correct place to wire in sunroof live?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

Gaz

correct place to wire in sunroof live?

Post by Gaz »

As im doing the omega sunroof mod, i removed the old cavalier electric one and found someone had wired it to the interior light (not like ive not done it myself in the past) but as im going to be fitting illuminated visors i didnt want to run too much off the interior light loom

I need to run some wires down the pillar to get the omega sunroof working so i thought i may as well wire it in correctly so exactly where is the live point for the oe wiring for the cavalier electric sunroof.

Thanks.
vauxtillidie

Re: correct place to wire in sunroof live?

Post by vauxtillidie »

i imagine it would go to the fuse box on the models that were fitted with it, just find a live in there
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

You will find the conection on a big conector that joins the dash loom to the floor loom. Its behind the trim at the passanger foot well. Stick a fuse in the correct place in the fuse box and test till you find the conection. Then you just need to fit a spade conector to an end of some wire and push it in to the conection on the block. Ill look to see if I have a pic of it.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

is it the ignition live or the perm live your asking about Gaz?
If its the ignition live, then the usual sunroof place will do, if its the perm live needed for the memory, then you'll need to use the lives for the electric windows or run a tap from another perm live source.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

found this picture i guess this is the usual sunroof place in the passenger footwell.
But is this switched or permanent? i assume its permanent?
x6.jpg
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

My sunroof doesn't work withut the ignition on. That will be a thick switched live. The permanent live for the memory only needs to be a thin wire as this doesn't need much power
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

thats a switched live as Dan said Gaz. you can alter it at the fusebox end if you can isolate the correct live and make it permanent, or run a seperate perm. live up the drivers a post from the fuse box, which is what I'd probably do.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

I have fitted an electric sunroof motor with just the interior light wires before now and it worked fine, never had any problems.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I would have done it that way but ive just put in the wiring for the illuminated sunvisors and didnt want to run too much of what probably 10amp wires.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

I know ur doin it properly anyway but it wud work of the light wires, i mean how many times will you have both sunvisor lights on, interior light on, and opening the sunroof at the same time.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

doesn't really matter now, ive run the wires to the drivers footwell as im having it on total closure, may as well while i was there.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Job jobbed then :D :D
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Although the job is done, Just thought I'd say where I took my feeds from.

I looked at the VxON site or other, and it advises to move the fuse box wire for the original ignition live for the sunroof that feeds the big passenger side connector to the fuse point for permanent live for the Caravan supply .

On my car however, I don't have rear electric windows, so I used this fuse for permanent live.

I then took another feed from the original sunroof ignition live fuse point, up the driver's side a pillar to the motor for the ignition live and motor illumination.