Vectra-C and Astra-H (mk5) Audio Thread.

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Robsey
Club Admin

Vectra-C and Astra-H (mk5) Audio Thread.

Post by Robsey »

Split from the Astravan mk2 topic to avoid losing the plot of the original thread found here.

https://www.vauxhallcavalier.com/forum/ ... 00#p177800

-------------------------------------

Yes - on all vans upto 2014, it was only the front speakers fitted. And no doubt a CD30 cd radio and basic board info display.

Rear speakers can be fitted, but the head-unit has to be programmed as for a car, not for a van.

A two minute job with a £20 OpCom interface.
Or an expensive two minute job at the dealers withTech 2, MDI / GDI.

As for radio only... the R10 radio and CC20 'compact cassette' players were still available as late as 2005 on base model Vectra-C / Astra-H, but I have never seen either unit... not even on ebay.

For the Mk5, I would recommend the CDC40 Opera for sound quality - built-in amplifier and graphic equaliser,
CD multi-changer, and DAB (optional separate module).. and bluetooth (optional separate module).
3cav3

Re: Bedford Astravan MK2

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 pm Yes - on all vans upto 2014, it was only the front speakers fitted.

Rear speakers can be fitted, but the head-unit has to be programmed as for a car, not for a van.

A two minute job with a £20 OpCom interface.
Or an expensive two minute job at the dealers withTech 2, MDI / GDI.

As for radio only... the R10 radio and CC20 cassette players were still available as late as 2005 on base model Vectra-C / Astra-H, but I have never seen either unit... not even on ebay.

For the Mk5, I would recommend the CDC40 Opera for sound quality - built-in amplifier and graphic equaliser,
CD multi-changer, and DAB (optional separate module).. and bluetooth (optional separate module).
I think the above sums up the main reason I'm trying to get this old Bedford back on the road, not one single sensor or module fitted. If a car manufacturer was to release a new Van or car tomorrow without any electronics, id be straight down the main dealer and place my order. It seems that makers are often fitting gubbins for the sake of making life hard. Take for example my Volvo C70, there is at least 4 separate electronic control units for the seats alone! I'm old school when it comes to vehicles, give me mechanical any day.
3cav3

Re: Bedford Astravan MK2

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 pm Yes - on all vans upto 2014, it was only the front speakers fitted. And no doubt a CD30 cd radio and basic board info display.

As for radio only... the R10 radio and CC20 'compact cassette' players were still available as late as 2005 on base model Vectra-C / Astra-H, but I have never seen either unit... not even on ebay.

My mk5 has a cd30, which is very reasonable in terms of sound and the 57 plate had a basic display, but the 61 plate has I believe a GID mono display? Also a built in hands free.
Sometimes I'm tempted to fit a double din lcd screen, but I think this will knock out the display? And these days I only tend to drive to and from work in it, so not really worth the hassle and expense.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Vectra-C and Astra-H (mk5) Audio Thread.

Post by Robsey »

It is perfectly possible to fit an aftermarket radio with a fancy-dancy full colour lcd screen - without upsetting the car's own info display.

The wife wanted one on her Vectra-C (very similar set up to the Astra-H).

The info display is not affected by the aftermarket headunit / radio, except that I need a diagnostic tool twice a year to set the time.

This is because her radio is an early Eonon (chinese junk) head-unit running Windows Compact Edition 6 software - WINCE 6.

I believe the modern Android head-units are able to communicate with the car display and so are able to set the time.

Just for info - when people in China sell these radios for the Vectra, they fail to realise that the Vectra panel is flatter and slightly curved (looking from the top).
The Astra panel has a very obvious "V" profile when viewed from above, and this is the shape promoted as for the Vectra.

It messes up my OCD having a shiny black radio with a pronounced V, when the dash is a gently curved anthracite affair.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Following on from that though.

It does allow for a lot more options:-
Bluetooth - both phone and audio
SD Card (16 gB max Micro SD)
USB / Memory stick (16 gB max USB)
CD / DVD Player.

You were originally able to buy extras such as digital tv (DVBt) and DAB, but these modules are now long since obsolete.
But you can still easily buy a number plate mounted Reversing Camera - from chinese vendors on ebay.

--------------

But I do prefer the inbuilt systems of the original Vauxhall CD70 Navi and the CDC40 Opera with DAB.

If you think the CD30 sounds okay, then I can confirm that the two higher spec units above will sound much better.

Here is the CD70 Navi in my Cavalier back in 2013

And my proposed CDC40, DAB, and bluetooth.

--------

And I presume your Graphic Info Display is like this.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Oddly -
I have not posted much on the Vectra-C forum for years, but I have recently seen a huge spike in requests for information about the radios and displays fitted to the 2005 onwards Vectra-C.

It is amazing how much info I knew back then, and how rusty I have become.

Grey cells have needed a good wobble, but it is slowly coming back to me.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

If you look at the 5th post on page 28 of my Astra Van project you will see my display. Perhaps I have the name wrong as its different to your screen. It allows me to link my phone in via Bluetooth and also locks out with an ice warning below 3degrees until you press the scroll button inwards?
Theold 57plate Astra used to show just 2 lines of text. This 61plate van is a bit strange in spec as it has Bluetooth, parking sensors ,traction control and Air con, but is a base model Club? Maybe it was a demonstrator when new that Vauxhall plushed up a bit as it would of been cheaper to buy a Sportive instead if you wanted these extras.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

That is a graphic info display in night mode.
The ice crystal is a standard pre-programmed option on all graphic and colour displays, whereas the basic triple info display (with clock setting buttons on the bezel) and the board info display (full size pixel display) simply flashed the temperature.

The phone is an added option (separate module), which can be added to cars with anything but the triple info display.

For the geeks, the phone module has the attractive name of "UHP4" module... probably some crazy German initials from the Opel design team.

Here is a picture of the various displays on the Astra, rudely pinched from another forum.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Early CD30 with triple info display.

Image.

Now then - a word of warning for you...

If you remove your CD30 radio, then the UHP4 may not work properly as it's audio is plumbed into the head-unit.

However, most aftermarket radios come with in-built bluetooth and microphone.
And your display would say phone or similar.