help! need the cav back--details inside

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

A-J

help! need the cav back--details inside

Post by A-J »

cav 1.8spi

driving home on friday night ready for a long weekend the dash threw up blackpool illuminations, battery light first, followed by airbag and ECU lights, then after they had gone out (half a mile of steady no load driving to coax it home) there was a burning smell in the car and the brake fluid level light on dim. managed to get it home and tucked up, and endured my weekend in a 1.2 nova with a cherry bomb (not relaxing at all lol) managed to have a peek tonight, and after some suggestions checked the battery, drop tested fine, and still starts first turn of the key, checked the charge rate from the alternator and its charging at 15.2v,

my original assumption was the alty had burnt out, but now i'm thinking something in line with it has burnt out and its overcharging and frying the ecu's. i dont want (read cant afford) that to happen, so i'm stuck in the nova for now til this is sorted, but i dont just want to throw an alternater on if it's a problem someone has come across before, any and all help appreciated muchley
Theres a fine line between stupid and visionary. You just have to be a visionary to see it.
Gaz

Re: help! need the cav back--details inside

Post by Gaz »

yea sounds like an overcharging alternator
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Change the alternator. if it had burnt something serious out you'd know about it. Only thing I can suggest is remove the steering shrouds and inspect as much as the dash loom as possible really.
lights will light dimly if its over charing as it has to go somewhere.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
A-J

Post by A-J »

Swapped the alternator a couple of days ago and it seems to have cleared it. At £107 it wasn't a cheap fix tho, but at least it's garaunteed
Theres a fine line between stupid and visionary. You just have to be a visionary to see it.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

A-J wrote:Swapped the alternator a couple of days ago and it seems to have cleared it. At £107 it wasn't a cheap fix tho, but at least it's garaunteed
Ouch, thats a heafty bill. make sure you keep the receipt for that then.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index