VauxFest - 31st Aug & 1st Sept 2019

Invite fellow members and their Mk3 Cavaliers to forthcoming events. Place your event photos here!

Moderator: James McGrath

Robsey
Club Admin

Re: VauxFest - 31st Aug & 1st Sept 2019

Post by Robsey »

If James posts up the last picture of the day, it should show the owner's of the four Cavaliers in the picture below.

The goofy dog and I were stood by my LSi.

James and Lizzie took that many photos, it could take them a while to sort through them all. :lol:

And to finish off my input..
One of the few pictures of my Mk2 in the old family fleet
1987 Cav Mk2 saloon 13S base
1994 Cav mk3 hatch C18NZ LSi
2005 Vectra-C hatch Z19DTH Energy.

(All 7 of the other cars in the photo apart from the mk3 and Vectra have been crushed / scrapped). :shock:
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Sorry guys, better late than never!
Here are my photos of the weekend:

Once again this year, Lizzie and I decided to camp over Saturday and Sunday night. We had planned to bring the Diplomat as that hasn't been to a show since the last vauxhall day at the Beaulieu motor museum in 2013!
Unfortunately, it's decided to spring a water leak so it's temporarily retired while I get it fixed, so we took the V6 instead.
We set of early Saturday morning and managed to arrive at the Billing aquadrome just before midday and had the tent up in no time. We're pros now you see :lol:

Once the tent was pitched it was time for a look around.
The food choice was again very good this year with a good variety of nutriment available!

The trade stands were also very good:

My haul of parts wasn't quite as fruitful as the VBOA national rally but I did manage to find a genuine GM bonnet release cable and a rear seat belt buckle with both clips intact!

This year they wre celebrating the 60th anniversary for the Cresta estate, 40th anniversary of the Astra and 30th anniversary of the Calibra. I must admit, the guys running the display excelled themselves, they were much more artistically displayed than the MK3 Cavs were last year.

Cresta estates:

Calibras and Astras:

There was an excellent turnout of cars, much more than last year:

It probably wasn't until at leat 3pm that I finally gave the car a wipe down and added it to the show:

Mmmm, shiny!

There were models of all shapes and ages with and excellent turnout of MK3 Cavaliers. Here are some of my favourites:

It wasn't long before my Dad turned up with my Mum:

This was my Mum's first outing to one of these events and I'm pleased to say she enjoyed herself.

Though this was a hideous looking beast, I did quite like the idea that anyone could come up and draw on it!

More cars:

Not sure if this was in the show or not, it may have just been visiting Billing by chance:

On the show ground i saw lots of familiar faces. It's always nice to see other peoples pride and joy and have a chat.
First I saw Steve, then was later joined by Ian, Alan, Mandi and Rob. Great to see everyone, probably the biggest meet up of forum members in a couple of years!

Alan's forever immaculate engine bay:

Unfortunately I relented to family pressure and had to depart for a customary game of crazy gulf:

When I returned the field was practically empty :( but I was pleased to see Rob and Ian still there.
So what else was there to do but get in a line and take some photos. CavMk3OC forever!

My 1995 CDX V6:

Rob's 1994 LS:

Mike's (my Dad) 1993 CD:

Ian's 1990 GSi:

Form right to left; Ian, Carole & Mike (my parents), Rob and myself:

It was a great weekend, Vauxfest has matured nicely in it's second year, I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Nice pictures as usual James.
Very forgiving on my car paintwork.
(Especially around the rear off-side wheel arch and wing, which have still not been cut and polished since the respray and looks quite uneven in the flesh).

On the rear end line-up, I can't help noticing how high the boot is on yours and Lizzie's V6.

I have to admit, that I didn't make any effort to buy any parts. We didn't even buy any food.
We took a packed lunch, flask of hot water and an array of drinks and snacks.
We spent most of our time with the CavMk3OC group cars.

With only a ten minute walk to look at the other cars. There weren't that many left by 3pm Sunday afternoon. :(
And by 5 pm, it was desolate. :roll:

Next year, I will put the Robsey plates on.
Then there is no escaping for me ;)

Mandi reported that she fancied staying on-site for a whole week next year.
In a static or pod of course.
We are a good few years older than James and Lizzie, so not as nimble as we used to be.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Robsey wrote:Nice pictures as usual James.
Very forgiving on my car paintwork.
(Especially around the rear off-side wheel arch and wing, which have still not been cut and polished since the respray and looks quite uneven in the flesh).

On the rear end line-up, I can't help noticing how high the boot is on yours and Lizzie's V6.

I have to admit, that I didn't make any effort to buy any parts. We didn't even buy any food.
We took a packed lunch, flask of hot water and an array of drinks and snacks.
We spent most of our time with the CavMk3OC group cars.

With only a ten minute walk to look at the other cars. There weren't that many left by 3pm Sunday afternoon. :(
And by 5 pm, it was desolate. :roll:

Next year, I will put the Robsey plates on.
Then there is no escaping for me ;)

Mandi reported that she fancied staying on-site for a whole week next year.
In a static or pod of course.
We are a good few years older than James and Lizzie, so not as nimble as we used to be.

The rear suspension has always been like that on the V6. I do wonder if the wrong springs were put on at some point.

It's well worth staying during these events, there is normally so much to see that you can't do it all in one day.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Steven715 wrote:It was lovely to once again meet up with James and Lizzy again although I think I may have boad them to tears.
Robsey wrote:It was myself and my missus that pestered Team McGrath in 2018.

That's nonsense guys. It was a pleasure to catch up with you both. I'm only sorry I didn't spend more time chatting.

What you were saying about getting known good values from an oscilloscope Steven, was fascinating.
Think it could be really useful.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

I did the same as Robsey spent most of my time there chatting then notice the trade stands had started to pack up, but I did manage to get a Bosal exhaust middle box for the princely sum of £30 for my 1.8 Motorsport though.
Steven715

Post by Steven715 »

James McGrath wrote:
Steven715 wrote:It was lovely to once again meet up with James and Lizzy again although I think I may have boad them to tears.
Robsey wrote:It was myself and my missus that pestered Team McGrath in 2018.

That's nonsense guys. It was a pleasure to catch up with you both. I'm only sorry I didn't spend more time chatting.

What you were saying about getting known good values from an oscilloscope Steven, was fascinating.
Think it could be really useful.
Lol, I will see what I can do.

Steve
1995 (N) Cavalier 2.0 16V CDX
X20XVE Engine
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The oscilloscope can be very useful for checking all sorts of variables.

Sensors like crank angle, cam shaft position can be checked for there pulse waveform shape and size.

Same with the ABS sensors, to see if you get a good square wave shape with 28 full waves per wheel rotation.

I have seen wave forms for the injector pulses and much more.

Most beyond my level of knowledge.

There is a lad on my OpCom forum, who checks ignition pulses and all sorts for diagnosing motorcycle running faults.
But then he is a clever clogs - lol.

Here is an oscilloscope identifying a lack of compression on No2 cylinder of a Zafira.
Measuring the current consumption of the starter during cranking.
Care of OpComusers.org/forum.

I look forward to seeing some of your posts Steven.
Steven715

Post by Steven715 »

Robsey wrote:The oscilloscope can be very useful for checking all sorts of variables.

Sensors like crank angle, cam shaft position can be checked for there pulse waveform shape and size.

Same with the ABS sensors, to see if you get a good square wave shape with 28 full waves per wheel rotation.

I have seen wave forms for the injector pulses and much more.

Most beyond my level of knowledge.

There is a lad on my OpCom forum, who checks ignition pulses and all sorts for diagnosing motorcycle running faults.
But then he is a clever clogs - lol.

Here is an oscilloscope identifying a lack of compression on No2 cylinder of a Zafira.
Measuring the current consumption of the starter during cranking.
[ Image ]
Care of OpComusers.org/forum.

I look forward to seeing some of your posts Steven.
Thanks Robsey,
I wouldn’t expect to much as I’m learning as I go along, but have a very good interest in this type of thing but also to help guys like myself keep these cars on the road and help with saving people money.

Thanks for the info on the ABS sensor that’s useful and worth keeping in mind. I will create a new post when I have something to post.
1995 (N) Cavalier 2.0 16V CDX
X20XVE Engine
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

James McGrath wrote:
Not sure if this was in the show or not, it may have just been visiting Billing by chance:
I am pretty sure it was in the show.
I remember seeing it last year too.

Parked in the camping area in 2018.

Strange how it was parked in virtually the same place as last year, away from all the other cars.

I recall seeing the peeled lacquer last year and thinking what a shame.
It would look great with a shiny coat of paint.
I suppose the owner was keeping it authentic and original - warts and all.

Although I do detect a change in wheels. :D