Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Cavalier342

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by Cavalier342 »

Fk me mate, that is some story!!
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Put that on hold, the guy now thinks it had a Cat and Lambda so is a C20NE......Geeez

Even so only 60,000 miles on it
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Pic of Engine code.....Came from Cav 2.0GL on a "G" plate with 60,000 miles on it.......

Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Well a catalytic converter was an optional extra so it is possible that it's a C20NE.

Though that engine code looks like 20NE to me.

Here is how to tell the difference by the way:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13726
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Chap selling it reckons it had a lambda and cat on the car he scrapped that this came out of, pic aint great due to surface rust on the engine code...

Guess I may just buy it and see where I go from there, if it is a 20NE does anyone know if the ECU will need changing due to no Lambda / Cat??
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Maybe, the cat converter doesn't make a difference but the lambda sensor might....
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Maybe, the cat converter doesn't make a difference but the lambda sensor might....
Precisely mate....
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Mikebmth wrote:does anyone know if the ECU will need changing due to no Lambda / Cat??
Not sure. Probably best to change the ECU anyway.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Just fit the engine then plug everything in. If you want to get rid of the cat there is a link that can be added as far as I know to dismiss the lambda sensor. Personally I'd opt for the lambda as this will help run 14.7afr.
Without its guesswork for the ecu and will cost you more in the pocket fuel wise
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cheers everyone, holding off on the engine at the moment as unsure it is what the seller tells me it is and wonder to be honest what its internals will be like as been sat a couple of months now..

Still plenty to be getting on with along with the exceptionally annoying heat shield which needs re fixing, spoke to a neighbor who used to run a body shop and he said GunGum will sort it so may just do that yet to stop the bloody thing bouncing off the exhaust!!

Now have next week off of work so 9 days off in total as try not to work weekends which means a good few days of Cav repairs, mods and little jobs like spraying my 16" Tsw Imolas before Beaulieu!!
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Actually got some work done....

So started work on Monday afternoon on the bloody lock mechanism on the os/r door, what a pig that is!! Took me and a neighbour 5 hours due to the unit deadlocking the door so first it would not close then it decided it would close but not lock..

All turned out to be an adjustment needed on the actuator of all of half a millimeter......Was not impressed

If you ever need to do this job it is a nightmare as you have to remove the window channel and all sorts from the inside of the door to get clearance to do anything, its definitely not a job I want to do again anytime soon and big thanks to my neighbor who used to run a bodyshop for giving me a hand with sorting it out, 5 hours plus another hour this morning to re-assemble is not my idea of fun..

Know one of you going to give me the "oh wtf its a piece of piss job"....Balls is it!! Its a pig an a half to do!!

Found a brilliant glue for the door card fixings a wood solvent that dries harder than wood...Epic...Works a treat!!

Also finally got around to retro fitting my Omega Variable stalk, was so easy to do just cutting one wire and attaching the speed control wires into its loom...Works a treat bar the 26 degrees and no rain...lol...

Still a fair bit to do including the electric sunroof, front door speaker issue and refurb and tyres on my 16" Imolas but plan on getting most of the jobs done this week.

Also just booked the Cav in for a roof wrap in gloss black to give a glass look a bit like the newer Peugeots but this will cover up the flaky paint and laquer on the roof and generally tidy the car up a bit..
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Sounds good Mike and look forward to seeing the progress on this.

It may all seem bad but think of it the same as me.....................Your car is 100 times more fun and easier to work on than most of this modern rubbish plus the best bit is when it does go wrong you can either fix it yourself or pay a garage knowing that the same job on something modern would cost 5 times as much!
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Couldn't agree more with that....
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

vauxhallnutter wrote:Sounds good Mike and look forward to seeing the progress on this.

It may all seem bad but think of it the same as me.....................Your car is 100 times more fun and easier to work on than most of this modern rubbish plus the best bit is when it does go wrong you can either fix it yourself or pay a garage knowing that the same job on something modern would cost 5 times as much!
Have to agree, I looked deeply into costs of running the Lexus and to be honest the tax alone was enough to scare me off..

Now I have tidied the Cav up a bit it is spurring me to get on with the other jobs it needs so been busy...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

So been busy again.....

Unfortunately didnt get much more done as had some personal issues to deal with but hey nothing like some extra stress when you're on holiday huh..

New plugs fitted after the old ones were a bit crusty so new NGK "R" twin electrode plugs, ran a bit wonky for a minute but turned out to be a lead not properly connected up... :roll:

Old plugs:

Didn't photo new plugs as lets be honest we all know what they look like... :lol:

Quick engine pic:

Also had a crawl underneath which is tricky, its a lot lower than it looks believe me...lol...

Found the front pipe to Cat converter only has one bolt holding it together, could be why it sounds like its blowing and the exhaust centre box heat shield is still on but one bolt has completely rusted away so need to have a look at that soon.

Fortunately rust is still not a big issue on this car and the underside is not too bad but could do with a rub down in places and treatment / undercoat sealant being painted on.

Was hoping to get my alloys sorted this week to but its now looking unlikely so that will be a job for a weekend soon as well as trying to fit the strut brace and sort the stereo system out properly.

Oh near forgot, did buy new fitted matts from Helfrauds which look spanking gorgeous but sorry no pics as interior a bit messy so will have a clean up first...
vauxhallnutter

Post by vauxhallnutter »

Mikebmth wrote:
vauxhallnutter wrote:Sounds good Mike and look forward to seeing the progress on this.

Have to agree, I looked deeply into costs of running the Lexus and to be honest the tax alone was enough to scare me off..

Now I have tidied the Cav up a bit it is spurring me to get on with the other jobs it needs so been busy...
Thats the spirit Mike, I really need to start getting mine ready for the VBOA Rally but sadly time is not on my side as I have a box trailer to finish which will need to go with me this year.
Mark
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club - the friendly club
http://www.vodc.co.uk
VBOA Members
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Want a brand new front pipe? Only going in the scrap otherwise... Lol
Think I got the gasket from mani to front pipe too...
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Be alright in the morning!

Good progress mate, it's ridiculous that we haven't caught up since the last meet but that's life for you.... Maybe we'll actually get it over the pit at some point, sort a few bits out. :thumb
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Hayward691 wrote:Want a brand new front pipe? Only going in the scrap otherwise... Lol
Think I got the gasket from mani to front pipe too...
Possibly Chris....Possibly.....

Been after a 4branch but having trouble finding one at a reasonable price if im honest..

Still need to install leccy sunroof kit if you have an evening spare mate as not the faintest how to put the bracing in etc...
Cavalier342 wrote:Be alright in the morning!

Good progress mate, it's ridiculous that we haven't caught up since the last meet but that's life for you.... Maybe we'll actually get it over the pit at some point, sort a few bits out. :thumb
Yeah cheers mate! :thumb

Has been a while but thats work for you, cracking on with the bits I need to do and looking forward to the Beaulieu event again this year as didn't make PVS in the end..

As for the pit, would be handy dude...Got to sort underside, probably only an hour or two one evening if you feel upto it....
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Yes mate, no probs :) got some front coilies to fit on the passat at some point too... Lol
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

More updates and pics.......

Just received my Wind Deflectors for the Cav, not genuine Vauxhall ones but instead Team Heko ones from ebay.. Weren't to bad either at about £35 I think they were, if you are looking for a set type Vectra A in instead of Vauxhall Cavalier...

Also just took some shots of the Laquer damage to the roof of the car as dropped off this morning to a local mod shop run by a couple of lads who are mad on their cars to wrap the roof for me in vinyl saving any further damage being done by the weather etc.

I shall of course post some pics of the finished car roof when I collect it in a few hours time but they are going to do a gloss black wrap on it so it should have a glassy looking finish to it and they want to photo it for their website too so happy days and £120 spent wisely to bring the Cav back to a decent state of repair.

Have also treated her as I have just ordered Green silicone hoses for the engine bay, a K&N panel filter and a couple of other bits to tart her up a bit and help with removing a little more grunt from the engine even at 125000 miles..

Pics to follow later of the wrap....
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Just wondering out loud here, but it may have been wiser to install electric sunroof before having roof wrapped in case of damage when fitting sunroof to freshly wrapped roof...I'm sure it's not a problem if care is taken.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

lowrider dave wrote:Just wondering out loud here, but it may have been wiser to install electric sunroof before having roof wrapped in case of damage when fitting sunroof to freshly wrapped roof...I'm sure it's not a problem if care is taken.
Pretty sure sunroof doesn't have to come out to install electric conversion, its just changing over from manual winder to an electric motor inside and the wiring being put into place..
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye I was gonna say.... You don't need the glass out to change the mechanism..... :lol: :lol:

Good stuff mate, looking forward to seeing it up together soon. :thumb
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Got her back with the wrap applied so pics as promised, not a 100% excellent job but would of required a full roof rub down and a lot more money and time to be spent to get it 100% but im happy with it and just need to get used to the slightly different look...

What do you reckon??

Smoked Heko Wind Deflectors yet to be fitted too...