The miracle of polish

The dark art of car cleaning... discuss!
James McGrath
Club Admin

The miracle of polish

Post by James McGrath »

I used some AutoGylm super resin polish and the efects are astonashiing.

Before:

After:

It's really restored the colour. Who needs a respray when you have polish! :D
Cavalier342

Re: The miracle of polish

Post by Cavalier342 »

Must admit that is a big difference. One thing I've noticed is that the paint tends to fade more towards the rear of the car, not sure why, but it is a noticeable difference. Especially noticeable in your Before picture.
Looking good, give the old plastic strips a good seeing to and she'll be looking spot on :thumb
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Cavalier342 wrote:Must admit that is a big difference. One thing I've noticed is that the paint tends to fade more towards the rear of the car, not sure why, but it is a noticeable difference. Especially noticeable in your Before picture.
Looking good, give the old plastic strips a good seeing to and she'll be looking spot on :thumb
Ah, that would be because the bonnet is actually not the original. When my Dad ran into a stag a few years ago the bonnet had to be replaced. When it was fitted the front wings were partly re-sprayed so the colour would blend in better.

Yeah I was going to get some AutoGlym bumper care and see if that helps.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I use Wilko's bumper restorer, does a wonderful job for a small price.
It's not the bonnet, I just find that the front of most older cars looks more shiny than the rear, I can't explain why, it just seems that way. Been that way with every car I've owned. Not least my manual Cavalier.
Andrei.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
planetc

Post by planetc »

I used to use Colour Magic, not sure if you can still buy it. Gave really good results. Haven't polished any of the cars for a couple of years though. :no
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
johnny_d

Post by johnny_d »

If your like me and love a clean shiny car but haven't got the time to spend, well...... my niece bought me Car Plan 'Demon Shine' for Christmas and what a difference it has made to the finish of the cavvy and the amount of time I spend on it, the spray liquid allows you to not worry about white marks on plastic trim and looks the dogs nuts when finished. Wash and Wax in less than 35mins now thats got to be good for a fast fix.

Has anyone else used this with the same results??
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

great results there james. you'll find red cars fade more than others as red is a colour that cannot reflect ultra violet light. not just cars, but any red ink / paint. pub banners advertising 'sky sports' or whatever are a prime candidate; the red bit of the sky logo is always a feint pink hahaha!
andy

Post by andy »

i always use the spray wax for the pound shop works a treat lol
Attachments
P1010028.JPG
blackv6

Post by blackv6 »

give it another polish and get a good quality wax (i use ag hd wax)on there and apply a wax coat every week for 4 weeks and it will look even better mate :thumb when i wash mine it takes me about 2hrs to wash n dry and about the same to wax it but does make a diffrence as you can see (same camera on the same settings)

how i got the car

and how it looks after a good build up of coats of wax

hope this helps
scott
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I have to say that does look incredible.

I've washed my car today, spent about 3 hours on it. I have now completely converted to Autoglym. I am using autoglym shampoo conditioner, super resin polish and bumper care regularly and the results are amazing.

Here are some recent photos:
DSC00496.JPG
DSC00498.JPG
DSC00500.JPG
marcia

Post by marcia »

What an amazing transformation,excellent finish on the paintwork,well worth the effort.
William
PRESENT CAR;1995(N) Vauxhall Cavalier GLS, 2.0 litre, 16 Valve Automatic in Smoke Grey.
Owned since August 2006
planetc

Post by planetc »

Looks good fella, will keep my eyes open in case I see you out on the road, you aren't that far from me.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

planetc wrote:Looks good fella, will keep my eyes open in case I see you out on the road, you aren't that far from me.

Yeah I've actually been going to Bexhill College for the last 3 years; you might have seen me already. Although I've finished college now so I won’t be going regularly to Bexhill anymore.

By the way I'd like to say the Cavalier had its mot today, unfortunately it failed on emissions but only had 3 advisories; rusty fuel lines, 2 front tyres and the fan belt. So not terrible. The emissions have now been fixed with a new lambda sensor and I've had 2 new Michelin tyres put on. fuel lines I'm not too worried about. I honestly thought that it would need some welding done, but it has managed to dodge having that done this year.
planetc

Post by planetc »

I live so close to the college that the floodlights at the back light up my house, lol. I've just come back from Robertsbridge, did a job in the car park at the top of station road.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

If you go down station road past the railway crossing the first turning on your left is Mill Rise, that’s where I live.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

auto glym are brilliant, my old flatmate used to work for them and he would bring loads of the stuff back for us both, yknow if a label had been placed on wonky or a bottle had been dinked along the way it would be considered 2nd grade and so couldn't go out for general sale, so they would sell it all off to staff for a fraction of it's RRP. great stuff!
nexus6

Post by nexus6 »

I've used Autoglym for years. First the car shampoo, then Super Resin Polish, then Extra Gloss Protection. A 3 step that always gives brilliant results. Am interested in the Maguir's stuff though, might give their NXT Tech Wax a spin as they reckon it does the same as polish and wax in one!
They call it the chav cav, I call it pure
SRi_stu

Post by SRi_stu »

I've always loved autoglym's stuff. I find maguirs really hard to polish with especially compared to autoglym.
I normally use simoniz max wax as it always sed to bring my red orions up really well, but after reading this i'm definetly goin to et a few coats of autoglym wax on the cavalier and the cortina :thumb
cavalierboy87

Post by cavalierboy87 »

hi sristu.my cars has the first 3 letters of our number plates the same lol.same colour....yours a 1.8 gls by any chance? cheers
VAUXHALL MANIA
mk4rhys

Post by mk4rhys »

AUTOGLYM is the best polish you can get as far as im concerned and very little effort to use, but as its a resin polish car sprayers hate it,
chris.h

Post by chris.h »

just goes to show what a bit of polish can do
CAV-BAZZA

Post by CAV-BAZZA »

I have a white CAV, what would you guys recommend for that to make it shiner, thanks
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Depending on how flat the colour is, polish, wax, and a good car shampoo at every clean.
Previous: