Airbag Module/Dash light

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

cavalier1990

Airbag Module/Dash light

Post by cavalier1990 »

Recently had my steering wheel off and didn't know or realise at the time but if you switch the ignition on while steering wheel/airbag plug is off, it sets the module to a fault code (Take note), somthing like that anyway. In short (Excuse the pun) the red light is on on dash.

I got another airbag module the same part number, and swapped it over, result - the light is still on.

I'm not entirely sure that spare unit was ok, but what I'm not sure about is do you not need to re-program the ECU using tech1 perhaps? How else could I get the light out bar taking the bulb out. Other than that if anyone has a know good module spare it'd be very much appreciated. MOT coming up.

Cheers

Andy
vexorg

Re: Airbag Module/Dash light

Post by vexorg »

Needs diagnostics to turn it off if it's been triggered.

Not sure if opcom will do it, so tech1 or autoscanner
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I don't think OpCom will touch the cavalier.

But I think you have Autoscanner, so that should do it for you. If not, I can lend you mine again to get you out of a pickle.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

opcom had random results on the calibra, so might work enough for the airbag.
David
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:03 pm I don't think OpCom will touch the cavalier.

But I think you have Autoscanner, so that should do it for you. If not, I can lend you mine again to get you out of a pickle.
I didn't realise autoscanner worked on the older tech1s, but I'll give it a look. Is it just a setting somewhere to reset or turn off the light? Thanks for offer of opelscanner Robsey, very handy the first time.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It should be a matter of selecting the air bag ecu for your car.
And then follow any prompts -hopefully there will be an option to clear any fault codes.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I think it's under fault codes, then there is an option to clear faults at the bottom, been a while since I used autoscanner
David
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Cool, thanks chaps will have a gander in due course.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Could you not just disconnect the battery for a bit?

I've got a Tech1 and would happily clear the code for you. You are a bit far away from me though!
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

The airbag light never fixes itself.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Agreed,
As David states.
The airbag light cannot reset itself.
It needs Tech 1 or similar device to reset.
Greydj

Post by Greydj »

It has been known that the bulb gets removed instead. Its an MoT advisory.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

James McGrath wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:43 am Could you not just disconnect the battery for a bit?

I've got a Tech1 and would happily clear the code for you. You are a bit far away from me though!
Many thanks for the offer James, if only I could disconnect the battery. It must be a hard coded fault that is written to the internal wizardry, for safety's sake of course! If I can't sort it with autoscanner, it'll need to be a bulb out job, which is usually a steering wheel off job again!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have never took the wheel off to get the dash out.
Just the upper plastic cowling cover.

There is a how 2 for that ;)

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=14748

Be careful about flexing the plastic panels if your car is very cold at this time of year. Cold plastic is more likely to crack or break.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

It is a lot easier with the steering wheel off, but it can be done without.

Though a few times I've convinced myself it's not possible, worse when you have it out and it wont go back in, and you cant figure out how you managed it. Just has to be rotated the right way as it comes out to the side.
David
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Tried the opcom tonight with various different cables, mucking about, couldn't get it to work with the cavy. Although I'm so sure I got it to work the last time.

Kept asking for the driver to be updated or added, there is a couple of different versions of opcom, tried them all, one has a driver file but couldn't locate the file in device manager to update the driver. I think it might be because I haven't installed it as such just running it from the pen drive.

There is a garage near me called auto-vauxltd who have tech1, so I'm going to buzz them tomorrow see if I can get it in to get reset. I'll also take the spare module with me in case the module I tried, the spare one, is goosed.

Hopefully can get this damn light off - doin my head in!
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Tech 1 is the answer James did mine in a matter of minutes.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Thankfully the guy I visited in East Kilbride got the airbag light off, so one less thing to worry about. He also never charged me which was really decent of him, I think he said he liked to see the old motors so probably my visit was a bit of a treat for him.

Had quite a chat with the guy he's been working on VXs since the time of bedfords so he's really got the background and done a lot of the cavys and omega type of era as well. He says he hasn't used the tech1 for 6 years, he used to have 2 tech1 units but sold one to a guy. I mentioned if he was ever selling it let me know, but it sounded like he wanted to keep this one.

Anyone in the central belt needing any old VX help would be worth a visit, this is the site:

http://www.autovauxltd.co.uk/

Obviously his main work now is newer VXs and other cars, he said they've got some contract with vauxhall that gives them the most recent up to date diagnosis software for the new cars so that's his bread and butter. Obviously something us mere mortals couldn't afford.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Should probably have looked at your location, I drive though east kilbride every day to work :oops: :oops: :oops:
David