cigarette lighter socket problem

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

geoff.geoff

cigarette lighter socket problem

Post by geoff.geoff »

Hi, hope someone can help.

I currently own a 1.7td cavalier mk3 (1995 n-reg), but i've had this problem on every astra and cavalier i've ever owned.

If i buy any device that plugs into the lighter socket, the plug it comes with "jumps out" of the socket. In fact you can feel the socket pushing the plug out as you put it in. If you jiggle it around a bit it "kind of" stays in but any speed bumps and out it comes.

Are vauxhall lighter sockets non-standard ? is there any way i can adjust the socket so that things put into it STAY plugged in ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Gaz

Re: cigarette lighter socket problem

Post by Gaz »

its just the way they all are its a pretty universal fitment, ive not really had anything jump out on mine other than the electric tyre pump, my satnav ect is fine.

Might be worth getting another ashtray out of a scrap car, its less hassle than swapping the lighter socket.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: cigarette lighter socket problem

Post by Robsey »

Something that I have noticed with Vauxhalls, is that there are two sizes of socket.

A smaller one for charging,

and a larger one for use with the cigar lighter.

for example, my wife has the Vectra-C, but without the smoker's pack.
She has a charge socket with a flap / hinged lid on it.
A Vauxhall Cigar lighter (say from my Cavalier) does not fit in the charge socket. The cigar lighter itself is simply too big.

If you don't smoke, then try a charge socket instead...it is a better fit for charge leads...obviously. There are plenty in the scrappers.