MY CAV 4x4

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: MY CAV 4x4

Post by humbucker »

Can you get Noble to take a photo of the inserts when installed? I'm keen to see how they fit before placing an order for the same parts.
dycie

Post by dycie »

yes mate ill get some pics of them fitted. Car received its new Cobra 3" exhaust system today and it looks amazing!

She doesn't do many miles to the gallon but she does loads of smiles to the mile.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Interesting routing of back box pipework (it travels below the rear arm as opposed to above it). The system as a whole looks fantastic... not that I had any doubts about the quality of Cobra kit!

This is a brilliant photo:

VectraGoVroom

Post by VectraGoVroom »

Wow, that's looking fine. Meanwhile I just had the mechanics at my school replace the middle muffler and tack on some bits from the old one onto a generic rear muffler. Still sounds good :D
Call them Cavs, but mine's a Veccy. <3
dycie

Post by dycie »

few more pics of the exhaust! cause there is never too many pics on this thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

also had all the engine mount poly inserts fitted to stiffen up any engine swing

prop shaft over haul next and get drive shaft refurbed as spewing some grease out, then its rear wheel bearings along with suspension and mapping session to see what changes have occured with new exhaust, if any.
She doesn't do many miles to the gallon but she does loads of smiles to the mile.
dycie

Post by dycie »

so decided to get yet more done whilst car was having the exhaust done, to the tune off...
new rear wheel bearings
new koni top adjustable dampers (front and rear)
new rear brake discs and pads (black diamond ultimax discs and fast road pads)
sent springs to be powdercoated back in black
new backing plates for the rear brake assembly and new shoes/springs whilst stripped down
alloys refurbed to remove stone chips

now time to get it all back together and back on the rollers!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Good work!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
dycie

Post by dycie »

so finally got the car lazer aligned on the Kmac kit and no more scrubbed tyres for me! will get it booked in for another mapping session to sort cold start and hopefully a bit more oomph with the new zorst!

pretty happy with the new brake discs too

[imghttp://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg489/daz79/IMG_6911_zpsaernfzlk.jpg~original[/img]
dycie

Post by dycie »

well wheels aligned and back to the norm glad to report and car went back on the rollers to sort the cold start problem and also have some mapping changes due to new exhaust diameter etc which we thought would have given a couple more extra bhp...........and it did not fail to do so!

much better camber :thumb

nice gains with no extra boost added (yet) and still not dropping off power yet

Link
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

The Cavalier Turbo that keeps getting better and better...
dycie

Post by dycie »

yeah im just scared that there must be a point that it cant get any better, or at least i cant afford to make it so lol im sure ill find a way for either.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Good God! Over 450bhp from a 2.0 that's crazy.
dycie

Post by dycie »

crazy as a box of frogs!!! cheers mate, she certainly puzzles folk when she boosts
dycie

Post by dycie »

PVS nearly upon us and i decide that the dash needs replaced! sourced a fresher dash than what was already in and removed the old one, then decided the wiring should be sorted while i was in this deep.....in hindsight a bad idea!

i wanted to reinstate the centre vents back in the dash and move the gauges to the drivers pillar, this was an easier job in my head than actually doing it. there was alot of old alarm units and wiring to remove along with problems like not having heater ducting as it was deleted to allow for the EPAS unit to fit. after a lot of head scratching ive sorted the ducting and heater vents back in the centre along with a 3 pod pillar post.

[imghttp://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg489/daz79/IMG_7168_zpsuo91avsp.jpg~original[/img]

now just getting ready to fit the dash back in and hook everything back up, nothing like working to the deadline! roll on PVS.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Nice work. :thumb

That wiring always looks like a total nightmare to me.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cavalier Turbos with nightmare wiring?! Surely not...!
dycie

Post by dycie »

Exactly lads, spiders web of stress but once done I have peace of mind......to a point haha
dycie

Post by dycie »

Getting there now.......this was the worst best decision ever to do the wiring behind the dash......

On a plus note i have managed to secure the steering column with locktight nuts now as it was starting to get a bit squirly! and after sourcing new vent ducts to reinstal the centre dash vents i found the EPAS will not let them go back on, problem solved by cooker ducting rated to 180 degrees! that should do the job :D the previous ducting decided to give way when hooning around silverstone and ended up in the footwell below the pedals! hairy moment. all in this should fix all that i wanted the dash to look like and then have the gauges on the drivers pillar.

times ticking....
dycie

Post by dycie »

so update time. car has been running great with a 2000 mile drive around the scottish coast on the north coast 500, worth a go if you havent done it, brilliant roads with stunning scenery. ive decided to get a pace intercooler made for the cav as the one thats on has done its purpose but with 50mm inlet and outlet whereas the hard pipe kit on the car being 70mm it has to go, sent it off to pace and available space behind bumper so they can try and get the most out of it. also had a trip up to newcastle to meet another cav owner (the transversely mounted rear wheel drive beast) to have some new welded powdercoated lower arms onto the cav as the old ones were in pretty bad order (bananas)

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

What's that? 1000bhp between you?! :p

And look! You're famous!

Link
dycie

Post by dycie »

well winters here again so must mean only one thing, car off the road to have ridiculous amounts of money spent on it to satisfy the lust for more power! work to be done as follows:

gearbox and transfer box away to competition transmissions for strip and assess in view of strengthening these components.
TD05 turbo unit back with Turbo Dynamics to see what magic can be done to increase the power output of the unit.
custom pace inter-cooler built with 70mm inlet and outlet to suit the 70mm hard pipe kit already fitted hopefully increasing flow.
pro alloy radiator to assist with cooling as standard gsi one does the job but with more power i thnk its time to ''go big''
wheels away to wheel genie for full refurbish and powder-coating.
reintroduction of the idle control valve as cold start still causing problems.
a few other bits to fiddle around with and then hopefully all well and good with transmission can up the boost to around 2 bar and really see what shes capable off.

new powdercoated poly bushed and welded wishbones as mine were like bananas!

something missing??

time to beef these up!

dycie

Post by dycie »

well sent the alloys away for a full refurb right back to their bare bum! straightened and powdercoated and they look fresh!

also sourced some new rear stoppers that will be fitted in the new year. look a bit rough but have never actually been on a car, full refurb then painted and good as new!

still awaiting word back from pace reference the custom intercooler plans......if any longer than another week then im going to give pro alloy the green light as they are already constructing an alloy radiator for me anyhow, so a back up plan is in place!
dycie

Post by dycie »

Well that's the turbo back from Turbo Dynamics to the tune of
20 G Billet compressor wheel,
360 degree uprated bearing kit
Ported compressor housing
7 degree cut back on turbine wheel vanes

The gears are now back from being shot peened and the rebuild of the box should be done within the n st fortnight. Just waiting on strengthening plate for transfer box to arrive and the rebuild can begin.
dycie

Post by dycie »

Lol why stop at 200 per wheel!

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Sweet. Nothing but the best in this build. :thumb