Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Mikebmth

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by Mikebmth »

So thanks to John we've fingers crossed found the issue, a loose gearbox mount.

The front mount which should have 3 bolts had 2 in it and both were loose, absolutely no idea how this could happen but when we stuck it in gear with handbrake on and foot break depressed the engine and box were trying to jump out of the engine bay near enough!!

Still missing a bolt as Vauxhall didn't have any in stock and wasn't 100% sure of the size so hopefully this week I'll get one and thread lock them in.

Still not sure whether to keep or sell it, needs a fair bit of work now as it's not like a lot of people's where they live off the road all winter, this is a daily driver.

We'll see.....
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Hopefully it's an easy fix then.

Good luck.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Mikebmth wrote:So thanks to John we've fingers crossed found the issue, a loose gearbox mount.

The front mount which should have 3 bolts had 2 in it and both were loose, absolutely no idea how this could happen but when we stuck it in gear with handbrake on and foot break depressed the engine and box were trying to jump out of the engine bay near enough!!

Still missing a bolt as Vauxhall didn't have any in stock and wasn't 100% sure of the size so hopefully this week I'll get one and thread lock them in.

Still not sure whether to keep or sell it, needs a fair bit of work now as it's not like a lot of people's where they live off the road all winter, this is a daily driver.

We'll see.....
Hi Mike

I guess you mean the rear mount, or where I think of as the rear of the box mount onto subframe with 3 bolts up side of box. I replaced mine as I shattered it trying to chisel the gear swivel selector off, at the same time had to replace the rubber mount onto subframe because at some time the bolt had sheared off so I got a new one on it.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

cavalier1990 wrote:
Hi Mike

I guess you mean the rear mount, or where I think of as the rear of the box mount onto subframe with 3 bolts up side of box.
Ummmmm well this one is at the front of the engine bay, bolts to the gearbox and the N/s chasis etc but all fixed now and ALL bolts replaced and no more knocking.

Also new bonnet cable fitted as mine didn't do anything tbh and broke the handle so that has also been replaced.

Now awaiting some welding and I must get the tracking sorted as its a bit lively at motorway speeds! and the budget tyres i bought are just awful so may have to consider changing at least the fronts over to something grippier before the dreaded winter sets in again.

So left to do:

[*] Welding to Os/r sill and clean poor welds by drivers door sill area
[*] Replace seat foam on drivers seat as bolster has started to crumble but cloth of seat is fine
[*] Fix N/s fog light (again!) - Anyone got a splash cover for N/s???
[*] Polybush the exhaust and fix or replace the heatshield as broken at least 2 of its mounts
[*] Replace bonnet or respray due to paint problem
[*] Replace top end with lower mileage head (72k ish) and ancillaries which are bought and in storage
[*] Replace wiper blades before winter as getting smeary
[*] General underside check over and possible Waxoil

Few jobs but £££ is a problem at the moment so things will get done as and when i can afford to do the work however the Welding i do need to book in asap as don't want it getting much worse!!
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Few Pics!!

Cheeky pic of my friendly mechanic friend Johns Cav

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Glad you finally got the gearbox sorted, one more job off the list, does the bonnet open now as it should?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Glad you finally got the gearbox sorted, one more job off the list, does the bonnet open now as it should?
Yup, bit of a scary one tbh!!

And yup bonnet opens no problem at all now, closes too ;) :lol:
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Obviously for anyone reading -
It is a good idea to remove the radiator grille from the car, until you are a 1000% sure that the bonnet release works perfectly.

If it does not work, at least you now have access to the release mechanism. ;)

Excellent Mike,
good to see some progress.
It is too easy to give up when there is a shopping list of jobs to sort.
Stick at it - it will be worth it when it's done.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Good progress there Mike.

Looking pretty sweet at the moment too. :thumb
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Robsey wrote:Obviously for anyone reading -
It is a good idea to remove the radiator grille from the car, until you are a 1000% sure that the bonnet release works perfectly.

Really?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a Gsi grille and tbh can get to catch if I needed to, steel toe caps are handy sometimes :o :lol:
James McGrath wrote:Good progress there Mike.

Looking pretty sweet at the moment too. :thumb
Ummmm ta James, looks better in the pics believe me!

And today swear I closed the drivers window at half 4am when i picked up my work van for the day and returned lunchtime to realise i obviously didn't and have a wet seat :no and wet bum :no by the time i got home!!

Second time in a week i've done that but have the new foam for the seat at Johns place.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Mikebmth wrote:
Robsey wrote:Obviously for anyone reading -

Really?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a Gsi grille and tbh can get to catch if I needed to, steel toe caps are handy sometimes :o :lol:
Being your kind of luck, you'd probably boot a hole in the radiator or smash a headlamp when you miss. :wall

Maybe removing the grille is safer - it is only 3 small self-tappers. :P
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Woah a full year (nearly)....

As per my recent FB post where Mr. McGrath posted "thought the Cav was long gone"

She is still alive....just

In the past month it has had new front legs, lower arms, drop links and new Boge shocks but there is more work to be done with one being finding a Stainless Steel welder to fix my front strutbrace as it has broken off a lug on each side!! Was a cheapy ebay one so maybe cheaper to just buy another but we'll see.

As for the rest the headlining has started to fall around the front sun visors and sunroof but this will be getting a full replacement very soon.

Paint is starting to fail unfortunately with several bits now needing respray but this is an expense I cannot justify unfortunately.

Engine is still original, now on 148k and starting to struggle with my local driving and abusive right foot but I still have in storage a complete top end with a measely 72k or there about on it which will eventually be used to replace the current top end with its issues.

Been through a lot health wise and finally found a permanent job but the money is POOP so will do bits as and when I guess.

Probably have pics i've not posted on here but its Sunday and I really cant be arsed today...Lmfao
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As EnvoyCDX always used to say to me -
"all in good time".

It will get done.
I am surprised you used a stainless strut brace.
Stainless is great for corrosion resistance, but not good for absorbing twisting or flexing forces.
It is too rigid, and so will snap rather than twist / bend.
You might say that rigidity is the whole point, but as you've found, weld failure is almost expected to happen.

Hmm the dreaded head lining.
I know this situation well.
Probably best to pull off the fabric from the fibre-glass shell, and glue on some nice new foam backed perforated vinyl.

148k miles is just run in for a Cavalier, even one with a lively life like yours.

Health wise, I hope you are now well on the road to recovery.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Glad to hear you've still got her Mike.
Maybe another South East meet up is on the cards?

Sorry about your health though. Hope you're through the worst of it.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cheers Guys!

As for a Southeast Meet i'd be up for something when its Not freezing..lol..

Obviously i'm the only member left down this way, sad but have to add I have spotted a White Turbo (not sure if genuine) around the Poole area and a nicely modified blue hatch lurking so with my involvement in the modified car scene if i get to see either of them then i'll be sending them the clubs way.

As for the Cav its really had nothing done since my last post i'm afraid, the dreaded Xmas is on the way and being on poor money is not much fun.

As for my health, good days and very bad ones as I am recovering from not only a failed relationship but mental health issues with anxiety......Pleased to add i'm winning

And why say that on a car forum

Well it turns out a high percentage of people now suffer with depression and / or anxiety issues, the more visable this is then maybe we can make it not such a stigma.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Mikebmth wrote:Cheers Guys!

As for a Southeast Meet i'd be up for something when its Not freezing..lol..

Obviously i'm the only member left down this way, sad but have to add I have spotted a White Turbo (not sure if genuine) around the Poole area and a nicely modified blue hatch lurking so with my involvement in the modified car scene if i get to see either of them then i'll be sending them the clubs way.

As for the Cav its really had nothing done since my last post i'm afraid, the dreaded Xmas is on the way and being on poor money is not much fun.

As for my health, good days and very bad ones as I am recovering from not only a failed relationship but mental health issues with anxiety......Pleased to add i'm winning

And why say that on a car forum

Well it turns out a high percentage of people now suffer with depression and / or anxiety issues, the more visable this is then maybe we can make it not such a stigma.
It's getting such a high profile now, I work in the NHS systems, so see the targets being set up for it. There is a lot of people with a lot of problems, I guess it's just s symptom of modern life being so hectic and everything being so demanding, work life, social life, social media, no time for ourselves and time to relax. I've suffered from anxiety attacks as well but I tend to refocus and drop things I don't need to be doing so as to take pressure off myself, try and live in the present and not regret past mistakes or worry about future, you can't do anything about both so why even think about it is my motto.

Hope your getting somewhere with it, as Churchill said if you are going through hell, keep going.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Mikebmth wrote:As for my health, good days and very bad ones as I am recovering from not only a failed relationship but mental health issues with anxiety......Pleased to add i'm winning
Good to hear you've reached the "up-swing".
Mikebmth wrote:And why say that on a car forum
As a "member of the club" I totally agree.
I recently disclosed my skin condition in my post but not my mental state, yet they go hand-in-hand.
It seems even I have a stigma about It :oops:
The difficulty for me is I was born in the 60's as my parents were brought up during the war. Tough love compared to nowadays, I find it hard to adjust.

Mental health issues aren't new, they're just being recognized more nowadays.
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Yup its been a while....................

Afraid to say the Cav is gone, I sold it after rust got too eager back in October 2019 to a local lad who was going to use it to do a euro rally but has since had it mot'd so it is alive somewhere around Dorchester I believe.

I enjoyed the car for many years but after 2 rebuilds and it developing a bad drinking habit even on short runs it had to go.

So what now

I now have ready for the boo hiss

A BMW E90 320D on a 55 plate in black, so its basically a 2 litre turbo diesel 4 door saloon with rwd and lots of luxuries with some serious pace as I have had it mapped so its around 220bhp and lotsa lotsa torque

I was going to get a newer vauxhall but tbh I couldnt find one reliable enough, fancied an insignia but nothing but horror stories so heres where my Vauxhall affiliation ends im afraid.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Good to hear you're still alive mate, did send you a text last year. Been quiet ever since. All good, give us a shout when you're about, be good to catch up again.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Sorry to hear the Cav has gone Mike.
Hopefully it will be looked after by it's new owner

Feel very much like the old Southern gang has broken apart. :cry

Don't be a stranger to us, hope to see you at some Vauxhall meets even if you've gone Bavarian on us! :D
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

James McGrath wrote:
Sadly all of the regional gangs have broken apart...
There are vitually no North West members either.

We are becoming a rare but special breed.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Robsey wrote:
James McGrath wrote:
Sadly all of the regional gangs have broken apart...
There are vitually no North West members either.

We are becoming a rare but special breed.
hey i still have my cavalier you know, it might be an ornament but i still have it.

someone mentioned new vauxhalls, steer clear and get a shitreon! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I agree,
I never fancied any Vauxhall after the Cavalier, other than Omega.

Okay, I have a Vectra-C, but that has suffered all the failures that they list on the forums.

Besides all new Vauxhalls are rebadged Peugeot / Citroen / DS plastic boxes full of elec-trickery.
Not car enthusiast friendly at all.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

To be honest with you I wouldn't be without my Mk5 Astra Van. It's run through work and I've been offered an upgrade, but have turned it down as there's nothing out there modern wise that appeals to me. Between the written off one and this one I've done over 100k and have only really wanted the flywheel/ clutch, a gearbox mount + tyres. It's serviced every not, but apart from that, nothing.
Vectra c on the other hand, ouch. I've had 2 V6 diesel autos and both suffered with the failure of the sprag clutch in the gearbox, evectivley writing them off.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I think I have Vauxhall in my veins.
HA Viva, HB Viva, HC Viva, Astra Van (mk 2), Mk3 Cavalier, Mk2 Astra Estate, another Mk2 Astra Estate and my present Mk4 Astra Estate and I can honestly say I haven't had any major problems with any of them other than routine parts that have worn out.
The mk4 is the most with electronic involvement and I wouldn't want anything with more electronics - which rules out all modern vehicles!

Alan