light?

It would be better with a diffuse lens LED, the one listed is clear and has a narrow angle, so might not see it if you move to the side.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I would agree - diffused lens for wider light dispersion.

Those clear lenses are okay for localised illumination.. such as inside a switch etc..
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

You can run some wires behind the trim panels from the tail light clusters behind the rear plastic trim around the D-pillar, I've done it before, just rigged up some regular red LEDs for extra brake lights. They come on when the brake lights come on, all you're doing is adding extra lights to the brake lights. And LEDs don't draw much power so no worries about extra fuses or resistors or anything. You'll have to check which terminals on the light clusters are for the brake lights, I think the top one and one for Earth, I can't remember exactly. Just practice with a spare 12V LED if you have any kicking about.

I haven't done the same with the indicators but in theory it's exactly the same thing, all you're doing is adding some LEDs to the indicator circuit.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Thanks guys.

Apologies for the lazy quotes
Robsey wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:54 am As it quotes "12 volt LED", it can be assumed that the LED will work at 12 volts without the need to add in any extra resistors.

You would need quite a few of these to make up a functional hazard or brake light.

Praise indeed!
Unlike yourself, My mad ideas(otherwise known as projects :lol:) seldom get finished though, the thinking through takes longer these days and something else usually pops into my head, case in point :roll:
This was a follow through from being shunted last year and wanting higher visibility. Shame I can't fit a laser :lol:
The original thought was to subtly mod the rear washer jet and incorporate a bright red led.
this one's knackered but I've got a new one so something to practise on. It was less than four quid from Germany, I should have bought a couple to cover the postage :evil:

I checked the gov mot site a while back and one led seems to be fine, with almost no restrictions on viewing angles :).
vexorg wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:08 am Are you allowed a third hazzard light?

It would be better with a diffuse lens LED, the one listed is clear and has a narrow angle, so might not see it if you move to the side.
I can't find anything on the gov mot site that says you can or can't, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... tion-4-4-1 just that indicators and repeaters must be amber but no mention of additional lights.
I'm thinking of recovery vehicles with lightbars :scratch
I guess it would be down to the mot tester to pass yellow. I know I could, with help, have the red and yellow illuminate simultaneously for amber but that's just more hassle.
I'm red/green colour-blind so yellow has a better chance of me seeing it. Red and orange/amber all look the same to me :(
Robsey wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:12 pm I would agree - diffused lens for wider light dispersion.

Those clear lenses are okay for localised illumination.. such as inside a switch etc..
After last years very expensive bump I want to make sure I'm seen.
I know the pics on ebay aren't always accurate but you've got to go on something.
If the pics are fairly accurate the led should show a focussed beam (I even considered foil or white paint behind the housing to increase focus to the rear) and the wider-angle that lights up the back window. That's the theory anyway, as soon as I can work out the angle I want.
I bought two (red) clear leds because on a budget I have the option of original or wet'n'dry diffused to experiment with.

I just want to be seen :wall
-------------------------------------------------------------

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Thanks guys.

Apologies for the lazy quotes
Robsey wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:54 am As it quotes "12 volt LED", it can be assumed that the LED will work at 12 volts without the need to add in any extra resistors.

Praise indeed!
Unlike yourself, My mad ideas(otherwise known as projects :lol:) seldom get finished though, the thinking through takes longer these days and something else usually pops into my head, case in point :roll:
This was a follow through from being shunted last year and wanting higher visibility. Shame I can't fit a laser :lol:
The original thought was to subtly mod the rear washer jet and incorporate a bright red led.
this one's knackered but I've got a new one so something to practise on. It was less than four quid from Germany, I should have bought a couple to justify the postage :evil:

I checked the gov mot site a while back and one led seems to be fine, with almost no restrictions on viewing angles :).
vexorg wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:08 am Are you allowed a third hazzard light?

I can't find anything on the gov mot site that says you can or can't, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... tion-4-4-1 just that indicators and repeaters must be amber but no mention of additional lights.
I'm thinking of recovery vehicles with lightbars :scratch
I guess it would be down to the mot tester to pass yellow. I know I could, with help, have the red and yellow illuminate simultaneously for orange/ amber but that's just more hassle.
I'm red/green colour-blind so yellow has a better chance of me seeing it. Red and orange/amber all look the same to me :(
Robsey wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:12 pm I would agree - diffused lens for wider light dispersion.

After last years very expensive bump I want to make sure I'm seen.
I know the pics on ebay aren't always accurate but you've got to go on something.
If the pics are fairly accurate the led should show a focussed beam (I even considered foil or white paint behind the housing to increase focus to the rear) and the wider-angle that lights up the back window. That's the theory anyway, as soon as I can work out the angle I want.
I bought two (red) clear leds because on a budget I have the option of original or wet'n'dry diffused to experiment with.

I just want to be seen :wall
-------------------------------------------------------------

matt

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt