another bloody problem,with the doors now

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

phalinmegob

another bloody problem,with the doors now

Post by phalinmegob »

hi all, something strange going on with my central locking,sometimes works,sometimes doesnt.in the morning when i unlock drivers door sometimes it unlocks but the central locking doesnt unlock the other doors or turn off the alarm. but strangley after i open the door about three or four inches the other doors then unlock, unfortunatly the alarm goes off as soon as i start to open the door.the locking problem still happens wether the alarm has been enabled or not, but as my other car was stolen a month ago i am very hessitant not to enable the alarm, any got any ideas.
Gaz

Re: another bloody problem,with the doors now

Post by Gaz »

Have the locks been screwdrivered, id suspect the microswitches on the back of the lock arnt disengaging correctly
phalinmegob

Post by phalinmegob »

not that i am aware of,is there a fix ?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

they are only held on by a C clip it just pushes on might be worth taking the doorcard off and see
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I've had a problem like this for a few years now...but I have a Toad / Meta alarm.

I pulled the fuse for my central locking due to this...so I just unlock my doors, and then turn off the alarm

With the door fuse in, the doors would suddenly lock or unlock after about 5 mins, thus setting my alarm off.
But like yours, it was hit and miss whether the other doors locked and unlocked in unison with the driver's door lock / alarm button.

Not quite the same as yours, but similar
I checked the C clips and micro-switches and found all mine to be okay.
Replaced all my wires inside the drivers door
Replaced my CDL module
Replaced driver's door solenoid / locking motor

Don't think that this is an earthing problem, as I have shorted out the relevant pins in the door connectors to simulate lock, unlock and dead-lock, and found that everything worked in the same manner.

So when you find your solution, then you'll probably find mine, but yours seems like an alarm remote sensing / wiring problem, not just an CDL problem.
phalinmegob

Post by phalinmegob »

further to this,i squirted some wd40 into the lock barrel this morning as it was feeling a little clicky ! now i cannot lock the doors from the drivers side but only from the passenger side,the barrel will not turn to the left but if i lock from passenger side i can unlock from drivers side,so now i cannot turn the alarm on..gggrrrrr
think i need a new lock barrel,are they easy to fit,any recommendations on where to get one from along with my heater sswitch resistor thingy.
phalinmegob

Post by phalinmegob »

just had a thought, is it possible to use the lock barrel from the passenger door and swap them over,are they interchangable,will the alarm still be able to be set,as i dont understand how the alarm engages by using the key,why cant it be done from the passenger side ?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

It probably just needs a good cleanout, but yea you can swap them over from each side
phalinmegob

Post by phalinmegob »

this problem seems to of sorted itself out now,all working fine again..the wd40 must of worked its magic.