James' 2.0 8v Diplomat

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: Mike and James' 2.0 8v Diplomat

Post by humbucker »

Remove the old badges with Autobrite Direct 'Just the Tonic' glue and tar remover and a plastic spreader. The green solution will soften the adhesive to the point that you can slide the badges off without fear of damaging your paintwork.

The new badges should have sufficient sticking power applied to their rear faces (that is, of course, unless you are using second hand parts?).
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

humbucker wrote:Remove the old badges with Autobrite Direct 'Just the Tonic' glue and tar remover and a plastic spreader. The green solution will soften the adhesive to the point that you can slide the badges off without fear of damaging your paintwork.

The new badges should have sufficient sticking power applied to their rear faces (that is, of course, unless you are using second hand parts?).

Cool, I'll give that a try.

Yeah the 'Vauxhall' and 'Cavalier' badges are second hand, the others are new though.
Super89

Post by Super89 »

James McGrath wrote:Thanks for the positive comments guys.

I've got a long way to go on this car and it tends to be the last one of the 4 to receive attention.

On a side note. I've been able to track down the correct '2.0' and 'i' badges from eBay so I will be changing them over soon.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to remove the old ones and what to stick the new ones back on with?
Just use a heat gun, They come off real easy then. For sticking them back on buy some 3m double sided tape.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Thanks for the tip.
The new badges arrived today and I've got some Autobrite coming in the post tomorrow.
I'm going to try some double sided foam tape that I've got. Seems to be the same sort of stuff that's on there already.

I've decided to get a new set of number plates too. Didn't realise how cheap it was to get them made up otherwise I would have done it before now.
I really wanted to get a set with "www.vauxhallcavalier.com" written on them but I've looked it up and apparently any footers that aren't the original manufacturer/seller are illegal.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I stuck 'VAUXHALL ASTRA' on the tailgate of my Mk2 Estate using a black double sided foam tape that came from our local Autocare shop, about 12mm wide and its all still there 3 years later!

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

James McGrath wrote: I really wanted to get a set with "www.vauxhallcavalier.com" written on them but I've looked it up and apparently any footers that aren't the original manufacturer/seller are illegal.
Are you sure that isn't the rules for 2001 (Y reg) onward vehicles, which if I remember correctly must bear the manufacturer's name and or postcode on the bottom centre and the BSAU tag in the bottom right.

Also the left hand end should only carry the symbol for the EU with the letters GB or have no marking at all...
And so on...

Before 2001, the rules are nowhere near as stringent.
Although possibly frowned upon, you should not get too much attention from the police for having
The web address across the bottom.

If it helps -
We had our 2005 Vectra number plates stolen approx 5 years ago.
I bought two "show plate" number plates from the internet.
On the bottom of our reg plate is says Madge's Monster.
(I call the missus Madge from time to time even though it ain't her proper name - Mandy).

The car has cleared several MOT's like this, and we have not been stopped or cautioned once by the police in all that time.

What helps is that the EU flag and registration type face is all per the regulations, and so does not draw undue attention.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I agree with Robsey. I hate the crappy postcode and company name of whoever made the plate. Why do I want to advertise some mail order firm in no man's land on the rear end of my car?! I have pressed plates on the Rolls, Saab and Cavalier, all blank without post codes (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141292825494), and I had the website URL (and a Vauxhall logo) included on the reg plate of the Cavalier Turbo that I recently sold. All MOTs passed, never a problem.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

My brother is an MOT inspector and had a self adhesive number plate made up and stuck on the bonnet.
He was adiment it met all the required rules for an mot to be produced.
correct size
correct font
correct reflective background
and secured as not to fall of
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Oh well. I've ordered them now. Maybe I'll do it next time.
Should be better than he grubby old ones on there at the moment at least.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I spent this evening getting my new badges on.

The "2.0" and "I" badges I managed to find brand new on eBay. Alas the others were second hand but they were a lot better than the ones that were already on there.

Here's what the old ones were looking like:

I tried a couple of different methods of removing the old ones. Both worked quite well.

In the absences of a hot air gun I used a hair dryer.
How do you like your badges? Permed or blow-dried?

The Autobrite worked well too:

I didn't have a plastic spreader, so I used a B&Q card instead! Though I suppose any major bank, credit or debit card is acceptable. :D

De-badged:

I used some double sided foam tape to stick the second hand badges on. Worked a treat and is about the same thickness as the original backing on the new badges.

Marvellous:

New number plates and number plate lamp next...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Nice. The heat gun / hair dryer idea is not advisable if the host vehicle has a boot lid lip spoiler. It is surprising how affected those trim panels can be by concentrated heat.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Good job James.
When I took my badges off I used fishing line which is very strong, thin and plastic. Gently pulling, I used a sawing motion to cut through the sticky backed foam to remove the badges. Then soaked the remnants of foam in white spirit before using a plastic spreader to remove the bulk of the old foam before tidying up with white spirit soaked rag.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
planetc

Post by planetc »

humbucker wrote:[ Image ]
For hands that do dishes as soft as your face..... :D
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Put a couple of finishing touches on the rear yesterday.

New plates and new genuine Vauxhall number plate lamp:

Ohh, shiny:

I opted for the stick on method rather than drilling holes in them. When they get old they always discolour around the drill hole anyway.
24 hours later and they are still healed on firmly so fingers crossed they will be ok.

The very old:

The new:

And there you have it. All really easy and cheep stuff to do and makes the world of difference:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Looks great, James. As you say, quick and easy mods that make a massive difference. Talking of which, a Satin Red boot panel would also improve the rear end of your motor (imho). It might be time to consider colour-coding the black plastic surrounding the new rear reg plate?
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Looking good! Where did you get those plates made in the end please?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

lowrider dave wrote:Looking good! Where did you get those plates made in the end please?

Got them from http://www.demonplates.com/ :thumb
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Looking great :)
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Thanks Troy. :thumb

Anyone ever heard of either of these guys?

http://www.wheelworksuk.co.uk/index.php

http://www.spitandpolish.co.uk/home.html

They look like the two best alloy reverb companies in my area, wondered if any of the other Sothern chaps had used them?
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Not used either of those guys but I had the wife's 17 inch MINI wheels refurbed. Badly corroded which would allow pressure leak, had to pump every day.
He uses a caustic strip followed by a media blast any damaged/corroded areas built back by localised powder coating. Flatted then a final poder coat, she wanted gloss black.
I delivered them they removed tyres (runflats) did the work replaced tyres with new valves and balance - all for £50/ wheel.
Absolutely excellent job (and I'm fussy)
J P Polishing on Canvey Island
01268 680245

Alan
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I know it's not exactly your neck of the woods, but Wheel Genie in Huntingdon is the place to go. I've seen loads of the company's output, and they've just been doing some wheel refurb work for the Nissan R35 GT-R of WTCC champion, Rob Huff. They recently repaired and restored the Irmscher Sport Stars for my MV6 project, and the finish is amazing. It's better than new. I'll be sending Mrs Humbucker's Saab Super Aero alloys for the same treatment, and the firm are also going to refurb and powdercoat my Porsche brake calipers in the coming weeks. Reasonably priced, and a first class service. Wheel Genie's office has a display of popular finishes for you to choose from too:

http://www.wheelgenie.co.uk/
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

James McGrath wrote:
lowrider dave wrote:Looking good! Where did you get those plates made in the end please?

Got them from http://www.demonplates.com/ :thumb
Thanks James
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Oh no, not again!

This is now the second of my Cavs to reach this unholy number. Right around Halloween too!

On the upside I've finally managed to source a second chrome insert for the front bumpers.
Slightly different packaging but the same part:

As you can see, the old ones are in a very poor state:

Does anyone have any tips as to how to replace these? I don't feel like taking the whole bumper off like I did with the rear one.
Super89

Post by Super89 »

I just took the black plastic ends off and slid them in. Took just as long as taking the bumper off in the end lol