blower

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

solaris

blower

Post by solaris »

hi, anyone ever replaced resitoir for the heater blower? mines on speed 3 but feells like spped one ive been told to replace the resistor under the scuttle panel? its green apparentley, and where can i get a new one , does anyone have any ideas preferably other than a scrap yard maybe.... cheers :)
Greig Sri

Re: blower

Post by Greig Sri »

Yes its green and clipped in to the side of the heater fan. I got one off ebay as Vaux wanted nearly £30 for it.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
carlos_canter

Re: blower

Post by carlos_canter »

Replacing it is easy, connector with 4 wires and unclip it from the motor.

Does your heater fan squeak?

If it does, thats one reason why the resistor has popped, the squeaking is the bearings on the fan partially seized. Ive fitted 7 resistors in the past 2 month and its heading for number 8 now!

All the manuals say that the motor is not user servicable, I removed mine(little fiddly as i didnt remove the wiper mechanism), lubed the main shaft up and hit it. I was trying to get the fan blades off but wouldnt budge, but after hitting it it spun freely, before it was quite stiff to turn.

The resistor block had popped but ive managed to "bodge" it, Theres a little diode on the end of the ceramic block, this is what burns out and stops the feed to the motor. I removed the diode and joined the 2 loops together. It will do until a knackered astra 3 comes into the yard or i can get into the police compound. I was going to get a fan motor from scrap yard(heres a tidy cav just waiting for me), or £220 from main dealer but ther was a genuine one on ebay for £80.

Make sure the motor turns freely, and if it squeaks now and then, be prepared to replace the resistors as often as you put petrol in the tank.
"Redefining success since 1981"