GSI 2000 4X4- iT BEGINS

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
FossilFish

GSI 2000 4X4- iT BEGINS

Post by FossilFish »

Hello all, here is my dads Gsi, he has had it since 1994 and it has been off road since 2005. Me and my brother have had a few Gsi's but this is the lone survivor left. It has 122k on clock new engine at 94k it needs loads of work but today it run on its own steam for 5mins before fuel starvation.

Plans are to keep it stock (even the ride height)the list is endless but my dad loves it and will get it going soon.

We will do the inner/outer arches,sills, Diff, bushes and full respray and load other things. the interior is mint just gear gaiter and roof lining (which we have). We have so many parts and 3 c20xe's, a few gear boxes and a set of slab wheels in the garden, so will have plenty of supplies.

Silver boot lid from my old car as it originally had no spoiler.

We have got all parts put in the spare room we still have the Philips tape deck to go in.

Also have a 89K speedo that is not flaked- sun damaged (that's why my dad covered the rear window as it was turning the rear parcel shelf purple.

Under here is a engine and gear box off my 89k 2wd Gsi.

Need to get the '4x4' red badge same as the Vauxhall Frontera.

The head lining was sagging and removed but easy fix

Someone tried to steal but it was stood 2 years already, Would be impressed if they did.

This is the engine with a hole in the side!

Here is engine No3 with 89k (documented) with gearbox and all bits 'n bobs, looks rather well.

Here is the door cards off and changed all the locks as we had a issue with the ignition barrel, also changed the plastic moist protector and speaker for original and greased lock all locks and windows while open, otherwise doors all good. Car is now on one key with the keyhole light finder on it.

Door cards have been changed, the older G reg 2wd door cards are better quality and fit better, the vinyl had split in places and the rear door had a chunk bitten out so needed changing.Forgot to take a pic of the changed one. The rear seat bolster has been squashed, we have a spare one thanks to my hoarder dad.

My dad still had the original boot lid in the shed and it had no rust on it, anyone who knows Cavilers knows that boot lid rusts bad, I recon the fitting holes for the spoiler lets in water as the silver boot lid once spoiler and plastic number plate cover was removed it had plenty of rust holes and was bubbling bad.
holes ready for spolier! yes it needs to be aligned.

If you noticed from the original pic, my brother put this in the rear parcel shelf, no Asian dad can be without it!

gsi pie

Re: GSI 2000 4X4- iT BEGINS

Post by gsi pie »

looking good dude :)

nice to see another gsi 4x4 owner :)
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Looks OK shouldn't take to much effort to get back on the road :thumb
FossilFish

Post by FossilFish »

Thanks guys, I miss my old Gsi and have plenty of good memories, so can't wait to drive this about, lucky we have most odds bits as parts and trim are getting thin on the ground. I have a few rides that need TLC and this is added to the list.
John Owens

Post by John Owens »

Good to see another one being saved ! Good luck with it guys :-)