Igntion Housing, Barrrel and ingintion switch

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

debrux

Igntion Housing, Barrrel and ingintion switch

Post by debrux »

I hope I am asking this in the correct section. I have a quired a Cavalier Mk3 1994 non tilt steering column. Unfortunately the previous owner, my nephew, has messed up the ignition. When I got the car all there was, was the ingnition switch hanging out of the column, with a little key "thing" used to start and switch off the car. Of course this system has not lasted and the ignition switch fell to pieces. I have bought a new key and barrel, an ingnition switch and an ignition housing to replace the current mess. I cannot figure out how the ignition switch connects to the ignition housing. It does not appear to fit at all. I have no diagram of how this looked before the damage, so am working blind. Has anyone got a clue where I should start? Or even point me in the direction of a cut away diagram of this section og the steering column. I have searched for hours without luck. Hope someone can help. Thanks Rick
TurboDan

Re: Igntion Housing, Barrrel and ingintion switch

Post by TurboDan »

I haven't got a diagram but i can try and describe it.

Basically you have the big plug that then plugs into the back of the "Black Cap" which is the black ignition switch which then pushes onto the back of the ignition barrel and is held on to that by 2 tiny silver screws. They are flat headed screws, thats all that holds it on. These break very easily though so they may not even be there.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Someone ask for diagrams and instructions...

Here you go, care of Dr Haynes
barrel text.JPG
barrel text.JPG (82.05 KiB) Viewed 712 times
ignitionbarrel.JPG
ignitionbarrel.JPG (22.85 KiB) Viewed 712 times
debrux

Post by debrux »

thanks guys, sorry to take so long to get back, I'll try to get some photos of the parts. I'm now trying to remove the steering cowling to get at the thing... I suppose the streering wheel has to come off too from what I've seen?

To explain the parts I'ver bought: 1. Barrel and keys, 2. Ignition Housing, 3. Ignition Switch. All for Cavalier Mk3 1994. I now have to get into the broken ignition switch, remove that, replace it with new one then somehow get the ignition housing to match up to the ignition switch, looking at them before assembly, the housing doed not seem to fit the shape of the new ignition switch, it's maybe me being over cautiuos. So I'm going to strip down the sterring column to get a proper look. (Of course I now have to figure taking off the cowling, got the 3 screws on the bottom section of the cowling out, but it refuses to free it's self. Well I'll take a look around here for the instructions and get back to you, thank you though for the help.
Rick
debrux

Post by debrux »

Once again thanks. I have managed to swap the broken ignition switch over. (1Million thanks for the cutaway diagram and instructions). However I still cannot see away of puting everything together and closing the steering column. Is there a photo or drawing of what the completed ignition assembly from keu barrel to ignition switch housed in the column. To give an idea of how to fix it in place? I'kk keep doing huge searches for this, and at least when held together with my hands the engine switches on and turns over yipee, so 50% completed and thank god the sun was shining too. Thanks gentlemen you are a real help and blessing to a poor computer engineer whose first car was a 1971 Vauxhall Victor 1.6!! loved that car!!
Rick
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

debrux wrote: I'll keep doing huge searches for this, and at least when held together with my hands the engine switches on and turns over yipee, so 50% completed
Do you have a haynes manual?
If not, let me know, I have it on pdf (about 8Mb file size). :)

PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send you details. ;)

Rob.

By the way, it sounds like someone has buggered the ignition switch / lock barrel retaining bracket!!. :wall
Otherwise, did you read point 6 above, which mentions two grub screws to retain the switch in the housing.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

According to Haynes, if the housing is not damaged,

Then you should be able to refit as follows.

Undo the battery.

You need to turn the ignition key to position 2

Then insert a 3mm diameter rod into the hole at the front of thehousing bracket - see picture

ignbarrel.JPG
ignbarrel.JPG (23.99 KiB) Viewed 693 times

Insert lock barrel and push it home.

Once seated, remove the rod

and turn key back to off position.

The barrel should now be retained within the housing.

Try the key as normal.
debrux

Post by debrux »

Thanks for the replies. To let you know the barrel and assembly are gone completely. I got the full story!! "The key broke in the ignition... so I got some guy to help me, when he was finished you had to start the car by turning the ignition switch with a screwdriver".

This guy went to university!! I've bought a new barrel and key and the ignition assembly and ignition switch, (All for 1994 mk3 without tilting column and with airbag), all fir nicely but the ignition switch does not seem to fit onto the end of the ignition barrel assembly. (I'm a computer engineer, so never force or use a hammer). The barrel assembly fits snug in the colum and one screw is left, only problem seems to be this ignition switch thing. it has a curved part which stops it fitting onto the barrel assembly. I've checked everywhere and can't see any missing part or linkage? So short of doing a bit of modification, with a knife, can't see how this is going to fit. Thanks gents your help is very much appreciated. Rick
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

there is 2 types of ignition housings.