help with lights

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

timmy

help with lights

Post by timmy »

driver side indicators staying on wen side lights or head lights are put on....all bulbs are working cav sri m reg
timmy

Re: help with lights

Post by timmy »

timmy wrote:driver side indicators staying on wen side lights or head lights are put on....all bulbs are working cav sri m reg
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Possibly a faulty indicator switch. Try peeling back the small rubber gaiter on the left of the steering column, and squirting a bit of WD-40 in there. If its not that, then could be a short circuit somewhere due to faulty wiring.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If it had been both sides, I would have said a faulty flasher relay.

However the hint is that the indicator comes on with the side / headlights.

This to me infers a dirty earth on the driver's side...clean up all your bulb holders and connectors and ensure they are all dry.

When done cleaning, coat all contacts and connectors with petroleum jelly (vaseline), to keep moisture and corrosion out.
timmy

Post by timmy »

thank u both 4 ur help
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Just a thought of common sense...

If cleaning and vaselining does cure the problem (which it should), then it is worth doing the passenger side as well.

Be just your luck to do the driver's side, and then find the passenger side playing up after a day or so. :wall

I would concentrate on the rear light clusters, as these share the same earth pins on the circuit panel and in the connectors.

The front lights are wired up on separate looms.