help needed with my 17 td alternator

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

danny2003

help needed with my 17 td alternator

Post by danny2003 »

hello all i have been having trouble starting my car. im just not getting enouf power to crank my car over i have taken the battery off charged it and its fine for 2 weeks im getting a constant 14 to 17 volts on my incar voltmeeter but it just dosnt seem to charge battery properly i have had battert checked and its fine. im at a loss as my hayns isnt for the isusu engin. pleas shelp my car is looking verry sorry for its self and im missing driving her ( the wifes little 3 cilinder corsa just dosnt have the same thrill :p )
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: help needed with my 17 td alternator

Post by Robsey »

14 to 17 volts is too high - Is your volt-meter accurate?

With the battery at rest there should be somewhere between 12.5 and 13.5 volts.

With the engine running, you should have approx 13.5 to 14 volts.
13.8 volts springs to mind.

I have an intermittent fault with cranking, which is most likely down to a few potential issues.

1) Poor / dirty earth strap connection from engine block to -ve battery terminal.

3) Poor / dirty connection at either end of the big red cable that runs between the starter and the +12V battery terminal.

4) Sticky or dirty starter motor brushes.

Mine is heat related, and so most likely a dirty connection at the starter solenoid and motor.

If you are getting much above 13.8 volts, then you need to check the voltage stabilizer at the back of the instrument cluster...also ensure that the correct rated charge light is fitted in the instrument panel.

Very occasiionally it could be your ignition switch breaking down.

Have you checked and cleaned all earth points and also all the connections on your alternator.

First port of call - your starter motor connections...
danny2003

Post by danny2003 »

well i was using an in dash voltmeeter i tryed a second meeter that plugs in to my fuse box but im getting the same readings and i have been told that my lights are verry bright when i am at higher revs. im going to clean all my earth straps today or tomorow. i think im going to have to remove my alternator and have it checked. i have a fairly new battery on the car and all the conectors are clean and corosen free. im going to get a battery charger today. its fine for a while but it does seem to be an alternator falt / valtage regulator problem. thankyou for help if nothing works i will drop the car off to a auto sparky and have the electricks system looked at

thankyou for your help
planetc

Post by planetc »

Sounds like it's overcharging? It will kill the battery eventually if you keep running it that way.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Like I said - Voltage is too high.

So as suggested you should check

1) Voltage regulator on the back of the instrument cluster

2) The Battery light, as I believe the alternator uses the bulb in some way as a reference for charging / output voltage. I do stand to be corrected though.

3) You may need your alternator checking - or at least the components on it.

If you are unsure how to check and fix these items, then try tracking down your local auto electrician.

THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR
dashreg1.jpg
THE REAR OF A STANDARD INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.
dashreg3.jpg
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Do you get erractic speedo / tacho readings at times?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Envoy CDX wrote:Do you get erractic speedo / tacho readings at times?
When revving the engine, you should find that your needles travel to higher values than normal, at the same time that your dash lights etc should be a little brighter.
At idle, the needles should show slightly lower values, and the dash bulbs should reduce to relatively normal brightness.

To be honest, I would get this sorted sooner rather than later.
planetc

Post by planetc »

The regulator on the back of the instrement cluster won't affect the voltage from the alternator, it is there to stabilise instrement readings. The battery light is fed with 12v which is earthed back through the alternator to bring the light on when not charging. This voltage (IND) also feeds the windings and without it the alternator doesn't start charging, although once charging it will continue if it's taken away.
The regulator on the alternator will be the one that is suspect, if you measure voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running at around 1500rpm you should be seeing somewere between 13.5 and 14.5 volts. Lower than 13 will give you probs as will higher than 15. Also remember to check this with a load, turn on the headlights and heated rear screen as a weak alternator or poor connections will often look ok until loaded.
Overcharging at 17v is very bad, and should not be left. This will lead to other problems, in a worst case situation an exploded battery or even fire, get it sorted for your own safety.
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

Am having electrical problems too. It started a couple of weeks ago, when my central locking decided it only wanted to lock a couple of (randomly chosen) doors. I use it on the key, the remote has long gone. So, anyway, changed my mentality to the days of a Mrk1 Cav, when I had to lean across and push the button down on the doors and then lock the driver's door with the key. Could live with that. It was kind of retro. :roll:

But last week, I jumped in and the battery was flat. Charged it up, and it was fine. But flat again soon after. Changed the battery that I knew was fine....drove ok for a few days. Then noticed the ABS light and Airbag light were coming on and going off. Then the wipers were going slower than normal. Later that day the second battery died.

Wondering if something is shorting out, or draining the battery, I have been disconnecting the battery whenever I park up. So far so good, but at some point the batter y will need charging again. Think it's the alternator, but would all these other things be happening too? Or is it just coincidence. If it's the alternator, where's the best place to (read that as cheapest) get one. eBay has lots, but am afraid to get the wrong one!!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Firstly, check your earth contact points around the engine bay. Not sure where they are/how many on a td, but the first one is next to the battery obviously. Unbolt the earths, clean the rings with a wire brush, and bolt back up again. 13mm socket should be useful here. :thumb
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

Ok. Thanks. Will give that a go in the morning. :)
planetc

Post by planetc »

As stated, check earths, but also check charge rate under load, as it sounds like it could be intermittent, but potentially look for a current drain too if the battery is going flat when the car is not being used.
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

Earth is fine, and yes, did check the battery under load. Battery is ok,but it's not going above 10.3 volts when under load. If I do need a new alternator, which one do i look for?

Is it this one?

http://www.absolutely-starters-alternat ... xhall.html

At the moment I am disconnecting battery whenever I park up, and when the wipers get slow, swap it over for my other one, charge the low one up, and carry it as a spare.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

That will be the one :thumb If it's not going up to 14.5V, then I'd say the alternator is giving up. Unless you can get yours re-furbed, get a new one asap.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
planetc

Post by planetc »

Worth checking the belt tension too, they don't always squeal on these. you often just get low alternator output.
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Reading this reminds me- I have a strange going-on with mine- I think at some point a wire has been crossed as when you have a dead altornator (as I did a while back) the battery light don't come on, instead, you get a brake pad warning light appear!!!

But the thing it does is, when you rev it hard (very hard, like if it wasn't high spec I'd have blown it up by now) the "battery" light comes on, shift light style!! I wondered if there is a overcharge limiter as the alternator is turning too fast maybe?

Hope you get it sorted pal. Sounds like the altornator to me too. I saw a guide somewhere how to 'recondition' them. Is there a place near you that bench-test alternators? Maybe worth dropping it in to them, just make it clear that you already have a source for a new alternator, else they may say 'nah mate its buggered' just to get a sale out of you without any more effort than ordering one and charging you their profit margin!
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

Yes, Planet, have checked the tension on the belt. All ok. Thanks.

Thanks Maracus, I will have a look round.

If anyone knows where I can get the above linked alternator for a lot less than £120, would be grateful. Then I can really say I have a source. :)
soton

Post by soton »

You can try www.eurocarparts.com they do one for mine for around 89 quid

VauxhallGirl wrote:Yes, Planet, have checked the tension on the belt. All ok. Thanks.

If anyone knows where I can get the above linked alternator for a lot less than £120, would be grateful. Then I can really say I have a source. :)
Proud owner of a red 1992 Cavalier "Colorado"

Pics of my Cav
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

soton wrote:You can try http://www.eurocarparts.com they do one for mine for around 89 quid

VauxhallGirl wrote:Yes, Planet, have checked the tension on the belt. All ok. Thanks.

YIKES! It comes up with £150! I am guessing the RTX and the Lucas are exactly the same alternator, but just different makes? Would the Lucas be the better one?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

VauxhallGirl wrote:
soton wrote:You can try http://www.eurocarparts.com they do one for mine for around 89 quid

YIKES! It comes up with £150! I am guessing the RTX and the Lucas are exactly the same alternator, but just different makes? Would the Lucas be the better one?
Try local breakers, when I say local, I mean closest, or like I suggested, see if there are any companies that can re-furbish your unit. :thumb Euro are a rip off nowadays...
Previous:

Martin_TD

Post by Martin_TD »

Hi I dunno where you're from but I'll say incase you're near Glasgow - theres a place in Tollcross road that sells new for £80.

I had mine recently replaced and There was a few wires that were bare in the middle, maybe by friction, so they got taped up I think they were big red and black wires, can't remember though. :?
Cavalier 1.7TD CDX and Cavalier 1.7TD LS
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

Thank Martin, but am the opposite end of the country! :D Do they send things by post?
Martin_TD

Post by Martin_TD »

Not sure, I'll find out the name and number for you :p
Cavalier 1.7TD CDX and Cavalier 1.7TD LS
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

Hi, like Planet C says, make sure the belt is ok because it sits in a v groove and we used to have problems with them wearing prematurely.....
" LS was MORE!! "
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

someone else checked it too...seems it's ok.

would this be the right one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B154-Vauxhall ... ash=item41