Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Cavalier342

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by Cavalier342 »

Bored at work? But you have such a busy schedule! lol. Good to hear that dude, nice to see you're still about, I'd keep the C20NE if I were you, why change engines when you can keep it original, and maybe remove the 2.5 tonne sub box from the trunk, that'll lighten her up some lol.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Bored at work? But you have such a busy schedule! lol. Good to hear that dude, nice to see you're still about, I'd keep the C20NE if I were you, why change engines when you can keep it original, and maybe remove the 2.5 tonne sub box from the trunk, that'll lighten her up some lol.
So quiet since the Xmas / January sales its mental!!

Funny you say about the box, which is bloody heavy.....May well reduce to one sub in the boot this year as having issues and just had to have the amp rebuilt after pushing it hard for a while

Do fancy a quicker lump in her though as a cam and manifold upgrade would cost me around £300 which I can get another lump for that money and probably install it too
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye but can you really justify all the work and expense for a few more horsepower? Plus you never really know what you get when you get another block.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Good to hear it passed the MOT. Keep on motoring son!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

lowrider dave wrote:Good to hear it passed the MOT. Keep on motoring son!
Yes Dad.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

She is playing up again though and 2/3 of a tank of petrol and only done 185 miles!! No obvious leaks either as both me and my friendly Mot tester / mechanic went over the fuel lines when it was up on the ramps..

Something definitely not right as last month struggled to get 300 mile out of it around town on a full tank!! Know it will be more thirsty around town but that is around 70 miles less than I have been getting.

Next step is going to have to be a service, it had new plugs etc last year but with oil leaks from the rocker gasket I wonder if they are mucky, still pulls fairly well but just seems to be using too much petrol the last month or so and I have been driving carefully as its wet and horrible out and Cavs + Wet roads = not much fun.

Surprisingly the fuelling problem has been since I had the exhaust fixed, it was holding on with 1 bolt between the Cat and middle pipe which has been sorted and since the fuel usage has gone up steeply.

Any ideas gratefully received, hoping not to change the lambda sensor as they are expensive and I am skint at the moment.
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I wonder if the distributor cap contacts have disintegrated mate? The one common thing to go on both my 8valvers were cheap after-market distributor caps. The contacts inside which get spark from the rotor arm wear out after a while until there's nothing left, I've replaced at least 2 on both my old 8 valvers, I remember doing yours once, but that must have been donkey's years ago. Worth checking, as it makes a massive difference on these engines.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:I wonder if the distributor cap contacts have disintegrated mate? The one common thing to go on both my 8valvers were cheap after-market distributor caps. The contacts inside which get spark from the rotor arm wear out after a while until there's nothing left, I've replaced at least 2 on both my old 8 valvers, I remember doing yours once, but that must have been donkey's years ago. Worth checking, as it makes a massive difference on these engines.
Ok cool, will check that also..

Just seems odd that the fuel usage has become a Lot more apparent since the exhaust was fixed properly!

Know Pete (DiplomaXe) mentioned once before about changing the lambda when the fueling went mental before, also the ICV hasn't been cleaned in probably a year so needs a decent going over really which I will get around to when its not either bloody freezing or pouring with rain!!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

My initial thoughts were lambda too.

Archer stinks of petrol but underside it looks dry! The fuel lines seem to be in a casing of some sort that leads to the injector rail.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Still no pics as i'm lazy.....lol.....

May have found the source of the fuelling issue, on Tuesday I popped over to see Andrei (cavalier342) to fit a new fuel filter than we couldn't get undone for trying but while Andrei was crawling around and I was moaning about my ankle he mentioned checking the dizzy cap.

Turns out the dizzy cap had eaten its contacts for one and secondly 2 of 4 cable ends were just blue dust and little else! made a not so nice mess but it now had a new dizzy cap and a couple of temporary leads from Andreis stash of parts, can't say whether there will be a huge difference yet and car hasn't moved much since as I fooked the tendon in my ankle and am on ordered rest by the hospital :(

Will post when I know if there is any change and maybe just maybe get some pics sorted soon ish
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

That fuel filter bracket screw was an expletive expletive of an expletive.

Get better soon mate, I'm sure there will be plenty more jobs to be done on the old RiMJob mobile.
Previous:

Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Just removed that same screw off mine - it moved eventually, proper rusted on!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Still having fuel issues!!

In fact the last full tank did 270 miles and ate quarter of a tank just doing a local trip without my foot on the loud pedal!!

Working on experience and a quick look by a Vauxhall technician who was hanging around on his break and interested in the Cav he looked her over for FREE! and suggested the Temp Sensor was probably at fault, to be fair I had just been in and ordered one at Eden Vauxhall in Christchurch as they had none in stock.

Hoping this helps as he explained it is like an auto choke and if the ECU is getting the wrong readings from it then the car will over fuel massively which it definetly seems to be doing as I cannot for the life of me find any leaks or onions ;)

Temp sensor I just removed:

Looks pretty much had it I reckon! Anyway I have a full tank so 60L ish and we'll see how it goes, if this doesn't solve its addiction to fuel pumps then I suspect the next job will be the Lambda sensor which I am trying to avoid doing as I am a bit skint at the moment.

Report coming soon!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Mikebmth wrote:I cannot for the life of me find any leaks or onions
:D
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

That does look a bit crusty, was it definitely that one that the technician mentioned? What about the one on the back of the thermostat housing? The one in the photo is only for the gauge, I think the other one with the 2-pin plug actually talks to the ECU.
Previous:

planetc

Post by planetc »

Yes, Andrei is right
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:That does look a bit crusty, was it definitely that one that the technician mentioned? What about the one on the back of the thermostat housing? The one in the photo is only for the gauge, I think the other one with the 2-pin plug actually talks to the ECU.
Yep only found this out yesterday lunchtime and ordered the part from Vauxhall as again they did not have any stock so I have to go collect after work today in my yacht unless noah wants to give me a lift as they weather is biblical in Bournemouth this morning!!

Quite a few friends suggested Lambda and speaking to others it was suggested the AFM maybe knackered so going to be a process of changing everything bit by bit until we find the problem, actually waiting on a price for a lambda today at trade rate.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

AFM? Air Flow meter? If that is faulty, I'm sure it would throw up a code, at the very least clean it with special cleaner spray, I have a can here, they're cheap enough to buy and handy to keep, I'd do the temperature sender unit first and eliminate that.
Previous:

Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Lambda would definitely screw up the fuelling. AFM can cause the engine to drag or hesitates when idle or under load.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:AFM? Air Flow meter? If that is faulty, I'm sure it would throw up a code, at the very least clean it with special cleaner spray, I have a can here, they're cheap enough to buy and handy to keep, I'd do the temperature sender unit first and eliminate that.
Just picked it up but tooooo bloody cold and wet out to be bothered today, may try and do it while at work tomorrow morning as no gaffer in for 2 days now
lowrider dave wrote:Lambda would definitely screw up the fuelling. AFM can cause the engine to drag or hesitates when idle or under load.
Just got a price on the Lambda of £55 inc of postage, best I have had tbh..

Unsure on the AFM but its a fault finding mission really and doing the parts bit by bit..
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Despite everyone telling me that the previous temp sensor I fitted the single pin type by the thermostat was for the gauge only the car isn't stinking quite so much, yesterday it stank prior to changing the sensor and the main fuel smell was exiting the exhaust along with being a tad smokey on start up.

See what happens, costing me an arm and a leg but come a nice day and some proper wax and it'll all seem worth it again rather than the monsoon we're not enjoying today!!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Mikebmth wrote:See what happens, costing me an arm and a leg but come a nice day and some proper wax and it'll all seem worth it again rather than the monsoon we're not enjoying today!!
Yeah, it's this time of year, everybody gets a bit down I think.

As you say, come summer it will all seem worth it.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

James McGrath wrote:
Mikebmth wrote:See what happens, costing me an arm and a leg but come a nice day and some proper wax and it'll all seem worth it again rather than the monsoon we're not enjoying today!!
Yeah, it's this time of year, everybody gets a bit down I think.

As you say, come summer it will all seem worth it.
Definitely James, looking forward to the next meet to be honest and suspect the old girl probably needs the cobwebs blown out of her with a boot down run as been having to do mainly town driving and not been upto surrey much as my partner doesn't want me driving to far with current health problems i have.

Sucks as love a good motorway blat but that's really where the Cavs come into their element.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Still no further joy in getting the mpg back to normality so over the weekend I changed the CTS (coolant temp sensor) and took the car for a good run, unfortunately this doesn't seem to have helped and infact it has chewed from completely full to 3/4 tank in just 75 miles :cry: where as I am used to seeing 100 plus before 3/4 of a tank comes around.

Now going through the motions with this so yesterday I have ordered the new Bosch Lambda sensor from Just Lambda online and hope to receive it in the new few days.

Took some pics of sensor change etc but as I am being lazy at work i'll post them when I'm next on my laptop, had some nice views from my drive out but car is filthy so didn't bother taking any pics of it...lol...
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Which sensor did you replace?

Did you check to see if your plugs are fouled from over-fueling?
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Which sensor did you replace?

Did you check to see if your plugs are fouled from over-fueling?
Both gauge one and the CTS on the rear of the thermostat housing, cleaned AFM and filters checked also.

Not removing the plugs until I can get down to Chichester due to problems with it previously the plugs have been put in as best as possible by John, the fueling issues started when the exhaust was fixed about 2 months ago though so pointing to Cat or Lambda really but tried other options first.

Lambda now ordered however and awaiting delivery this week.