Lowrider Dave - 1994 GLS (Archer)

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
cavalier1990

Re: Lowrider Dave - 1994 GLS (Archer)

Post by cavalier1990 »

Funny you mention those new bumper chrome trims. I didn't even know mines had those as they were so worn out I couldn't see any of the chrome left! Got a set to fit now. Really like that grill set up and the new trims, ssmokin!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

iangsi wrote:Proof please
LOL - I had a feeling you were going to say that!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

cavalier1990 wrote:Funny you mention those new bumper chrome trims. I didn't even know mines had those as they were so worn out I couldn't see any of tyhe chrome left! Got a set to fit now. Really like that grill set up and the new trims, ssmokin!
Cheers. Fitting is a bit of a faff. To do it properly you'll have to take off the bumper to separate the black plastic section from the body coloured plastic skin.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Lowrider Dave wrote:
iangsi wrote:Proof please
LOL - I had a feeling you were going to say that!
I thought the doctor warned you about those feelings :no
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

iangsi wrote:I thought the doctor warned you about those feelings :no
He did, but did I listen....
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Decided I would start on the paintwork to try and look a bit more presentable.

Out came the DA and and my batch of Chemical Guys products, I shall be using optical grade hybrid compound 034, following with 036 cutting polish and finishing with 038 optical grade final polish. Possibly add some V4 final polish over that to seal it in and take the hit from the next batch of road dirt.

Having cleaned the car the day before and wheeled back into the garage I felt no need to wash the car again. A fresh pad on the DA, applied 034 compound and worked on the bonnet in an area about the 6th of the overall size. I did the whole bonnet but have left the next stage until later as I'm away for work this week. Also, I need to clay bar and polish the wife's car as it feels horrid after I washed it, so many surface contaminants!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Mileage: 119k
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Lowrider Dave wrote:Mileage: 119k
Only just running in...

Think my Cav leathered past that mileage 13 years ago.
But then not everybody has Starship Enterprise mileage on their car like I do...
261 thousand-ish miles at my last fuel up.

Maybe you could design a "Starship Cavalier" sticker for the old girl.
:P

So any pictures of the post-da bodywork?
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

There's a lot more to this 'polishing' malarkey than I thought. Used to use T Cut and finish off with Simoniz.
Now we have clay bars, various grades of cutting and polishing compounds applied with different pad densities to be finished off with a wax and/or a ceramic coating! (If I've got that right)?
I bought a cheap DA polisher from Argos (£14) lots of years ago and never used it till recently and I must say I was most impressed with it. I used Farcela G3 which has given a lovely shine and removed most of the swirls I then applied a Farcela G3 wax and I think it's the best the cars looked. Could continue to attempt to remove all the swirls but thought I would stop while I was winning!
Quite an addictive process as I have now continued the process onto our other vehicles.
Let us know how you get on Dave - and try not to go through the laquer!

Alan
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Dan (migweb) came round to help with wiring I've been wanting to tidy. So we properly wired up - via the fuse box - the dashcam and new voltmeter/USB plugs, removing a load of extra lengths of wiring that passed through the bulkhead making the engine bay and under dash tidier.

Got a clearance company to come round and take some stuff away including bumpers and other larger Cav parts that I couldn't shift for love nor money.

Almost bought a 1.7 Astra van Sportive XP. But a day after I viewed it, it got sold as I was arranging the loan. Looks like it wasn't meant to be. I'll be going to look at A Corsa VXR at the weekend.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Any reason for the sudden decision to sell Dave? Other than the usual Cavalier antics of course.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Not sudden from my side of things, I have been looking for a more modern car since I sold the V6 - I just wanted to shift to a car that had better back support, cruise control, had less reliability issues, etc. I have spend years with 'bangers' and I have long wanted to treat myself to a 'new' car and my back keeps getting worse the more I lean over engine bays or grovel under cars. I'm at the stage where I don't want to modify my car to reach a half way stage or something near what I ideally want.

I have spent too much money in the past getting the car up-to-scratch or a condition that I am happy with only to see that I have spent a 1/10 of what a new car would cost me.

I have to cut my spending somewhere and having spent £1500 on Archer, enough was enough. I now have a 1.6 turbo Corsa VRX in Arden Blue. Now selling Archer is a different story, it's a buyers market and no-one wants a 23 year old car. I am loathed to scrap it given all the work I have done to it, but when the tax runs out in December I may consider it. I cannot afford two cars, especially as I have to pay for the Corsa.

That's life unfortunately.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Update.
Having had the Corsa VXR for a couple of weeks and driven it to and from work I can confirm the suspension setting are dialled in to 'Spinal injury'. I am used to a 'sporter' ride but every little bump is jarring and given that Britain's local roads lack correct maintenance, this is a unpleasant experience. Yes I could just live with it, yes I could 'man up' - but if 'manning up' threatens to compress my spine and take me off work for another 6 months, then f**k manning up. I am in my late 40s and I want a nice car with a level of comfort.

So, I'm binning the VXR. I love it, the interior is nice, the Recaros hold me well and support my lumbar, I love the Arden Blue and the body kit but the suspension is too harsh - it has to go.
Back at a local stealership I have driven a hard bargain to get something better. A black SRI VX-Line will be winging it's way to me this week.

As ever, the trust Cav has been there for me to tootle about in between times. No bids on ebay for it, I will use it until the tax runs out in December then think about how to dispose of it...
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I find a lot of modern vehicles, not necessarily sporty, exhibit hard/firm suspension/ride.
I do think a lot of this is down to low profile tyres creating a very 'jiggery' ride.
It's not for me - perhaps cause I'm even older!

Alan
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I agree. I've yet to have been in anything made post 2000 that feels anywhere as near comfortable to be in than my old cars. Everything is just too firm nowadays, even on the motorways. Why? Not everyone lives on a race track, cars need proper suspension that doesn't ruin the passenger's back everytime they go in it.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Since pulling my back a month or so ago, I have found the sitting position and suspension comfort much better in my Cavalier than a 11 years newer Vectra-C.
Even though the Cav is on lowered springs.

In a weird way, the comfiest car by far for me was my 2002 Yaris that I had a year ago.
I still miss that car, despite being Japanese, tiny, odd-looking and heavily damaged down the passenger side.
(Apologies if any one finds that offensive - lol).
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

'Archer' has been reliable as ever taking me to and from work without problem. Last Friday took the VXR to my local stealership, parted with a little extra cash and drove away in a 66 plate Corsa VX-Line SRI. My first car that has cost me more than £1000! With no real room to put the Cavalier, I will be putting it back on eBay . In the past I had loads of views a handful of watchers but no bids, buyers market i suppose. Who wants to pay £600 for a 23 year old car, even if all the niggle have been sorted and it come with a dashcam!
Ah well, thems the breaks.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Just an small update. The Cavalier has been on ebay a couple of times now. Limited interest, although I have a chap in Liverpool who is showing signs that he may come down and look at it.

Its replacement, the Corsa, is nice and comfortable. No real options for tinkering like you can with a Cav but I can happily settle into a routine of just cleaning and going to shows rather than spending more money and constant maintenance. Old age I think is to blame...and my laziness!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Lowrider Dave wrote: spending more money and constant maintenance. Old age I think is to blame...and my laziness!
Sounds like a quote from the book of Robsey.
:lol:

From Liverpool eh?
potentially another northern member.
We are a bit southern heavy at the moment. :)
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

LOL.
I'll steer him int he direction fo the forum if he buys her. He currently has a Vectra but wanted something different to go to and from work in.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

...and sold to a chap who came down from Liverpool. So keep an eye out of it if you are in that neck of the woods!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Congrats mate, at least she's gone to a new home.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Cavalier342 wrote:Congrats mate, at least she's gone to a new home.
Cheers. Glad it went to someone who had a reason and purpose for buying it.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Looks Like Archer is up for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-cav ... SwpxFauAfZ
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

Isn’t it a big mark up on what Dave sold it for? And I’ve seen this on another page on FB and asked if the previous owner was from Southampton and I was told no he was from Scotland