Cavalier - B204R Conversion

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
V4matt

Cavalier - B204R Conversion

Post by V4matt »

:wave Hi all, new on here.

Going to be starting a long awaited saab conversion on my cav soon and have a couple of questions.

1. Are the saab front hubs/legs the same as the cav (just a case of fitting the cav inserts and top mounts? )

2. Will any of the original saab exhaust fit the cav?

The car is a 99 9-3 HOT(haven't collected yet) - do the 93's have a hydraulic clutch? If so, will it be easier to fit the hydraulics and pedal OR can it be converted to cable?

Any help greatly appreciated :cheers
Pics to follow.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Cavalier - B204R Conversion

Post by Robsey »

I have absolutely no idea about Saab stuff, but I suspect that a hydraulic clutch would be moderately easy to plumb in, and will definitely give a lighter clutch pedal operation.

I am sure you will find that Vectra-B gearboxes are fitted with hydraulic clutches, so this should give you a starting point for how Vauxhall configure and fit hydraulics for clutches.

The 1999 Saab 9-3 is more or less a 1999 Vectra-B in Swedish clothing -
When GM bought Saab in 1994, they shared many parts and concepts between the Vectra and the 9-3.
They continued this practice upto the end of production for Vectra-C in late 2008.
Metallicav

Post by Metallicav »

I know a few bits about the Saab conversions as I've looked into them myself if you haven't already I would suggest joining the Saabworks group on facebook as there are a lot of knowledgeable people on there.
The front hubs and legs are the same but there are two types of spring cups, I think the earlier ones had the cav spring cup and later ones changed to a different type which can't be used with cav springs.

Most people that i've seen use vauxhall gearboxes as they bolt straight onto the saab engine, Usually an F20 or 6 speed F28, although there is a saab box that will work that is cable clutch.
On the exhaust side of things i'm unsure of what will fit.
Hope this helps.
Glacier White 92 16SV Cavalier L
Glacier White 95 16V Cavalier Sri

Jungle Green Vectra b Sri Estate Daily
belmont_dazz

Post by belmont_dazz »

Use a vauxhall gearbox. Saab ones arent as good especially the cable operated ones