James' 1995 Manual CDX V6 Saloon

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: James' 1995 Manual CDX V6 Saloon

Post by 3cav3 »

If you ever need these or other decals recreating try Titch at www.machinerydecals.co.uk
Tell him Gareth sent you and I'm sure he will be pleased to help.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You could get him to make a few sets up,
I am sure that there are many members who would be interested.

There will be plenty of 20-odd year old alloy wheel centre caps needing a good refurb.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Great write up - just looking at the photos of the gaskets made by back ache - the times I spent faffing with that V6 engine!

Lucky find with those centre cap covers! I’ve just had my alloys refurbed so have ‘lost’ the logos, but more on that in my own thread.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:You could get him to make a few sets up,
I am sure that there are many members who would be interested.

There will be plenty of 20-odd year old alloy wheel centre caps needing a good refurb.
He doesn't charge any artwork fees as his view is you need it then others probably will. Sometimes you do have to send him a reminder, but hes never very expensive.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Nothing like a spell of driving a truly awful vehicle to make you appreciate how good the Cavalier really is.
I've just had the indecent experience of driving the company van all the way from Bateman's to the V&A museum in the heart of London to collect some paintings. Whole round trip was about 7 hours in total.
First time I've driven a van and the first time I've driven a diesel, also the first time I've driven through London.
The experience was just as underwhelming as I thought it would be.
It was a 2012 VW caddy 1.6TD by the way.

Anyway, the journey home this afternoon in the Cav V6 felt just that bit better than usual.

I was hoping to get an update written up for this a few weeks ago now as I've actually done quite a bit to it lately.
However I've been held up by the air-con which I though was fixed but has now sprung yet another leek. This time it's a suspected Schrader valve. Once I get that done I'll do a full update.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I hate vans and I hate diesels. Filthy stinking dirty pieces of crap. I know exactly what you mean James.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I absolutely love vans and diesels, particularly mine as my work pays all the running costs. It's a Astra 1.7 diesel, goes well and apart from parking ( no rear windows to see through) it's just like driving a car.
Good luck with getting your aircon sorted. It does make a massive difference for a couple weeks of the year. Wish my cavaliers had it fitted.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Well being a diesel van was only part of it really. It was more the electric steering with no feel, the hydraulic clutch with no feel and the over sensitive brakes with, you guessed it, no feel, that was the most unsatisfying part. Plus the uncomfortable seating position and plethora of rattles didn't help.

I had to drive it again today to collect a painting from the Brighton pavilion. Hopefully that will be it for now.

Yes, the air con is being a real pain. First I replaced the condenser and receiver dryer and it worked for about 8 hours, after that I had to replace the condenser and the pressure switch and it worked for about 2 days.

Here's a photo of it actually working:

Alas it didn't last. :wall
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

My advice, get rid of the air-con altogether. How often are you going to be using it in the next 6 months? It's more hassle than it's worth.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hmm - my two penneth worth.

Our other car is a Diesel Vectra-C with the much maligned 1.9CDTi 150 engine.

On the whole it is a nice comfy car to drive with plenty of go and 50% better fuel economy than the petrol Cavalier.

I can honestly say that I have used the air-con a lot this (early) summer.

As for dirty - I cannot say it is any dirtier than a 23 year old Cavalier running 1990s standard emissions control.

At present I have opted to drive the Vectra, whilst I recover from hurting my back lifting a 90 Kg powered wheelchair onto a pallet for repair.
My own stupid fault. I have done dozens of NHS moving and handling courses so I should know better - ha ha.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I have to say, as I'm walking everywhere nowadays, and unfortunately most of it is along pavements on the roads, the smell of diesel fumes is absolutely disgusting. I can't even smell gasoline exhausts now, all I can smell is those horrible polluting disgusting diesel fumes. Walking among those fumes will kill me faster than smoking and drinking, guaranteed.
Previous:

bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

Great looking car James well done to you and good luck with it.i do fancy an auto version one of these days as my 93GLS is now in the hands of my brother and he's loving it.
great work with your manifold gasket as well time perseverance and effort usually pay off and .....the result can be very rewarding.

cheers
Bob
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Well I still haven't got the air con sorted. :roll: So close yet so far.

Anyway, she had her MOT last week; which she failed but only because the handbrake efficiency was too low.
Thankfully, all it needed was a clean up of the shoes and drums/disks and a tightening of the handbrake cable.
I would have done it myself but the garage said they could do it for only £28!
Se had her retest yesterday and passed. :D

I've also decided to take a short holiday to Germany in October.
I'll be driving all the way to Seeheim-Jugenheim, a 459 mile journey and I'll be taking the V6.

Hopefully the car won't give me any trouble on the way but just to be sure I'm going to give her a dam good service and get the cam-belt replaced.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Would that be anywhere near the Oktoberfest be then ?
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Wise choice James, the cam belt change. I think the V6 will take that journey in its stride. You wouldn't be happening to go near a thing called the autobahn would you? :)

P.S. you couldn't visit opel classic parts and get me some bits would you :lol:
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

cavalier1990 wrote:P.S. you couldn't visit opel classic parts and get me some bits would you :lol:
They ship worldwide... :D
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Unfortunately I'll just miss Oktoberfest. I'm going on the 16th.

Yep, I'll be spending a good amount of those 459 miles on the autobahn so I want to make sure everything is running well.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

To get you in the spirit...

Haben Sie sich eine fantastische Reise nach Jugenheim und vergessen Sie nicht, viele Bilder zu machen.

Which vaguely means...

have yourself a fantastic trip to Jugenheim and don't forget to take lots of pictures.
Tobias_CDX

Post by Tobias_CDX »

Robsey wrote:Haben Sie sich eine fantastische Reise nach Jugenheim und vergessen Sie nicht, viele Bilder zu machen.
Haben Sie eine fantastische Reise nach Jugenheim und vergessen Sie nicht, viele Bilder zu machen. :P
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Haben Sie eine angenehme und sichere Reise - lassen Sie das Tier schnurren und es wird am meisten befriedigen!

Alan

(I hope that says what I planned)!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I dropped her off to have the cam-belt changed as well as a mini service today, all in preparation for her trip to Germany.

The service will just be Oil + filter and a coolant flush and change.
It's currently got some generic blue coolant in there at the moment, it's getting the proper red/orange GM Dexron VI stuff put in.

They are also going to see if they can do anything about the oil sump leak. They said that they can re-tap the threads so hopefully that will solve that long standing problem as well.
She's also finally getting the thermostat replaced at the same time. I bought a new GM stat about this time last year and have only just got round to fitting it.

Here's the part, genuine GM of course :cool

Should be ready by tomorrow.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Blue coolant in a V6? That ain't good. Glad you're getting it swapped out for good stuff.
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Yeah, that's what I thought.
It's been on my list of things to do since I got the car. But it was one of those jobs where if I'm draining the coolant I might as well do the thermostat, and to do that you need to take the cam-belt off.
So it all needed to be done at the same time. It's not exactly an easy or cheep job so it's been pushed back until now.
Really hope it's not too late for the oil cooler. I know they can go if the coolant isn't right.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye, I think Humbucker knows all about that in detail, basically if I remember right, water in oil - mayo sludge on dipstick - head gasket gone. Oil in water - sludge in coolant reservoir - oil cooler gone.

Hopefully it's ok, as you will need your wallet to grow to the size of a U.S supercarrier in order to get one of those replaced.
Previous:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Cam-belt has been changed, it's been given a full service and it's not got the correct GM dexron VI coolant.
The oil pan leak was also fixed by tapping a new larger thread and fitting an appropriately sized drain plug. It appears to have done the trick.

One problem though. I have noticed it's been very down on power recently. In fact, at times it's felt slower than the 115bhp Diplomat.
Plugged in the Tech 1 today and saw it had a fault code for the MAF sensor. I checked the readings and when you rev up they aren't changing very much, indicating a faulty sensor.

Rather annoying for this to happen right before my trip to Germany on Monday. I think it will still be fine for the journey, but I'm down on power that's for sure.