vauxhall cavalier gsi mh3 1992 jreg digital speedo

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's ICE and electrical components (head units, wiring, retro-fit toys, upgrades etc.) here

Moderator: Robsey

hodgpodge

vauxhall cavalier gsi mh3 1992 jreg digital speedo

Post by hodgpodge »

hello everyone im new to the forum does anybody have or know were i can get some wiring information for wiring in a set of digital speedo clocks for a mk3 cavalier they are the mk3 clocks i have and also do you need a gm tech1 to programme them or can you do this with a gm tech2. all help is very much appreciated on matter.
thankyou
hodgpodge
Gaz

Re: vauxhall cavalier gsi mh3 1992 jreg digital speedo

Post by Gaz »

are they actual cavalier ones or mk2 astra custom ones?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

If these are genuine Vectra A clocks then they should be pretty much plug and play as they were designed for the car. These were a German option, to my knowledge not a cost option in the UK. As such, all readouts will be in km/h and not mph. You will need a Tech1 to set it up correctly to read our imperial measurements and also to calibrate it for use if it is going on a different engine from the one it was destined for. An ABS pulse converter might also be required. Iirc you may also need to set up the fuel level readout.

Tech2 is for later OBDII compliant vehicles btw.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Where are you based btw, a bit more info in your profile might be useful if you need help.
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

I have a brand new clock set I am going through at the moment, with a view to fitting to my diplomat.

iirc just an option on gsi's in europe etc etc.

lots of info about, do some searching -

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/ ... 984/page-2

parts from opeloem - you will need the memory module (part2) that clips in the back, if it hasnt got one. same as a senator/carlton digi one. this is the bit that gets tech1'd
http://opeloem.com/opel/vectra_a_1989_1 ... ments.html

fitting and wiring colours etc -
http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/ ... nd-mk3.44/ andy k is the mangod here.

there are some extra wires you need to run as u can see from the link above.

I have cut the back out of an old dash to use the plastic around the push in connectors and the circuit board flat connectors themselves, so I dont have to butcher the std car dash plugs and I can still add the extra wires it will need, so hopefully I can truly plug and play and return it to standard when I get the dog with it, so an adaptor loom as it were.

was going to do thread about it when i was done but the other cars have got in the way of progress.

yes they are made in england but destined for the europe market. 25066297 is the number.

the small cav connctor is the same and fits but needs the extra wires tapping into it,
then u need an astra gte whiteheader type connector to connect up the rest.

to do a reasonable job you need to be a bit decent with some wiring and a soldering iron. to do a bad job like some i have seen, just bodge it up with scotchlocks and only half of it usually works.

also check control if you have it plugs right in on the blue connector.

speedo input seems best done with a gte type transducer on the box, lose the speedo cable, 3 wires to power that, one of em into the rear plug on the dash for speed sig.
planetc

Post by planetc »

I'm pretty sure that there were quite a few of these fitted to early uk gsis. I know the senator had them, and the astra gte, but I'm sure I remember them in the cavalier too. It was a long time ago though so it might be my imagination.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

yeah,
earlier on in the astra gte they were made by a different company and the odometer was real dials like std ones with a stepper motor driving them manually from the speed signal. in the cav/senator 24v/carlton24v option they have 7 segment lcd odometer numbers that are stored on board in the electronics. they look much the same but with some small differences and of course in a housing to fit the dash properly. quite cool the main displays have high/low red lights too, as well as the rather vague lcd bars for temp/volts etc, and a digital speedo that can never keep up with the acceleration!
its the digi numbers in gallons or litres readout I am looking forward to.

did read somewhere on line that in europe they were just an option on a 4x4 gsi. they called em vectra a 2000/gt iirc.
no info on if uk ones ever had em. i guess if you were stationed OS in europe like my mate at work did where u could get a euro spec cav/astra/calibra, like he twice with a huge forces discount, but with RHD so u could bring it back to the uk and not get done for kerb crawling like...
cavgsi83

Post by cavgsi83 »

I've got an astra GTE digi dash in my mk2 nova and you can switch it between mph/km. I dont know if the cav ones are the same. I dont know if this is true but i heard someone bought one for their GSi, fitted it and it worked fine but the trip computer wouldnt work properly when it was fitted. :?:
cavgsi83

Post by cavgsi83 »

I've found this Vauxhall sales brochure from late 1988

It has the mk3 cav range in there including the SRi but as the GSi wasnt for sale at that point there is a section saying about it being released shortly and that it will have as standard LCD instrumentation. So it wasnt in your imagination planetc!

I think Vauxhall fitted these to the first GSi's but then realised they throw the trip computer out so then fitted standard instrumentation. I could live with an inaccurate trip computer in my GSi if i had an LCD dash :thumb .As far as i know it looked very similar to the one fitted to the senator CD model. Hope all this helps.

hodgpodge

Post by hodgpodge »

hello all the speedo clocks i have are the original mk3 digital ones with the plugs and speedo transducer oil pressure switch they are not astra ones
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

yes, not astra/carlton or senator ones, the real cav type like this -

http://img128.echo.cx/img128/3071/lcd23lq.jpg

http://media.snimka.bg/4959/016173862.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/ ... 0_0902.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ ... bra010.jpg

and as well as the program memory hidden on the board on the back, you will need all of this to make it work - http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9948/dash4oe7.jpg

these are like I have.

wiring info in my previous post.
lots of pin to pin wiring and some fresh wires to splice in. then you need tech 1 to program it for your engine/turns per mile. it's all mentioned in the link.
what problem are you having?
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Sounds like a fun project if you ask me.
Would love to see some pictures of the dash, I've only ever really seen eBay pictures - so if you can get alot of pictures of the front and rear of the cluster up close, that would be ace :)

Cheers.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
hodgpodge

Post by hodgpodge »

ive not had any problems yet ive not fitted them yet will be doing shortly were will the best place to get them set up when ive fitted them i know you need a tech 1 as described i would think i will be back on while im fitting them for info do they work ok once fitted correctly and programmend correctly and how many of us cav fans have these clocks outthere would be nice to know i will up load pics shortly of them fitted and the car its lovely 79.000 miles and full vauxhall history from new 1992 j and fully standard the way its stopping and ive just fitted full new genuine exhaust system.i used to have 2 of these cav gsi in mid 90s wished i never sold them this one lives in a vacum tent when not used on a nice day then gets cleaned before it goes back in there.
thankyou
alan :D
hodgpodge

Post by hodgpodge »

does anybody local to doncaster have a tech 1
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

sounds great, look forward to pics. im not near doncaster but have a tech1, not sure if you're ever in the anglia region but if so give me a shout.
hodgpodge

Post by hodgpodge »

thankyou humbucker for that much appreciated i have tech2 and tech3 but the tech2 software starts from 1998-2008 and the tech3 starts from 2008 to present day covering insignia astra and antara. i will send the pics when ive fitted the clocks and give her a bath and polish you will have to send some pics of yours to mate im going to start going to some shows with it soon when rain stops if it ever does so we all should meet up.
hodgpodge
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Click the links in my signature to see pics of some of my cars. Look forward to snaps of yours, get a thread up in the work in progress or showroom sections when you can.
hodgpodge

Post by hodgpodge »

hello all does anybody have a set of mk3 digital clocks wired into there cav gsi and working correctly in mph and the trip computer working ok side by side with the clocks ive wired mine in and they drove me mad i will be taking them out towmoz and smashing them with hammer what i carnt get my head round is why are the cavs in germany so very differant to uk cavs there the same bloody car but left hand drive and why would the clocks in uk be able to switch between mph and kmh but in germany you carnt do that is it because in vauxhalls eye brits are expected to go to germany alot but germans are not allowed to come to uk.any help is much appreciated because they will get the hammer job :wall
cav4x4

Post by cav4x4 »

This guy might be able to help- http://www.abs-zero.com/

Seems he can reprogram fuel computers for any combination of engine/ tyre size. He stopped doing it but now he's started again.
cavgsi83

Post by cavgsi83 »

Im going to give him a try, see if he can re-set my trip computer :D
boki_SRB

Post by boki_SRB »

Envoy CDX wrote:
Would love to see some pictures of the dash, I've only ever really seen eBay pictures - so if you can get alot of pictures of the front and rear of the cluster up close, that would be ace :)

Cheers.
I have some pics of digidash

Image Image Image Image Image Image

:cheers
Deegte

Post by Deegte »

These are amazing lookin I never even heard of them before. Were can they be bought. Or they extremely rare.
Vauxhall once driven forever smitten.
hodgpodge

Post by hodgpodge »

very rare mine are fitted and look really good just find nobody knows how to set them from kmh to mph i believe they carnt be done a tech1 is not as advanced as a tech2 or tech3 i own and work with these tools every day.i cannot acces with these machines as the vehicle is to old but never mind they still look good fitted i will believe the change from kmh to mph can be done when i see it with my own eyes till then i believe the german clocks are very different from the english one which were a expensive option back in 1992.
boki_SRB

Post by boki_SRB »

They are very rare, I never fitted my one, because I buyed just dash without wiring loom, and speedo transducer (with 8 impulses) :cry
My friend fitted one in calibra, I will try to find pic of his one in working condition.
hodgpodge

Post by hodgpodge »

digital speedo clocks all done and sorted in mph and now its switchable between trip button and ive had the fuel computer calibrated at same time.very happy