Matts CDX - Work In Progress.

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
ilovedmymantas

Re: Matts CDX

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Thanks

I've never had air con before this is the newest car I've ever owned!, and thought I'd try to get it running. After all why go for a car with higher spec If it's not all working.
I didn't realise it would cost as much though :o

My eyes have been opened. I ran with it on all the way to Blackpool in sunny weather and I didn't realise the difference it would make to driving comfortably!
I've been converted :)
The return journey was overcast and It was hardly on - it was late and I used it mainly to keep me awake :lol:

I filled-up before leaving. The return trip was 395 miles and the car was still showing over quarter of a tank and around 55% of the time aircon on so I'm happy enough with fuel consumption
Stupidly, I forgot to re-set the fuel computer so I have no Idea what average consumption is.
I have noticed that the fuel consumption after fast idle ( 0.3 gallons per hour dropping to 0.2 gph when warm ) rises again to 0.3 when the aircon button's pushed.
Another observation is the temperature gauge, usually showing around 96 degrees dropped to under 90 (88-ish).
I wonder if the lower temperature helps fuel consumption?
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

James McGrath wrote:Good work there.

Must be lovely to have air con this time of year.
I've just tried to get my V6 air con working; the condenser and receiver dryer were replaced. It actually worked for a day before all the gas leaked out of the compressor. :wall
Unfortunately it can't be fixed so I'll have to get a new one.
It was, It didn't last long, maybe 2 months :( . Air-con seems to be so fickle :roll:

I've been having problems with my top mounts being a tiny bit worn :o

and I seem to recall someone having something worn through on their air-con, possibly due to worn suspension, iirc.

With that in mind I 've gone a bit mad (on a limited budget!)

Seven days after ordering suspension parts from https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ , they arrived, from Germany and I'm very happy.
Well packed with minimum waste:

images courtesy of postimage.org

The majority of the parts are as ordered. Three parts( febi tie rod ends and stabilizer), were substituted for Stark professional line, more expensive apparently but almost an online ghost.
I believe you can specify you want the manufacturer you ordered ( I didn't read the small print much )
This company (Stark) appears to be 2 years old (for these parts).
To be fair, they look ok and have a 3-year guarantee and although I've searched copiously I can't find any feedback from someone who's used them, even using metacrawler.
I'm thinking in this case "no news is good news" . I can't find anything negative.

Here's my shopping list from them, might as well do it right.

Position Article № Description of the product Amount Price per unit GBP Total price in GBP
1. 14643 01 Bolt, wheel alignment 2- £5,62

2. 10517 Rod/Strut, stabiliser 1-£7,25

3. 05201 Tie Rod End 1-£7,25

4. 05200 Tie Rod End 1- £7,25

5. 900 003 Dust Cover Kit, shock absorber 1- £8,87

6. 05131 Engine Mounting 1- £10,49

7. 34790 Repair Kit, suspension strut 2- £29,08

8. 07220 Engine Mounting 1-£29,93

9. 21-030529 Shock Absorber 2-£ 82,54

Just need to get it all fitted now.
I've included prices as a guide

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

ilovedmymantas wrote: eml stays on at startup, clears after one or two restarts, returns after around every 4 miles. No loss of power/limp mode.
Time for a paper-clip test
This problem cleared itself for months but now it's back with a vengeance. It's being totally random, It can take 1 turn of the key or 20, no difference between cold and warm (tickover's ok and doesn't stall). Once running stays off till next startup.

I always suspected the lambda since the downpipe change, I'm sure I see cracked insulation on one wire, so with that in mind I've been looking for a replacement and finally found one at the best price
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Cav ... 2749.l2649

I was wary at first but I'm very happy buying intermotor parts now. It's like taking part in a tv quiz show - what's in the mystery box :lol:
First, the new icv was VDO :thumb

The lambda sensor is NTK :D

On the downside my mot's due at the end of the month and I've broken a spring.
The upside is it happened during 55 mile daily trips the past week to visit a dog at a rescue centre, he should be mine on Wednesday :D

Downside - can't get springs done till Thursday
Upside - I had PI front springs in a cupboard I'd bought for my (previous) sri years ago ( I bought the springs for the car, not the cupboard :lol: ).
I was worried when the part no. was 60-252. I thought that implied a 60mm drop, not what I really wanted!
Turns out (after lots of searching) it's a full kit number, and lowers by 35mm at the front, I can live with that.
So all things going well on Thursday I'll have new pi springs and bilstein b4's fitted. If he's got time I'll start the mot process, might as well get all the pain at once!
I'm too happy rescuing another dog to think about the cost, although it'll probably wipe me out :|

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Matts CDX - Work In Progress.

Post by Robsey »

With shortened springs, you may find that the suspension legs can be rebuilt without a spring compressor.
So much quicker and easier.

You will still need the compressor to strip the legs obviously.

So easy even a simple-soul like me can do it.
The hard bit is the 60mm gland nut holding the damper inside the leg.
Just do it up "F-ing" tight. Not much chance of getting a realistic / accurate torque value without the proper garage kit.
But then how many garages have a 60 mm spanner? :p

Ps - congrats on getting the new fluffy family member :grommit
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Thanks, apologies for my tardiness, I wrestled with the broken spring and the snow on Wednesday and now have a lovely little jrt with a few minor problems that only require time and patience :D

I picked the car up late on thursday from the garage. I had the front shocks (sorry, strut inserts :roll: ), springs and new dust cover and bumper stops fitted.
The new lamda sensor was fitted as well.What a difference it makes,especially in this weather,running properly first time.

I'm very pleased with the suspension change, It seems to be a good combination - not too firm( and nowhere near the modern level of required stiffness for even the poxiest of modern cars ! )

Today I noticed a noise from the nearside. Might be a cv joint or the springs not seated right.
Guess I'll find out wednesday when goes for mot.

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If it is a single clonk, it is probably -
1 - rubber bush on the anti-roll bar,
Or
2 - worn track rod end,
or
3 - worn wishbone bush or bottom ball joint.

I would suggest top mount rubber or strut-top mount, but these should have been spotted and sorted during the suspension leg rebuild and refitting.

CV joint is more of a crackly (cracking fingers) type noise when doing a very tight turn in one direction only.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Love it! Absolutely love the attention to detail on this one.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:If it is a single clonk, it is probably -
1 - rubber bush on the anti-roll bar,
Or
2 - worn track rod end,
or
3 - worn wishbone bush or bottom ball joint.
1 and 3 are definite contenders (new track rod ends).

It is a single clonk, feels pretty light & sounds pretty faint compared to the broken spring though.
I thought I'd have a better 'feel' for locating it with the longer drive.

Today I had the chance to do around 50 miles, a long trip for me, it's usually just shopping every other day!
After 20 miles(ish!) I couldn't hear it any more. Not because the noise had gone though.

I couldn't hear it because it was drowned out by a new noise, one that everyone could hear :oops: , a metal to metal squeal :wall .
My thoughts were the usual;
bent disc shield making contact with the disc, a lazy caliper, or pads getting low.

This is different though and I can't figure it out.
The sound of it is constant no matter what speed the car is doing and It stops just before I come to a dead stop.
It's almost like it's a wheel slipping on an un- keyed shaft :scratch

To add to the air of mystery, bearing in mind mot tomorrow, the eml light has decided to make an appearance again :roll:
Lets see what happens tomorrow.......

Thought I'd finish with a couple of pics

With the new springs and shocks fitted the stance is noticeably different but not unlike my previous sri- tail up!

not bad from quarter view

bit more noticeable from side

I don't really care, it's practical and i like the hotwheels look :lol:

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Envoy CDX wrote:Love it! Absolutely love the attention to detail on this one.
Thank you!

That's what happens when you don't get out much :lol:

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Which spring & shock you go with ?

Looks nice mate. Hope the other problems get fixed soon

On my car, the top part of the rubber was just about visible .... I think they’ve past the best - need get some new ones all round.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Mazza wrote:Which spring & shock you go with ?.
"I was worried when the part no. was 60-252. I thought that implied a 60mm drop, not what I really wanted!
Turns out (after lots of searching) it's a full kit number, and lowers by 35mm at the front, I can live with that.
So all things going well on Thursday I'll have new pi springs and bilstein b4's fitted. "

I got the best info for cav springs here
https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated ... alier.html
Looks a decent site as a starting point, if only to compare specs & prices.
-I've never dealt with the company, I was searching for info on part numbers I already had, luckily the right ones!

The consensus of various car forums seems to be PI lowering springs are not as firm as other popular makes.
From memory the sri was firmer, even with less of a drop from standard than the new springs. They suit the cdx.
I'm basing that on the kidney-ometer scale.
- Before the new parts were fitted the car was comfortable but always felt too bouncy, a dream on motorways and speedbumps but not very reassuring on corners.
-Now the new parts are fitted I've been reminded I have kidneys after hitting the speed bumps. Not anywhere near as harsh as the sri was though :D

mot's now Thursday as when I went today he'd had one of those days. Three of them were straining to undo something on a pig of a car that had set him back so i said tomorrow was ok.

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Thanks mate - I’ll check out the link and information.

I think I need a full set all round on my car. I have to drive around the pot holes, otherwise very painful. But great on the motorways.

Was sitting on 60mm or very near ... but currently stripped to the shell, so will find out ...
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Passed the mot :P
2 advisories, slight corrosion to ns & os brake pipes so better than expected

Eml playing up again, managed to start it properly before it went on the ramp. While I was waiting I paperclip tested it.
Codes 92 & 93 - cam sensor and hall sensor.
Depending on the weather I'll try and fix the cam wiring. I've no doubt it's where the modified sensor cable was attached, I didn't do the one on this car :|

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Good job and one less thing to worry about
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

ilovedmymantas wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:Love it! Absolutely love the attention to detail on this one.
Thank you!

That's what happens when you don't get out much :lol:
Nowt wrong with that, though it gives me less excuses for not doing mine
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

ilovedmymantas wrote:Passed the mot :P
2 advisories, slight corrosion to ns & os brake pipes so better than expected

Eml playing up again, managed to start it properly before it went on the ramp. While I was waiting I paperclip tested it.
Codes 92 & 93 - cam sensor and hall sensor.
Depending on the weather I'll try and fix the cam wiring. I've no doubt it's where the modified sensor cable was attached, I didn't do the one on this car :|
Congrats. hopefully not too costly to resolve the issues.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Mazza wrote:Good job and one less thing to worry about
Envoy CDX wrote:Congrats. hopefully not too costly to resolve the issues.
Ta.
I fitted a new updated cam sensor from the kit a couple of years ago so I've still got the modified plug & wiring from it. Should be easier with one side of clean wiring.

I followed the kit instructions when I modified the one on the sri. From (dodgy) memory it involved cutting the original cable, way back from the sensor, and joining wiring somewhere under the air intake pipe for the throttle body.

Just had a thought :idea:

Even if it does have to be joined far back (to hide it maybe :scratch ) why not use a plug/socket setup from somewhere like Maplin ?
When fitting the plug on the sensor side I can be indoors warm & cosy :D , that just leaves fitting a socket to the engine side.
Can't do anything just now though, the weather's sh*t :roll:

I'v still got the oil-level light on :x
ilovedmymantas wrote:...

[ Image ]

if you noticed the oil-level light, so have I. Every bleeding minute :lol:
Previous oil and filter change the level light came on and stayed on for ten months then it cleared itself.
This oil-change same again I hope it clears sooner this time :roll:
No such luck, although It's only been 6 Months so I reckon It'll clear just in time for it's next oil-change :roll:

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

ilovedmymantas wrote:No such luck, although It's only been 6 Months so I reckon It'll clear just in time for it's next oil-change :roll:
The oil level sensors seem to be quite susceptible to this problem.
I think they get air bubbles inside of them.

I put a brand new one on my V6 last year. The light still came on for a while after an oil change a few months ago, only for a week or so though.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I'm finally starting to come out of hibernation now.....

My cam sensor has been triggering the eml for weeks.

To my shame, I accidentally discovered that instead of trying to clear it by starting up to 20 times, I could do it second turn of the key by re-starting while the engine was still spinning. The starter motor always voiced it's disapproval but there was nothing I could do at the time.
Then everything fell into place, good weather and a day I didn't have to go shopping :roll: so I could work on a cold engine

I always suspected the modified cam sensor wiring so I thought I'd start there.

The routing and hairpin bend didn't inspire much confidence......not the way I'd do it

......but after unwrapping it looked ok. Sorry, crap pic

*edit
Unfortunately at this point i got a bit focussed and forgot about pics :roll:
I pulled on the crimped wires in rotation, increasing the force each time. Third attempt pulled a clean wire free from the crimp.

The other three survived increased tension so I was sure I'd found the fault. I re squeezed(?) the original crimps, followed by a wrap of self-amalgamating rubber tape. I love that stuff (unless you've got to remove it!) and finally the light is off :D ,

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

shopping run today confirmed it's fixed yay!

Since the intake pipe was off anyway I thought it was time to do the usual 'associated bits clean' and fit the shiny new icv I'd bought ages ago

No change to warm idle consumption....

....not that I expected it could be lower.
I did hope it would help with slight acceleration lag or the 3 second delay between the car stopping & the idle speed dropping from 900- ish.
When It does it sits around 650, same as before (don't know how accurate the guage is).
There's a little less vibration, which wasn't a worry but I noticed it made edges of the dashcam footage look a bit psychedelic! Other than that not much difference.

The car seems slower but the battery was disconnected a while. Iirc :oops: from previous posts the ecu has to learn my driving style.
Time to dig out the big boots then :lol:

Overall the car's behaving itself mechanically (hope i haven't jinxed it) so it's really time fix a couple of niggles and concentrate on the bodywork - again :roll:

Rusty pics to follow...........

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

A slight lag could be something as daft as a slight induction air leak, vacuum pipe or a clogged breather...

But looking at your gals per hour figure, your car does seem to be running well.

I cannot get mine below 0.4, so double your figure. Although admittedly my fuel computer is not programmed correctly.
It is programmed for a C20XE, not a C20NE.
(A job for James if I ever make it to the VBOA day in July)..

A bit of new parts bling is always good. :cool
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:A slight lag could be something as daft as a slight induction air leak, vacuum pipe or a clogged breather...

But looking at your gals per hour figure, your car does seem to be running well.

I cannot get mine below 0.4, so double your figure. Although admittedly my fuel computer is not programmed correctly.
It is programmed for a C20XE, not a C20NE.
(A job for James if I ever make it to the VBOA day in July)..

A bit of new parts bling is always good. :cool
I can't find any obvious leaks although I've never checked the inlet manifold since I've had the car.
The exhaust manifold has a broken stud at the bottom left hand side (from front). No signs of leaking but I've had 2 cars with x20xev and this stud has been broken on both-is this a known fault?

I'm not sure how accurate the fuel computer is.
It does have the right chip but I vaguely remember doubting the miles left value (you did advise but I can't find it just now- I will later but I want to finish this post) :lol:

I assume you've compared your computer mpg to the old school ( fill-up and note mileage) method as a double check

....Now that the honeymoon period is over I've started to notice things more.
The only change was a fixed loose wire and a new icv.

On cold start It's 0.9, dropping to 0.2. I've also noticed on cold start that the engine pulses and the dash lights dim roughly every 3 seconds. It didn't do that before :scratch
I'm sure before It was 0.4 cold, dropping to 0.2 with no problems
It's now showing higher revs ( 1000 rpm) when I stop for lights before dropping to around the 650rpm vibration setting (no change there) after a few seconds :roll:

Right now I'm thinking clean & replace old icv and see what happens because that's the only real change I've made.

Since this was supposed to be a rustypic- follow-up I'll post them just now - they're not as bad as they look over all.
I have to say the arches are solid despite how they look on the surface!
Still needs an o/s sill welded though (small hole)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I've just found out how to organise the thumbnails :D
Can someone confirm they link to a bigger pic please

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Well,
after a surprise short-notice holiday (21st!) arranged by the other half :roll: the icv swap's 2nd top of the list - when it can be fitted in.
It seems to run no different to the old one when warm but I will try changing back to see if it solves the surging and the higher more gradual 1, 0.9, 0.8, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2 (gallons per hour cold to warm). I'm sure it's fuelling more from cold.
-No change to the vibration at idle though :(

I hate going on holiday with the car looking untidy so It'll need to be a quick rub/jenolite/spray can :roll:
The proper bodywork repairs will have to wait till I get back now but I've been saving years for this as the possible year of the re-spray.
It's picking the right place for the "once in my lifetime" work that's the problem.

My bumper has an annoying tow ball dent that I inherited so my thoughts turned to the front sri bumper I hade been generously given.
Seems like a good time to swap them, the only problem being the trim. I needed chrome ones, not red.
The old ones are 'tired' .
With that in mind , after hours (and hours) of searching I found them, the last 2 in the whole universe as far as I can see :D

This is where things got strange....

..I've never dealt with opel-classicparts.com before so I didn't know what to expect.
As far as I can see delivery & vat are hidden.
I requested a total, expecting combined postage, bearing in mind the parts weigh next to nothing. Apparently requesting an answer to my question commits me to buy !
After that an invoice arrives as your reply. Has the postage been combined? No such luck! I'm querying that though.
I expected vat but not the p&p to be charged twice. This is more than the item and they weigh nothing. The roll of cardboard they arrived in was heavier!
Trims arrived, very quickly and safely, in same package :x

I suppose I have to think "where else could I get them & at what cost"?

And they are nice and shiny :lol:

For anyone searching the part no's are
gm 90428472
opel 1409124

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you tap on the images, it will send you to the postimages website.
(On my mobile it does).

So I can zoom or expand using the usual method on a touch screen.
I think it will take a lot more faffing to zoom on a 'non-touch screen' laptop or pc.

I am jealous that your emissions figures go down to 0.2 gals per hour.
Mine start at 0.9, but refuse to go any lower than 0.5 when fully warmed up.

Despite your thoughts that the rear arch is solid under that scabby exterior, I suspect that it will be a hole within 12 to 18 months.

A nice looking project - I am sure it will scrub-up even nicer over the coming months.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

On my pc, mine and other images link to postimages site too.
I guess I was hoping that by posting a thumbnail it would link to the full image, or even a gallery.
No such luck though - I would have preferred that.
I guess full size is helpful to most users then :scratch
Robsey wrote:I am jealous that your emissions figures go down to 0.2 gals per hour.
Mine start at 0.9, but refuse to go any lower than 0.5 when fully warmed up.
You can't be far from fixing this now. You've worked through the whole new part replacement checklist.
Robsey wrote:Despite your thoughts that the rear arch is solid under that scabby exterior, I suspect that it will be a hole within 12 to 18 months.
I fear you're right :(

After a hands on with an abrasive I've discovered It's not big flaky surface bubbles, more of a solid growth that you know is going to leave a hole when It decides to let go :roll:
Damn my obsession - More money!

On the upside there's a local mechanic I've used before who does it all, not as cheap as my local garage but sympathetic to older cars.

All that can wait till I get back from our holiday break though.
-It's a rare opportunity to fill the tank so that I can compare average fuel consumption to the computer.

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt