Using orbital polisher

The dark art of car cleaning... discuss!
cavalier1990

Using orbital polisher

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi all

I decided to invest in one of those orbital polisher/sander tools (pic below) with a couple of those polishing sponges. I also got cutting compound and finishing paste as well with a sponge to go with each.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=silve ... b-2w2MM%3A

Washed car, then polisher out, made a complete mess of the car because you are supposed to wet the sponge then apply the gloop, then polish at about 1800RPM. This seemed way way too fast so went over it lightly in a sweeping motion at about 600rpm. Even at that speed it seemed to spray little drops of wax over everything in range so had a huge clean up op of bumpers windows etc.

The other thing was the sponge would dry up really quick and start turning the wax to blobs. I did reckon I was probably not best to wax in the direct sun at hottest time of day so chucked it and decided to try the side of car not in sun. This turned out a good bit better, but again the mess was unbelievable. All windows doors boot roof had little wax spots all over it from overspray.

Has anyone got experience using these and can tell me how much was to apply, water etc. I think I may have had too much water tbh.

Also the cutting compound is for two pack and I'm now thinking emm cav is probably not two pack! Would I be right?

Cheers

Andrew
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Re: Using orbital polisher

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Is the polisher a dual action (DA)?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

My neighbour loaned my a Sealey polisher so I could cut back and polish my newly painted Minor.
Like you I couldn't believe the mess! Gave up in the end and did it all by hand.
Since the I have bought one of those 'orbital' type polishers but haven't had the courage to use it yet!

Alan
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

The key to polishing is using a dual action and keep the thing moving. I use chemicalguys products and do the following: put the pad on the machine, add four blobs of polish/cutting compound onto the pad, then dab the pad and machine over a small area - 2x3ft - of bodywork so the product is spread out (it'll look polka dotted), set machine to low speed and apply light pressure to machine as you move in an up and down pattern, criss crossing over what you have done until you have covered the area in a thin layer of the product. Stop machine and reset speed to a higher one and then work slightly quick over the area again. After 5 minutes stop and remove the hazy reside with a clean cloth or buffing pad.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

lowrider dave wrote:Is the polisher a dual action (DA)?
I don't see anything that says Dual Action. Only thing I can think of is it can be used as sander and a polisher.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

DA rotates on a cam, so it oscillates.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

lowrider dave wrote:DA rotates on a cam, so it oscillates.
Ok I know the thing you mean now, used to see them when working in trade.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I use the Autobrite Direct DA21 Dual Action 21mm polisher. Top stuff:

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index. ... irect.html
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Mmm yeah I probably did put on a bit too much that's why I had overspray of wax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A56acHlFQ8

Video mentions using a thumbnail of wax and a light spray of water!