humbucker's 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: humbucker's satin red cavalier turbo WIP

Post by humbucker »

James McGrath wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again; It looks absolutely gorgeous. Probably the best one left in my opinion.

What is the colour code by the way?
Wow that's quite the compliment, many thanks! The colour is Satin Red, 72L btw.

546,549/72L,72U: Baccara Red Mica, M****ille Red Mica, Satin Red (91-)
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

humbucker wrote:Wow that's quite the compliment, many thanks! The colour is Satin Red, 72L btw.

I thought it was, it's the same colour as my Dad's CD! :cheers Though you wouldn't believe it.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

James McGrath wrote:
humbucker wrote:Wow that's quite the compliment, many thanks! The colour is Satin Red, 72L btw.

I thought it was, it's the same colour as my Dad's CD! :cheers Though you wouldn't believe it.
Heheh get some paint renovator, elbow grease and the entire AutoGlym/Meguiars range and you'll be well on your way to a similar shine! ;)
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

still hate you for having 2 red turbos dan :lol: :cool
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

gsi pie wrote:still hate you for having 2 red turbos dan :lol: :cool
Well who knows what Santa might be bringing you this year eh?! :santa :lol:
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Had a bit of time to tinker over the last day or two so set about updating my factory Calibra VDO oil/volt gauges with some Graham Goode replacements. I’ve never been a huge fan of the white faced dials, they don’t really match anything else inside the cabin, whereas the GGR items look like they were made for the job - a perfect match for the stock tacho!

The GGR gauges were nabbed from a donor Sierra Sapphire Cosworth (complete with genuine carbon fibre surround and all wiring/hoses/bulbs). I’d already acquired a mint set of the white VDO dials, but the newer Cav Turbo that I bought had an identical set clipped into the dash. I pulled them out and used those as the base for the update, retaining the minters in case it all went tits up. I also had duplicate GGR boost and oil pressure gauges tucked away so I pulled all the bits together and started mixing and matching!

As with most ‘white dials’, the VDO gauges weren’t wired into the Cav, although to be honest it’s virtually impossible to work out how they were supposed to be functional anyway; it looks as though the previous owner handed a soldering iron to Stevie Wonder and asked him to have a bash at hooking them up! The OE four pin connector was nowhere to be seen:

There was absolutely no way of separating them with ease as the enthusiastic use of the soldering iron had fused the white mount to the back of the circuit board! I managed to remove all the old solder and threw away the manky wiring, although I was resigned to the idea of chopping up the OE mount anyway as the GGR gauges were too big for it:

Then it was a constant effort of trial and error to strip the mount back until it was flexible enough to accommodate the larger gauges while still capable of holding them into the fascia:

In the end it was split into two pieces. The battery voltage unit was the one causing the problems:

Got there in the end though, looks pretty OE I reckon. Just got to drill a hole or two in the back of the dash and get them wired in!

Ah, and a pic of the brand new genuine centre caps!

gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

love the gauges dan :)

i want to try something like that in my 4x4 so i got black dials all round :)

liking the new center caps :)
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Cavalier-C20LET

Post by Cavalier-C20LET »

Nice work mate.

Black gauges look much better .

Nee centre caps. Wow. Whats the plans for the old ones? Im needing a set.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Excellent :) looks good :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

gsi pie wrote:love the gauges dan :) i want to try something like that in my 4x4 so i got black dials all round :) liking the new center caps :)
Cheers Simon. It would be easier to use the OE gauges and have black faces custom made for the dials; that's what Dave955 has done. You can then just plug the OE connector in and you're away. Mine are a totally different type of gauge so unfortunately that won't work!
Cavalier-C20LET wrote:Nice work mate. Black gauges look much better . Nee centre caps. Wow. Whats the plans for the old ones? Im needing a set.
Thanks Iain. Yeah I'm liking the new gauges a lot more than the white ones. I have a matching boost gauge to replace the one that's in there at the moment so will post pics of that shortly. The old centre caps are vinyl stickers as I removed the badges from them as they looked crap on my refurbished wheels (see earlier post) so they're probably no good to you.
Envoy CDX wrote:Excellent :) looks good :)
Cheers Gary! 8-)
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

yes i remeber seing daves pic on FB months back and thought it was a great idea

tbh the look miles better being black
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

They look sweet. Much better than the crappy white ones.

That boost gauge looks familiar too ;)
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

What do they look like lit or are you going to LED them ?
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

Looking good m8.
Man of my own heart soldering irons are good for loadsa bits around the cav.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Once driven forever smitten , The car of the future today.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

humbucker wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:Excellent :) looks good :)
Cheers Gary! 8-)
No worries, I recommend you get a dremel like tool ;) you'll never look back.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

gsi pie wrote:yes i remeber seing daves pic on FB months back and thought it was a great idea . tbh the look miles better being black
Agreed
TurboDan wrote:They look sweet. Much better than the crappy white ones. That boost gauge looks familiar too ;)
Heheh yeah I have two GGR boost gauges with different values of measurement, one has bar and the other psi iirc. Nice dash mount too, pics to follow
iangsi wrote:What do they look like lit or are you going to LED them ?
Dunno yet tbh, need to mod the dash to get them in before anything more
cavaliersri130 wrote:Looking good m8. Man of my own heart soldering irons are good for loadsa bits around the cav
Cheers! 8-)
Envoy CDX wrote:No worries, I recommend you get a dremel like tool ;) you'll never look back.
Aye you're probably right!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Great work Dan, they look excellent. I really must get round to fitting mine to the V6...just got to figure out where the oil sender is!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

How do those gauges look when powered up Dan? :)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

So is one of the turbos modified and the other factory standard? :scratch

Goregous colour
C30XE
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

As far as I can see the only exterior difference is that Turbo number 1 has headlamp wipers and Turbo number 2 doesn't... or is it the other way around...
gidged500

Post by gidged500 »

Absolutely love this car keep up the good work !
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

lowrider dave wrote:Great work Dan, they look excellent. I really must get round to fitting mine to the V6...just got to figure out where the oil sender is!
Behind the drivers side front wheel, down by the oil pump :)
Envoy CDX wrote:How do those gauges look when powered up Dan? :)
I'll let you know when I've installed them hehe!
HAIRIBO wrote:So is one of the turbos modified and the other factory standard? :scratch Goregous colour
That's the intention
James McGrath wrote:As far as I can see the only exterior difference is that Turbo number 1 has headlamp wipers and Turbo number 2 doesn't... or is it the other way around...
Reg plates are different, Turbo #1 has a blue graphic, Turbo #2 has a black one, otherwise there's not a lot in it unless you're up close!
gidged500 wrote:Absolutely love this car keep up the good work !
Thanks pal, I appreciate your feedback ;)
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

As the car came out of hibernation a few weeks back, and because I haven’t updated the thread for a little while, I thought I’d upload some recent pics for those that are interested.

There was a day or two during the winter period that I needed to work on the Saab, so ol’ faithful was plonked on the driveway, complete with those black fanblades. I’d actually grown rather fond of them by the time this pic was taken. Stealth FTW!

I toyed with the idea of selling the car a short while later, primarily as a way of releasing funds that could be spent on Turbo #2 (a project that is yet to get off the ground). I’ll admit that I was struggling with the idea of letting the car go, but an interested party made a favourable offer and said that he’d had his eye on the car since spotting it at last year’s Performance Vauxhall Show. He seemed genuine enough, and we struck a deal that we were both happy with.

Turbo #1 (left) squaring up to Turbo #2 (right):

In agreement with the buyer, I did my best to return the car to ‘standard’ in advance of its departure. This meant that I sourced OE hoses to replace the Roose Motorsport items that were living in the engine bay, ditched the Renault Laguna splitter, replaced the Magnecors with brand new standard leads, and the wind deflectors and headlight protectors were ousted. A thorough service, filter renewal, coolant dump and oil flush followed, and there was very little left to suggest that the car was anything other than a stock Cavalier Turbo! Any other missing components were lifted from Turbo #2, who by now was living happily in the new lockup that I had built for it.

New pipework starting to appear:

Astra G battery bag to replace the worn item. It fits perfectly:

Renewal of caravan dehumifier. This adds 20bhp:

I didn’t have a chance to clean the ol’ girl before her prospective new owner arrived, and she’d collected a fair amount of dust while she’d been snoozing in the garage. Furthermore, there was a lot of AG Super Resin Polish residue where I’d hurriedly wiped the car down before storing her away for the winter. Unfortunately, the interested party couldn’t see past the muck, and his image of a gleaming Satin Red PVS superstar was shattered when he was faced with a car in need of a hose down. I wheeled the car back into the garage a few minutes after his arrival. We didn’t even get to the inevitable tyre kicking part of the proceedings. Pfft.

In fairness, the pic above doesn’t really show how filthy she was, but hey ho, all’s well that ends well. The whole sorry experience got me thinking what an idiot I’d been for even considering parting with the car, and Mrs Humbucker is very pleased to see it stay put. Besides, it turned out to be the catalyst that got me out and working on the Cav again, and it has encouraged me to leave the car ‘standard’ while I go to town on Turbo #2. I’d been treating it with kid gloves, not wanting to stray too far from an OE setup, but not really going in any particular direction with a sense of conviction. Now I’m thinking that this will be the car I can hop in and enjoy driving while the modified one ends up being in a permanent state of repair! Besides, OE Cavalier Turbos seem to be worth more than fettled ones if the trade ads are anything to go by hehe! Onwards and upwards!

Stock hoses. Not too shabby. That header tank is annoying me though, and I forgot to put the black plastic cover for the dizzy back on. Next time Gadget, next time...

Next stop was the MOT station, where the car passed with flying colours. Through the glass window in the waiting area I could see the following conversation take place:

“What’s that thing?”
*wanders around to rear of car, but no badges are available to assist*
“Ermm... I think it’s a Cavalier Turbo?!”
“Is it really? They’re four wheel drive you know, and very rare!”

Everyone in the workshop downed tools to crowd around the engine bay and throw in a few of the obligatory “they’re much better than the Vectras that followed” remarks!

With a fresh ticket and six months road tax in the bag, it was time to get ready for PVS 2013; the Cavalier was due to be displayed on the Total Vauxhall stand alongside a stack of recent feature cars. Needless to say, an epic detailing session was in order, and I thought I’d take the opportunity to add a clay bar kit to my arsenal of cleaning products. I wish I’d used one of these sooner, what a difference it made! Dave955 would be proud!

A thorough wash, dry, clay bar session, cutting compound, polish, wax, glass clean, plastics and trim restore were planned, along with a freshen up of the powdercoated wheels which were about to be returned to active duty.

OoooOOOooofffff!

I gave both sides of each wheel a thorough polish. There’s a slight difference between these wheels and the old rims that the car has been using as slippers throughout the winter. Can’t quite put my finger on it though hehe:

Brand new genuine centre caps. Massive amounts of win:

The wheels really sparkle, and thoughts of keeping a black one on each corner have all but vanished. Removal of the rims provided a good opportunity to check over the chassis legs (and any other bits and bobs that are hidden from view). Glad to see that everything is still as solid as a rock under there. No sign of deterioration:

I was two thirds of the way through cleaning the car when disaster struck! Wandering in from the garage to make a cuppa on the afternoon of the day before PVS, I noted water coming through the kitchen ceiling and forming a pool on the floor before me (the bathroom is directly above the kitchen). Mrs Humbucker was in the shower, and the water seemed to be coming through the ceiling rather than down the plughole! Obviously this became our top priority, and the rest of the day was spent clearing up the mess, determining what the problem was and then trying to fix it. Suffice to say, the car didn’t get finished and wasn’t on display at PVS. Bah.

The leak was isolated and repaired, but I was forced to concede that there was no way that I’d get the car sorted in time for the show. Instead, Mrs Humbucker and I arrived at the ‘Pod later that morning in the Saab. I have to say, we had a great time mooching around, checking out everyone’s motors and catching up with faces old and new. It seemed to me to be a much better show than last year and there were certainly many more cars on display. Kudos to anyone who had their pride and joy gleaming in the afternoon sunshine.

Away from the club stands, the car park usually throws up a few good motors. It was difficult to ignore Troy’s superb BTCC rep on the way in...

...and it’s a brave man who arrives at the Performance Vauxhall Show in one of these!

Anyway, unprepared to accept defeat, the polishing cloths picked up where they’d left off and we went out for a spirited drive/some pics a short while later. For those of you that are still with me at this point, then these pics are dedicated to you! Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread!

It didn’t take long for the front end to look like this hehe:

John Owens

Post by John Owens »

She's a stunner Hum ! Good write up too :)
planetc

Post by planetc »

Good reading.... you should do it professionally ;-)
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"