Front Fogs

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Bull

Front Fogs

Post by Bull »

Would my 1.7TD LS have the electical wiring etc to fit some front fogs or do i need to do some sorta rewiring? Lookin at the unpredictable weather i wanna make my cav as visible as possible with the idiots locally.

Any advice/knowledge help gratefully recieved.
himselfunknown

Re: Front Fogs

Post by himselfunknown »

If it has the wiring for the fogs, there will be two connectors strapped to the loom across the front of the car. If you remove the grille, you'll see the loom tucked inside the front panel. The connectors will be roughly where the headlights meet the grille. you might also have to have a headlight out to get to it, I'm not sure. If you're fitting a bumper with fogs, the wires on the fogs are quite long and you'll be able to route them up to where the connector is on the loom.

Please tell me you're only thinking of using the fogs if there's a blizzard. I drove 60 miles last night and the number of tools with their front fogs on, reflecting back up off the ice and dazzling me wasn't funny!!! :shock: :D
Bull

Post by Bull »

Their are far to many numpties who use them incorrectly. I am only planning to use wen visibility is less than 100yds and bein near quite a few sources of water thats lmost mornings atm wen its nt snowing lol.

Cheers for the info will go peruse that area then once its light again
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

L reg and above, probably not unless your VERY lucky, up to a K reg and you should be fine. Seemed to go through a loom change in 93 that saw all the usual optional extra loom plugs disappearing.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

himselfunknown wrote:Please tell me you're only thinking of using the fogs if there's a blizzard. I drove 60 miles last night and the number of tools with their front fogs on, reflecting back up off the ice and dazzling me wasn't funny!!! :shock: :D
Pet hate of mine aswell, the service manager at Audi once told me they are called t*at lamps after I followed him most of the way through the city centre, i asked him why, his reply...

"...cos only t*ats have them on when not needed!"

Couldnt agree more now!

The law does state they are to be used in times of low visibility, when it is raining and snowing. But not for going to the chinese which some tits use them for.
"Redefining success since 1981"
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

You know i didnt know if mine worked untill a week ago, when out of interest i tried them and it turned out i had a bulb out
Bull

Post by Bull »

Envoy CDX wrote:L reg and above, probably not unless your VERY lucky, up to a K reg and you should be fine. Seemed to go through a loom change in 93 that saw all the usual optional extra loom plugs disappearing.
Thats me out then wiv a 94 M reg :cry:

[quote="carlos_canter

The law does state they are to be used in times of low visibility, when it is raining and snowing. But not for going to the chinese which some tits use them for.[/quote]

I believe, altho the way they keep changing the HWC i may be wrong, that its not to be used in the rain due to the dazzle effect. :wall
himselfunknown

Post by himselfunknown »

Bull wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:L reg and above, probably not unless your VERY lucky, up to a K reg and you should be fine. Seemed to go through a loom change in 93 that saw all the usual optional extra loom plugs disappearing.
Thats me out then wiv a 94 M reg :cry:

[quote="carlos_canter

The law does state they are to be used in times of low visibility, when it is raining and snowing. But not for going to the chinese which some tits use them for.
I believe, altho the way they keep changing the HWC i may be wrong, that its not to be used in the rain due to the dazzle effect. :wall[/quote]

If they change the HWC any more, it will be so watered down it will be useless. :wall

Have you had a chance to have a look for the connectors yet? It will only take 5 minutes, and you never know, with Vauxhall randomness they may have picked up a higher spec loom and put that on your car instead, late one afternoon?!?! :D
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have a 1994 (M) 18 LSi, which came without fogs and wiring.

Not a hard job to do.

You will need: -

Fuse for the fog-light position on fuse panel
Either link wire in fuse box at relay position, or the correct relay.

Then you need to insert a live feed from the large connector block in the passenger side footwell / kick panel to the from fog light loom / assemblies.
Then you need to put in the earth returns from the fog light assemblies.

There is a thread on here somewhere with an image of the large connector that I described.

And finally - don't foget to fit the switch!!
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

I have a 93 motorsport & I put a 20A fuse in slot 13 a relay in the slot & a switch in the hole but no fogs connected & the switch lights up when I put the lights on but the relay does not operate nor does the green light on the switch. What have I done wrong ?
Bull

Post by Bull »

Front and rear fogs have separate switches? seems a lil backward to me! was looking at splicing/connecting the 2 together onto the rear foglight wires and switch with a corresponding increase of fuse obv lol.
Vehicles I Run
94 Cavalier LS 1.7TD own since 11/09 Also: 95 Yamaha XJ6S Diversion

Previously owned
93 Astra LS 1.4 04/06-06/09, 90 Fiat Tipo 1.4 (Feb-Nov 05),89 Nissan Micra 1.0 LS (04-05), 92 Seat Ibiza 1.2 (03-04)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

iangsi wrote:I have a 93 motorsport & I put a 20A fuse in slot 13 a relay in the slot & a switch in the hole but no fogs connected & the switch lights up when I put the lights on but the relay does not operate nor does the green light on the switch. What have I done wrong ?
Nowt wrong...just a piece of the wiring missing...
Robsey wrote:Then you need to insert a live feed from the large connector block in the passenger side footwell / kick panel to the from fog light loom / assemblies.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

I am getting mine fitted next week so i shall see what is missing. I have put the relay ,fuse and switch in and the green bit lights up. I am hoping it all works
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You will most likely find that all the wiring is there from the switch and relay and fuse, to the big connector in passenger footwell....

and then nothing!!!

Wiring from this point forward will be needed! (Just one big switched wire through the bulk-head to the engine bay.

Then from here (extend and split this cable into two) to give a live (+12 volt) feed to each fog-lamp assembly.

Then from each fog lamp assembly you wil need an earth return ( brown wire) to the chassis metalwork.

The exact pin number and location in the block is in another thread on this forum.

Look at this thread....location of block is on last posting - page 1
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2700