Lowrider Dave - 1994 GLS (Archer)

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Lowrider Dave - 1994 GLS (Archer)

Post by Robsey »

I am having the same issue...
When the engine is hot, it fires but dies immediately.
Or it revs at about 500 rpm.

A gentle rev and all is fine.

Light throttle on start-up also seems to work too.

I have taken mine off and cleaned it...
I will refit it for work in the morning.
Fingers crossed.

Not quite sure why these fail, as mine moves freely inside.

I believe the most reliable replacement units are those fitted to the V6 engined cars.

"EDIT - I have posted my ICV antics on my Work horse WIP thread to save cluttering Dave's topic / thread"
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

My icv was sticky a few years ago, ended up taking it apart for a clean/lube then araldited it back together, now ok
I did get a spare to carry and found the same valve was used on a Volvo (can't remember which one) did the same clean/lube to that ready for a swap if it should play up.

Alan
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Robsey wrote:Not quite sure why these fail, as mine moves freely inside
That's interesting as neither my original or my current one move when I try to get it to open/shut - they both seem to be partially shut and won't budge.
Robsey wrote:"EDIT - I have posted my ICV antics on my Work horse WIP thread to save cluttering Dave's topic / thread"
Thank ye sire! *tugs forelock*
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Bah! having hot start problems big time. Today being hot outside, the car didn't cool much during work, when I went to leave I had to throttle it a bit until it idled okay, I went to Physio and when I came out it would not idle and even trying to start it again sounded slightly laboured. I tried about 7 times and then just disconnected the ICV, the car started but idled/raced at 2K. I left it at home in the garage to cool but it is still hot to the touch. I tried old ICV - same problem, cleaned and oiled new ICV - same problem. Now when I disconnect the ICV I get a pulsing idle, from 2K to 3K and back to 2k and repeat. What the hell is going on?! I can't drive it like this.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Bloody Cavs, it's always one thing after the next. My V6 isn't liking the hot weather, I thought it was going to overheat today in traffic but it just about stayed under 100C, must get that thermostat replaced.

Sounds like it might not be the ICV itself then, have you cleaned out all the breather hoses lately?
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Yes, the hoses were new replacements at the same time as the ICV. It's only just started playing up when the engine is hot/used more than twice in a day. I need it to get to and from work and if it's not going to play ball then I'll have to get something else. I will try a new ICV and double check all pipes.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am wondering if you have a cracked or split vacuum pipe.
I know if the mixture goes wonky, it can cause the pulsing up and down changes in engine speed.
Saw it on a Carlton many years ago.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I took the wife's car to work yesterday to give the Cav a chance to cool down and the ICV to 'settle' - tried again this morning, it turns, sparks but won't fire without a touch of right foot and doesn't idles, revs just drop like a stone and it stalls. I tried a few time - the same. I hope the new ICV turns up today. Will check over hoses and connections to make doubly sure.
On a completely not* connected note, I 've been musing over a Astra Mk5 again...
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Hope the new valve solves the problem.
I replaced my MK2 Astra Estate with a MK4 Estate last year, love it, well made vehicle done 11k miles so far.
1.8 Auto and doing 40 - 43 mpg (best 48) I have read that the mk5 is heavier, nice though!

Alan
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Looking at this at the moment:
2011 1.8 SRI
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-VAUXHALL ... 2670163800

Anyway, rapid delivery of part ordered on Monday means I had a new ICV to fit. Did so and checked breather pipes - clear, checked vacuum hose - all good, cleaned up contacts in dizzy. Fired up first time!
Time will tell if it performs when hot.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

That's good news Dave. Hopefully the fix will last.

I have to admit, even I have been eyeing up a few newer cars lately.
After the Diplomat's accident, I don't feel so confident driving them as every day cars.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Dropped off the CDX bumper for painting, then I can swap the current bumper for one with fogs!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Lowrider Dave wrote:then I can swap the current bumper for one with fogs!
I cut out holes in my LS bumper and fitted fog lights myself.

Doesn't look too tatty, unless you get right up against the mounting holes.
The bumpers are marked out on the inside, and all fixture lugs are present and ready to use.

Anyway - it is all progress.
:thumb
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

The current bumper has some heavy scratches and the acquisition of the CDX bumper was done along with other parts so no great effort was made. I'll have a facelift and and old GLS bumper to dump soon, along with the current cloth interior when I swap to leather.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I know you want an update, just as much as we want Trump to fall down the steps of Airforce One.
Sadly the latter has not happen, the former is very much in the offing. Read on sweet prince/princess/ovoid creature of the abyss*
*Delete as applicable

The alignment of moon, stars and a screaming child falling into a paddling pool meant I could, at long last, get the front bumper put on the Cavalier, so after work it ‘caught some air’. Dude.

To gain access to one of the bumper bolts, I had to remove the air intake. The bolt head can be seen roughly in the centre of this photo.

Looking in through the headlight on the Driver’s side, look at that lovely muck! This was a prime opportunity to clean it.

In the interests of impartiality, here is the passenger side with headlight removed. Like your sister - dirty.

Called it a night.

The following morning, I removed the two main bolts and a number of those plastic fasteners. Gently withdrew the bumper with all the strength and skill of someone  w*£$%ing off an elephant.

Washed, cleaned, dried and then polish for no reason other than I was, just like Milton Keynes, unlikely to revisit that area again.

Some of the cable wrap had perished, so I rewrapped it with a low tack cloth tape (that was a successful eBay purchase last year). 

Brand new bumper ‘chrome’ inserts from Germany - thanks to Lord McGrath for spotting these.

The old bumper, discarded like the dreams of my youth - dashed like waves on the rocks of reality and left to drown face down in the rock pool of despair.

Here on BBC2 - Naturewatch
A brief interlude as my attention was distracted by a bumble bee the size of a bucket pretending to be a drunken window cleaner. I enslaved it and set it to work cleaning the entire house. The whole deal fell through when transporting him to the house he promptly buggered off - took my cash with him mind you. That’s insects for you - feckless workers.

Reassembled the front bumper that had been in parts for a few months. The freshly resprayed part looking particularly smart. Refitted bumper, headlights in with weather strips refitted and air box installed. The fog lights were connected as luckily I already had the connectors in the wiring loom, so it was a plug and play install (well, after fitting dash switch and small relay).

Together with the refurbished alloys (including one for the spare), new grille and new reg plate with forum address.  I will respray grille area matt black.

A drink to celebrate…
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

Looks really nice! :thumb :)
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Is that grill one of those FK jobbies ? Do those new front fogs work ?
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Good progress and an entertaining write-up :thumb
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

That new bumper looks pretty amazing Dave.

Nice work.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

iangsi wrote:Is that grill one of those FK jobbies ? Do those new front fogs work ?
I don't know about the manufacturer of the grill - it came from a website in Germany via ebay in 2016.
Yes, of course the fogs work!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

James McGrath wrote:That new bumper looks pretty amazing Dave. Nice work.
Thanks! Amazing what a respray and new inserts can do!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

ilovedmymantas wrote:Good progress and an entertaining write-up :thumb
Tobias_CDX wrote:Looks really nice! :thumb :)
Thank you both!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Yep looks good, reminds me of me a few years ago, I'd be removing the front end on my old auto just to clean up the metalwork behind there for fun. Definitely can't beat a good old cleaning/polishing/removing/replacing parts session.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
T1BBST3R

Post by T1BBST3R »

SMART!
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Lowrider Dave wrote:
iangsi wrote:Is that grill one of those FK jobbies ? Do those new front fogs work ?
Yes, of course the fogs work!

Proof please