Putting Full CAN Infotainment in a Cavalier

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

very very impressive :D

You could use a Astra G stick with the Cavalier bush to try and remove some of the obstruction :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Due to shorter days and longer nights, I have been able to get a picture of the CD70 working...In night-time mode.
cavvy night 2.jpg
cavvy night 2.jpg (84.19 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
Did I mention that I am now bogging about with a CIM module to create ignition logic functions?
Worked out all the pin-outs, just need time, money and warmer weather.
I also need to look at my crankshaft first, I think the main rear bearing - (flywheel end), is on it's way out.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

You mentioned it, but I have no clue what one was.
Nice box out job for the rear seal then? :(
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

CIM module, is a collumn integrated module. (steering collumn)

It's function is to take inputs from the ignition switch barrel, steering wheel radio controls, horn switch, ABS sensor / module,steering angle sensor, Indicator and main-beam switch, the wiper switch and cruise control buttons and finally the air-bag system.

It then sends out data-packet messages to the other modules to generate the necessary functions.

In my case, it will take the ignition barrel position, send a signal to the body control module, which then sends a further signal to my audio system telling it whether the ignition is switched on or off...
end result is ignition logic control.

Regarding the gearbox out job...it will be a sump off job too as it is a rumbling main bearing..not just the seal. :(
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

This was my full blue led dash, before I got bored of it!!

Consists of LED converted heater panel
CD300 with blue led conversion
Astra MK2 GTE Digi-Dash, GSI fuel computerand an Astra Mk3 TID all with blue LED conversions.
Blu dash.JPG
Blu dash.JPG (42.86 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Robsey wrote:CIM module, is a collumn integrated module. (steering collumn)

It's function is to take inputs from the ignition switch barrel, steering wheel radio controls, horn switch, ABS sensor / module,steering angle sensor, Indicator and main-beam switch, the wiper switch and cruise control buttons and finally the air-bag system.

It then sends out data-packet messages to the other modules to generate the necessary functions.

In my case, it will take the ignition barrel position, send a signal to the body control module, which then sends a further signal to my audio system telling it whether the ignition is switched on or off...
end result is ignition logic control.

Regarding the gearbox out job...it will be a sump off job too as it is a rumbling main bearing..not just the seal. :(
Ouch, rough job.
Sounds like a big job on both. I want the ignition off but radio on function seen in Vectra's - pretty sure I have it worked out now so shouldn't take long to implement :D
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Depending on your head unit, can't you do that by turning off the ignition logic function.
Sure there is a section in the audio manual about this for the SC303 and the CD300...both quite basic Vx radio's.

Failing that, you can still turn the radio on for 1 hr at a time with the ignition off.
limited to 1 hr to save killing your battery.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Robsey wrote:Depending on your head unit, can't you do that by turning off the ignition logic function.
Sure there is a section in the audio manual about this for the SC303 and the CD300...both quite basic Vx radio's.

Failing that, you can still turn the radio on for 1 hr at a time with the ignition off.
limited to 1 hr to save killing your battery.
Aye, that side of things is controled by the multi-timer - however I have a cunning plan :D
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Envoy CDX wrote:Aye, that side of things is controled by the multi-timer - however I have a cunning plan :D
Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Also is there a way to get accessory live (not ignition live) on the Cavalier ignition switch.?.

Finally, I have now done a CIM module test run.
I now have the ignition logic, which is switchable (on/off) within the head-unit settings screen.

I also have gained the warning screen for when the temperature dips below 3 degrees C.

I believe also now that it will be possible to link my diagnostic line to my CIM module, which will then generate all the necessary info for the Board Computer Screen (BC on the CD70).
Previously I got --- on the BC screen for all details, even road speed,however now that I have fitted the CIM, these have come back with F.
I think I mentioned dabbling with this several posts ago!!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I know people are always asking for pictures, so here's two more.
Image012.jpg
Image012.jpg (84.11 KiB) Viewed 2644 times
The Dash from the driver's window.
Image015.jpg
The warning screen - just below 3 degrees C (2.5 C)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Robsey wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:[Aye, that side of things is controled by the multi-timer - however I have a cunning plan :D
Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Also is there a way to get accessory live (not ignition live) on the Cavalier ignition switch.?
Yeah, thats what I've been looking into - and it's looking more promising as I look into it.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

So, will this double up as a fuel computer and so on as well Rob?
It's certainly more involved than I'd have gone with it. I like it though :D
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Envoy CDX wrote:So, will this double up as a fuel computer and so on as well Rob?
It's certainly more involved than I'd have gone with it. I like it though :D
Fuel computer is not really a possibility, as the BC (Board Computer) functions in KWP format, but need to be CAN protocol on the display module.

The sat nav works a treat, and so means that my Tom Tom has been collecting dust for quite some time now.
The CD70 headunit is also quite good as it has totally programmable audio settings, treble, base, talk, rock, pop, classical and jazz settings.
Sounds better than my CD300 did through the car's original speakers.
cavalierclaire

Post by cavalierclaire »

Nice job done Robsey, very impressive. :D
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

TurboDan wrote:Robsey - You know the radio you have, is it possible to wire one of them up to run on its own using the mk3 astra GSI MFD that i have in my cav? Ie. so the display works etc..
Try a radio and screen from a Corsa-C...they are barely touched by the can-bus system.
Temp Sensor and ABS wires still plug into the screen...also most of the MFD's are little different from the Triple info Displays and Board Info Displays.
My set-up is a sat-nav, and so the Astra MFD will not show arrows and symbols etc...but the basic radio's CD30 and CD30 mp3 can possibly be used.

The CDC40 (with multi changer and optional DAB) and the CD70 Navi will need at least a monchrome graphical display...again, you could see if a Corsa GID will work.
Most of the Corsa displays are still crammed into the narrow pod on top of the dash. Although full size screens can be fitted by using an out-size pod for the dash top...not sure if this can be done on an Astra 3 or Astra 4.

Also Corsa's upto 2001 definately used the same MFD as the Astra 3 and Astra 4.

Need to have a look around and see....again Corsa C audio parts (2001 to 2007) are your best bet...don't forget though that all these radios are Double Din, not single din units (so twice as tall, and will need a lot of reshaping, cutting back of the dash area to accommodate them.

Also all cars after October 2004 use a totally different connector called a Quadlock...rather than the old fashioned ISO plug.

A lot of people use "SOT" leads to add in a cable adaption to take telephone, ipod kits or to do this very change in radio specification.

By far the easiest option...and the most cost effective one is to buy an aftermarket (JVC, Sony, Kenwood etc) unit with single din, but with flip out DVD or map screen etc...what ever you need.

Even without your radio fitted, your Astra MFD will still work, as if the radio is turned off - that is, it shows time, and temp and whatever it is set-up to do...just no radio info.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Hmm well as you can see from this pic:

I allready have the astra gsi MFD wired in and working fine and also wired upto the CDR500 and vectra steering controls, but what i wanted was a standard vauxhall radio to work with it that can play MP3's but there aren't any single din ones. So thats why i was asking about the later double din ones. Don't want to change the mfd really as it works really well there.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

This is a mega thread regurgitation post.

I have had the MS4150 radio fitted to my car for about a year now, and to be honest, having a 6 disc cd changer and monochrome graphic display sat nav has been adequate throughout that time.

But

I have grown bored of the bland little radio that is a bit tinny sounding - even with the loudness function.

So rather than plastering all over my WIP thread, I thought that I would consider my options on this thread.

The most likely plan is to refit my CD70 sat nav radio with full colour map display.
I also have a purpose built bluetooth module to go with it, so fully integrated into the radio and display.

The only thing it will not do is board computer functions.
I simply do not have enough knowledge to convert KWP signals to data streams that the CAN based infotainment system can understand.

So I will keep my Cavalier fuel computer instead. Although it could do with a new legend to cover the existing scratched printed panel.

The down side to going down the CD70 route is that it will require all my current central dash components to be stripped out again,

the re-installation of the Vectra-C modified (slimmed down) dash loom, and all the associated modules.

Then re-build it all back up again.

Whilst fitting the loom, it is my intention to fit the cruise control loom at the same time.

Finally - hopefully have it all installed and looking pretty for VBOA in July.

So just to remind you of what is planned.
Here are some images of my old set up, plus planned installations.

The head unit and display in revamped in 2017 ready to fit.

And how it used to look in 2013.

And this will need moving down to where the ashtray is now

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As part of the installation,
I am looking at having Aux-In components soldered to the CD70's main circuit board,

And I may have some of the led's of the radio facia changed to break up the sea of yellow.

Nothing major - probably just changing the two control knob illumination rings from yellow to red, blue or green...
Again, I am still undecided.

Any thoughts on colour schemes?

I know Alan will cringe at this thread as he is a fan of keeping things simple and original.

Ordinarily I am too, but most of the interior is filled with non-cavalier parts, such as the Omega sunroof, Omega interior bug-eye light unit, Astra GTE digi dash... so refitting Vectra-C radio parts isn't a huge jump, but probably vulgar enough for some to find totally dis-tasteful.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Okay - a month later and I have decided that I will push ahead with the re-installation of the CD70 and colour display, blue tooth module and aux-in facility.

All the parts are boxed up ready for postage to Bristol, where my friend Gav will do all the led colour changing, smd component fitting and Tech 2 programming work for me.

Next week sees some project time - with or without working power steering pipes.

So the whole centre dash, centre console instruments and glovebox will be coming out again... eek!!

All the CAN network components, miles of loomage and cruise control hopefully going in... ready for the return and installation of all the infotainment gubbins in early June... fingers crossed.

In an odd sort of way, I have taken a liking to green led's,
so I plan to ask Gav to convert the control knobs of the radio to green.
I am a bit bored of the VW Golf-esque blue led milarkey. So no extra blue stuff this time.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Several years ago, I snapped the centre pin in the GPS fakra connector.

This morning at silly o'clock I decided to replace the dodgy fakra plug with a working pcb from a spare radio.

I ended up swapping the whole GPS pcb.

Plugged it all in to my loom and fired it all up.

And hey presto - working sat nav in my kitchen at 2 o'clock in the morning.

In quite a pathetic juvenile way, I was very pleased to see everything working spot on.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Nothing pathetic about being juvenile! I'd be as happy as Larry as well!

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I was talking to my better half this afternoon, saying that I will leave the Grundig SC303 fitted in the Cavalier, as the whole dash, heater panel etc are all working fine.

I have even found a better Nokia bluetooth kit to channel calls through my car speakers, without hacking into the dash loom.

And then what happens? !!

This evening the lad in Bristol messaged me to say -
"This is your display security code",
"The UHP4 unit is fully reset" and
"I will have the bluetooth loom made up tonight, ready to post everything back to you tomorrow."

Typical eh?
Just when I had made up my mind to leave the car alone. :wall

I still have everything in a box, including dash trims, cables, modules and switch gear. So possibly an option for VBOA next year, or a few years from now.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Apologies, but this post should have preceeded the one before it. :oops:

As you would have found in my WIP, due to a lot of difficulties getting the Vectra-C parts back in time for VBOA and Billing, this plan was abandoned. :|

I still pulled out the MS4150, and instead fitted an original SC303 radio from one of James McGrath's fleet.

Using a cassette adapter, and a trusty old Samsung Galaxy S2, I still have a huge catalogue of albums in mp3 format and off-line Google mapping and speed camera app.
Both of which are updated once a month, using work's (NHS) free WiFi when I am parked up at work. 8-)

Hence, why I am currently not in any rush to rip out all the dash again to re-fit the Vectra-C CANbus infotainment system. :roll:

Update : - 13/9/2018.
My uprated Nokia bluetooth kit arrived today.
It is simply plug and play as it daisy-chains into the radio ISO connector. :D
So even less stress on the CD70, CID and UHP4 installation.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

This week saw the arrival of my parts from their holiday in Bristol.

Complete with adapter loom.
I am tempted to merge some wires from the adapter loom into my existing conversion loom.
Less bulk and improve tidiness.

I have also dug out my 18 year old Dell netbook running XP o/s.
I will now be able to reprogram everything in due course.

This does not mean that I will be fitting the CD70, CID and UHP4 to the Cavalier.
My indecisive "jury is still out" on this idea at the moment.
(Just like it is still out with the colour of the FanBlade wheels.)

Maybe if there is enough forum demand to see it fitted at VBOA or Vauxfest next year. (2019).

My head says leave it alone whilst everything works.
My heart is likely to beg for change...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Holy Thread Ressurection Batman!!

Well over a year ago, I sent my display and bluetooth module away, because I was simply unable to divorce the head-unit from the display, before pairing it all up again with the extra gooey goodness of a bluetooth module called a UHP4.
Very catchy name there Vauxhall.

Anyway it came back too late for VauxFest last year. So got put away again and forgotten about.

A week or so ago, I discovered that my conversion lead had not been soldered.

Just twisted together and sleeved. Eek!!

So last night I spent a little over an hour resoldering part of the adapter loom and splicing it into my own loom.

Soldered and loomed up properly this time.

A few teething issues like my headunit was illuminated, but the display was in day mode.
That was a simple fix of fitting the 12 pin plug the correct way round onto the lighting pcb.