Toad Powerkey issue - GSi non start

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Calibre500

Toad Powerkey issue - GSi non start

Post by Calibre500 »

Hi. I have an issue with no fuel from GSi getting to the fuel rail. The Clifford alarm initially was seized with immobiliser on but had electrician come and remove the whole alarm. GSi also has a Toad Powerkey which I think is the issue. Car was starting fine but fell off the axle stands and the fuel line got punctured as it was leaking fuel but still started and had moved it in and out of the drive. But coming back to it a week or so later and it wouldn't start.

What I need help with is locating the module and removing it totally. There's a loop around the steering column which leads to the LED but that's it. So where's is the remaining wiring/module?? Thanks in advance.
Calibre500

Re: Toad Powerkey issue - GSi non start

Post by Calibre500 »

Can anyone help with this???
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sorry - I have no knowledge of the power-key facility.

Being a third-party fitment, it is down to how the original installer 'spliced' into the car wiring.

I had a Toad / Meta alarm fitted in the 90's, and the fitter hacked into the main loom behind the glove-box and along the left sill (there is a major loom under the plastic cover.) Check along the wiring between the big connector in the left front footwell and the left b-pillar.

If they really had brains, then they may have spliced into the yellow connector behind the glove-box.
A big 25 pin yellow plug.

Assuming it is the immobiliser part, then I would look for cuts or connections in the blue/red fuel pump power feed wire.

General route should be -
from fuse 11 to the fuel pump relay.
From the relay to the big yellow connector.
From the yellow connector to the fuel pump.
And fuel pump to ground.

As said - follow the blue / red wires

Part locations
Fuse 11 - under the dash driver's side.
Fuel pump relay - right side kick panel close to central locking module.
Yellow connector - tucked up behind glovebox or in left side next to the glovebox.
Main floor Connector -X6 in left footwell - tucked in the left side.
Then just follow cabling along the left sill panel.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Basic question, but do you have the fuel lines right way round if you've been working on them?
David
Calibre500

Post by Calibre500 »

Thank you for your input. I'll try and look at those things. Is the fuel pump relay different or same as fuel injection relay? I'd not heard of a fuel pump relay before. I've tried direct live to the pump and that works.

The fuel lines have not been messed with at moment. Only the pump and fuel injection relay have been checked. Again not sure if the second injection relay is working as it was a spare and not sure if they can be checked off the car with a multimeter.

All help/advice appreciated as am really stuck as need to get roof work done and have to move car before scaffolding can go up. Cheers.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is the same relay.
It controls both the fuel injectors and the fuel pump.

The only other wire is a blue / red from the body loom to the ECU loom. In the small square connectors strapped to the front of the central locking module.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Check for voltage on F11 when you try start it.
David
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

You said that the fuel line got punctured has this been repaired ? because the fuel could of drained back out of the system causing an airlock passed the hole & it could be sucking in air as well as fuel.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

This is true, but norminally it should only take 20 or 30 seconds of cranking before the fuel makes it's way to the throttle body.

For me, the usual culprets are the crank angle sensor being knocked out of alignment... or loss of compression after the car has been laid up for a lengthy period.

In the first instance - checking for fuel delivery and checking for a spark are the first ports of call.
Calibre500

Post by Calibre500 »

Thanks for your input. I'll try my best to see if I can check all these things. Might take me a while but will update.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have scoured the tinterweb for the past few days.
I could not see any information at all about the "Powerkey"

Sadly, it will be a matter of looking for any wiring that does not look original.

If professionally fitted, it should be quite easy to spot.
It will be a mess, and there will be random joints wrapped in shiny black pvc tape.
(As per typical 90's Toad installation standards).
Calibre500

Post by Calibre500 »

Thank you everyone especially Robert. As always, u have gone above and beyond. Not been able to check anything as yet due to extremely unbearable hot weather. See what the coming week brings. Have got priority MOT work on my Zafira to do so need to get that sorted first.
Calibre500

Post by Calibre500 »

Apologies, predictive text and me not checking. Should say Robsey not Robert!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Don't worry - Robert is my proper name.

I usually get called that when I am in trouble -ha ha.

Same here with the hot weather. Too hot to go jacking up the car to fit the catalytic converter...