x20xev crankshaft sensor problems

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

ilovedmymantas

Re: x20xev crankshaft sensor problems

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:16 pm There are definitely more sensors on the XEV to tighten up emissions, hence the X prefix engine code.

There is just one sensor (crank angle sensor) on the SPi NZ engines and MPi 8 valve NE and SEH engines.

The XE kept things quite simple, but has the 16 valve interference engine block.
Liked for it's moderately simple but raw 150 bhp engine.

Sadly the XEV lost about 14 ponies compared to the XE, but if well maintained and not messed with, it is a very capable and reliable unit.
Unfortunately more sensors = more to go wrong.

As with any Vauxhall, where possible original Bosch or Pierburg parts are essential where still available.
My first cav was an SEH (I think). Does that mean, unlike the XEV, It wouldn't drive home in limp mode?
I was quite happy with the power in the sri, the wide ratio gearbox in the cdx was the disappointment although it does have safety benefits, i'm seldom tempted to drag from the lights anymore when a car's in the outside lane to filter.
I still hanker for a lottery win to customise the gearbox, first three close ratio, four and five wide. That's unlikely to happen so I'll have to be content acting my age :lol:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Yeah, the SEH was the 8v, and an even simpler eninge.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The 20SEH was the '130' engine that many early SRi's were fitted with.
It is a pre-catalyst engine very similar to the pre-cat 20NE, with a slightly different camshaft profile.
But with more oomph.
Same ECU (Motronic 1.5) but mapped and SPS programmed slightly differently.

For info - you could run a 20NE with an SEH ECU, but it would run a bit thirstier, with no real bhp benefit.

It can still have many of the engine management issues of the non-cat NE, but at least there is no oxy-sensor milarkey.

And yes, all the 8v engines (SEH, NE, and NZ) are perfectly safe if the timing belt lets go.