Eastern Region Sun 6th Oct Norfolk Coast Run Your Pics Here!

Invite fellow members and their Mk3 Cavaliers to forthcoming events. Place your event photos here!

Moderator: James McGrath

humbucker
Club Admin

Eastern Region Sun 6th Oct Norfolk Coast Run Your Pics Here!

Post by humbucker »

Well, the North Norfolk Coastal Run was finally upon us, Sunday 6th October 2013, and it was touch and go whether any of us were going to make it! Maracus was experiencing running issues with his Turbo, my own Turbo was suffering with impromptu coolant dumps and a knackered propshaft centre bearing, and Rage was experiencing difficulties with his Nova engine. James McGrath, however, was fired up and ready to undertake the best-part-of four hour journey to Norfolk in his recently acquired Diplomat. NickSRi and Paul Colorado were also raring to go, although Nick thought his police spec SRi would be late and that we might be waiting around for him at the meeting point of Snettisham Beach.

The nights leading up to the meet confirmed that Maracus' Turbo was out of action, but that he would attend in his freshly polished Mk5 Astra estate. It has a Griffin badge and a turbocharger so what the hell, a more than adequate substitution! I managed to get the propshaft off of my Turbo so was able to run it in front-wheel drive mode (which is better than not at all) and the car has mercifully retained all of its coolant. I threw a bucket of cold water over the car to get rid of the dust that had settled on it this week (thanks to the local farmer ploughing up his spuds) and awaited James' arrival. He was due to be at mine at 830am.

830am arrives, no James. Suddenly, a text! James has overslept and is only just leaving the house! Kudos to him for making the journey up at all, let alone when he is running four hours behind schedule. We tell him to meet us along the coast road as we won't be too far away whenever he turns up.

Nick then messages to announce that contrary to his earlier concerns, he is already at the meet point! And then Paul Colorado messages to say that he is en-route but has suffered caliper failure and has had to pull over at the side of the road! Things aren't looking good, so he heads back to base. Meanwhile, Marcus, Mrs Marcus and I head to Snettisham to meet the eager beaver himself, Nick SRi.

The route took in Snettisham Beach, then Hunstanton for ice cream, a trip along the coast road to Wells-Next-The-Sea for fish and chips by the quay, then the Muckleburgh Military Collection near Cromer (the UK's largest privately owned military vehicle collection), then on to the National Trust nature reserve and beach at Gramborough Hill.

On with some pics!

At Snettisham Beach. Humbucker's Turbo:

Maracus brought a Cavalier along to compensate for his absent Turbo!

NickSRi's plod squad SRi. By the time we had arrived, he had already been reported to the local police for impersonating a police officer. This would happen frequently as the day wore on.

And in case he wanted to do something to justify their concerns...

Coolios:

James text to say he had made remarkably good time and would be with us near midday, so we left Snettisham and went to get an ice cream at Sunny Hunny. We parked up at the side of the road where a number of interested parties came over to talk to Nick about his SRi. The local law enforcement agencies cruised by a couple of times and then watched us from afar, not quite sure what to make of a 20 year old West Yorkshire police car rolling up in their neck of the woods!

En-route to the ice cream emporium we encountered the world's worst flea market. Unless you're a Frank Bruno fan and your name happens to be Giovanni.

Cassettes for those with OE tape players in their Cavs. Nice.

There was a motorcycle owners club meet on the seafront:

Somehow, James had managed to pass Hunstanton altogether and was now further along the coastline, nearer to our next destination of Wells. We hotfooted it back to the cars - obligatory 99 with flake in hand - and arranged to head in his direction. He said he'd head towards us and we'd meet in the middle. During this conversation, I could hear someone shouting at James in the background. It was an elderly resident of wherever he had parked up who was harassing him over his parking abilities. "I have half a mind to report you to the police!" he moaned. No need, NickSRi is en route.

So we head off to Wells Next The Sea in search of James. Twisty-coast-road-tastic:

We arrive at Wells, no James and we haven't seen him en route. He is now in Hunstanton. Chasing each others tails, we park up at the quay, try and find some change for the meter and go in search of fish and chips. James heads back down to Wells.

Parked up like a boss. Or something.

Maracus manages to find the one machine in the arcade that always pays out:

The chips were divine, and hiding under there is a nice big piece of freshly caught haddock:

Meanwhile, some concerned cotton tops report Nick to the police. Again.

The officer in question was more concerned with Nick arriving "on his patch" than the fact that he might be impersonating a police officer. Incredible. Yes, West Yorkshire police have decided to patrol the mean streets of a retirement haven in Norfolk in a 20 year old Vauxhall Cavalier.

Look, James has arrived! Hoorah! (Humbucker's Turbo L, James McGrath's Dippy R). Satin Red ftw:

Time is getting on, so instead of idly walking around the gorgeous streets of Wells, or visiting its marvellous seal inhabited shores, we decide to go look at some devastating machines of war. Marcus bids us farewell, while NickSRi, James and I head on to the Muckleburgh Collection. But not before more pictures of the Three Amigos!

After arousing the suspicion of the museum staff (who are, of course, ready to call the police), we wander over to see what the collection has to offer:

"Think how many forum members we could take out with this lot!"

Can you guess what this is?

Yes, a horse's anus! The perfect weapon when one finds themselves in the theatre of war!

James was in his element:

A little bit of Audi history here:

There was loads more there that I didn't take pics of, quite a collection of military uniforms, local history and a mind boggling display of models detailing 'the history of the British Navy'. NickSRi needed to head home afterwards, so James and I (now the only punters left at the museum) took a few more snaps of our motors. With a tank, of course!

From there we went to the beach at Gramborough Hill and then grabbed a cuppa at Cookie's Crab Shop in Salthouse, famous for being described by TV chef Rick Stein as the best place in the UK to buy crab. He's not wrong. Mrs Humbucker was quite disappointed that I didn't bring one back!

Some walkers at the beach came over to check out our Cavaliers, one guy being very excited as he was a Vauxhall nut himself. The proprietor of Cookies was sufficiently impressed by James' Dippy to ask him lots of Cavalier related questions, although that didn't equate to free tea!

A Tech1 session on James' car followed, and he pointed out that I'd lost a headlamp wiper somewhere along the way. Drat! Another item to add to the list.

The sun was setting and James had a four hour journey home, so we said our farewells and parted company. Our satnavs sent us in different directions, but after I was bombing about the country lanes and narrow roads I reached a T-junction and James was the very next car to pass by in front of me! I tailed him for a few miles until satnav sent me down the A148.

A great day, a lot of fun and some great company. Would have liked to have wandered around Wells as it's such a lovely place, but timings and the fact that we had so much to do wouldn't allow for such merriment. Better luck next time!

Cheers to all for making the effort to join us, even if you didn't make it to the meet point! Look forward to the next one.
Maracus

Re: Eastern Region Sun 6th Oct Norfolk Coast Run Your Pics H

Post by Maracus »

My picture taking was terrible. I only took two and only one came out ok, then the thought of pulling my phone out to take more didnt cross my mind... Not even to twitter a photo of my fish 'n' chips :lol:
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
NickSRi

Post by NickSRi »

First few pics... Didn't take too many..

Guess the captions? Lol
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
NickSRi

Post by NickSRi »

A Few more....

A great day!! Lovely sunshine too :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

"Just the 3 of us"..... :lol:

Looks interesting, especially the military hardware.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

I'll be there next year
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cavalier342 wrote:"Just the 3 of us"..... :lol:
Not quite - roll call was as planned but we were missing Mr Colorado due to a brake caliper failure en-route. Maracus was in attendance (in his Astra) so there were only three Cavs - a Turbo, a Diplomat and a plod squad SRi - but this meet was always about quality not quantity hahaha!

Was a cracking day, super weather for it too. I took a stack of pics so will upload them in the morning. Off to watch Wheeler Dealers coo over some old Ford chod now.
planetc

Post by planetc »

NickSRi wrote:First few pics... Didn't take too many..

Guess the captions? Lol
Amazing how diverse the hair styles are amongst the members, lol
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Great get together everyone!

Thanks for organising it Dan.

I'll put my pictures up tomorrow.

planetc wrote: Amazing how diverse the hair styles are amongst the members, lol

You should see a picture of me from a couple of years ago. My hair was down past my shoulders between 2006 and 2011.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mine ain't too far behind that.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
NickSRi

Post by NickSRi »

:)
Attachments
image2.JPG
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ted Nugent and Carl Pilkington :lol:
Previous:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Hahaha love the captions on your pic Nick! Original post updated with some of my photos.
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

...I am a winner at those £10 fruit machines! Lol!

Bless the ol' dears they probably won't trust a copper again now knowing that there's all these impersonators about hahahaha
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Great photos, pity about the CD failing but to be fair it has done a lot in a little time since i had it and had been lucky up till then. Managed to get it home eventually
Rage

Post by Rage »

i managed to get my novavan working saturday so i could have come if i had had the money looks like i missed a good day
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Rage wrote:i managed to get my novavan working saturday so i could have come if i had had the money looks like i missed a good day
So what you should have said was:

I couldn't come to the meet because I had Novan.
Previous:

NickSRi

Post by NickSRi »

That's a really good write up of the Day Dan :)

Just read thought it... Translated perfectly!!

For the record I was followed home by the police right up to Wisbech.. Convinced I was going to be pulled over, But just making sure I was off their area.. At least we gave all the 'cotton tops' something to do for the day lol
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Nice write up with some cracking photos - I love the way people go mental over Nick's car as if he's impersonating a copper - serious, do these people have nothing else to do...oh hang on, there cotton tops (nice phrase BTW) so of course they haven't! :wall

You were lucky with the weather, it was very nice on Sunday as I found out whilst wandering around the Severn Valley with the camera. :thumb
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Great write up Dan.

I'm having problems with my internet at home. I'm using the University computers at the moment.

I'm supposed to be getting a new router today so hopefully things will be back to normal in a few hours and I can upload my photos.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cool, look forward to seeing them :)
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Still no internet :(

Engineer coming on Thursday...
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

lowrider dave wrote:I love the way people go mental over Nick's car as if he's impersonating a copper - serious, do these people have nothing else to do...oh hang on, there cotton tops (nice phrase BTW) so of course they haven't!
That's because their stuck in a time warp
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Finally back online! Turned out to be a software problem on BTs end.

Anyway, here they are.

On the way I was overtaken by this at about 90MPH. Nice 2.0 GLS, not anyone on here is it?

Outside the Museum:

Tanks, Tanks, Tanks, Tanks. :D

A French AMX-13 90 light tank:

A 1960s Chieftain on the right and my personal favourite, a MK5 Centurion. :D

Early Russian T-55, these are still in service in the Russian army today can you believe:

The tank that won WW2 on the eastern front, the T-34:

Inside one of the small WW2 Self-propelled anti-aircraft guns:

Basking in the sunset:

Following Dan on our way to Cookie's Crab Shop:

NickSRi

Post by NickSRi »

:thumb Nice Pic's James...

Over taken at 90mph by a 2.0 GLS with stuff in the back, and a half roped down hatch ?! Must of been a sight !!