M Plate 1.8LS Saloon

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
cavalier1990

Re: M Plate 1.8LS Saloon

Post by cavalier1990 »

iangsi wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:42 pm
Not had anymore issues with the EML.

I need to get the tracking done, it seems since I got a new front tyre it pulls to the right a good bit more, the other day I was almost getting a sore arm keeping the car in a straight line. I thought maybe something was off on the front end, so jacked up and had a check, everything looks ok.

I reckon having the one new tyre on that side might be "amplifying" the tracking issue, which I've been meaning to do for ages, but wear was minimal and I was using 2nd hand tyres as well so wasn't too bothered.

At least for now I'm going to try and free off the adjusters (good luck with that) and manually adjust it so it's not pulling to one side at least. Then can get it booked in for a tracking session.
Try checking the tyre pressures are the same first before messing with the tracking, you’d be surprised how much an under inflated tyre can affect the steering.
I'm a stickler for tyre pressures so that's ok, I really thought something was going wrong as it felt as if it was pulling a lot more the other day. Obviously if I'm on a road with right biased camber it pulls all the more that way with the tracking out so feels even worse than it is.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

So on Tuesday I took the steering arm off on drivers side see if I could adjust it in any way to remove this horrible pull to the right. Surprisingly I managed to get the adjuster free, although the track rod side lock bolt sheared when I tried to loosen it so could only adjust from the rod end. I adjusted it one turn out at a time, first shot never really made any difference, so one more turn out then it seems to have dampened down the right hand pull a bit.

I have had both the steering wheel off, new arms a few years ago and a ball joint early this Year, and a track rod at some point a year or so ago, so my tracking is way out. I tried removing the N/S steering arm as well but it was "vauxhalled" on, totally locked in the track rod end so have ordered a ball join splitter, not the chisel one as that destroys the unit, but the one with the pivoting arm that pushes the track rod thread up through the hole.

Have ordered a new adjuster and hoping to try and refurbish both arms so that I can then get tracking done.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

When you get the new steering arm adjusters it'll be worth greasing the threads with something like copaslip and then, when finally adjusted, covering them with underseal (like Hammerite Underbody) so they don't seize again. I did this years ago on my Cav and I'm very glad I did - they are still free to turn when the two pinch bolts are loosened and this makes tracking adjustment very easy.
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

chrisp wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:58 pm When you get the new steering arm adjusters it'll be worth greasing the threads with something like copaslip and then, when finally adjusted, covering them with underseal (like Hammerite Underbody) so they don't seize again. I did this years ago on my Cav and I'm very glad I did - they are still free to turn when the two pinch bolts are loosened and this makes tracking adjustment very easy.
I'll be saturating the adjusters in copper grease, never heard of the coating them in underseal trick though, interesting concept.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

I have now rebuilt the adjusters, what I mess I got into when doing the first one. I got the arms off my diplomat and used those as a reference point when rebuilding them.

Turns out I was trying to put the opposite side track rod end on the other arm, as I had the arm upside down, so it looked like it was matching the spare arm I had for the opposite side, really confusing but what it was I had the adjuster that would fit in the track rod, but then the other end was opposite thread for the arm, or vice versa i.e. I could turn adjuster round to fit in the arm but then the opposite thread was wrong thread for the track rod, as it was the track rod for the other side. Hope that all made sense :D

Finally got it right and once I put the arms on the car I tried to do a fine adjust by eye, but it's still miles out. Going to get tracking done on Saturday.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

So I went and got the tracking done today and while it's improved there is still this pull to the right. The guy showed me the print out and it you can see the difference in before and after. Certainly looking at the wheels it looks like the drivers side wheel is pointing more to the left with respect to the right wheel, this is with the steering supposedly sitting straight.

Going to have a look at it see if there is anything worn out like a arm bush or something, but just had MOT and had a look over it recently seemed ok.

Edit: I just noticed the tyre I got a couple of Months ago which was supposedly brand new was warped and the tyre carcass was literally splitting from the casing of the tyre, that's what was causing it to track to the right.

Took it back and got it replaced.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

All sorted after the tyre replacement?
Sounds good. I have seen issues in the past where people have been supplied with the wrong track rod ends or adjustment bars and it knocks things right out of kilter.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Envoy CDX wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:13 pm All sorted after the tyre replacement?
Sounds good. I have seen issues in the past where people have been supplied with the wrong track rod ends or adjustment bars and it knocks things right out of kilter.
Yes, much better, the steering wheel is a couple of degrees off dead centre so I can sort that later, going dead straight now and feels properly planted. The drift to the right was caused by the tyre mainly and the steering pointing to the left was the tracking.

P.S. on my look over I noticed left side spring is broken, as we know they when we fix one thing they repay us with another fault lol!
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Aye it's fickle thing is the cavalier setup sadly.
Springs, gotta love changing those out :/
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I suppose the springs have lasted well as your car is nearing the 30 yrs old mark. ;)

But yes. They are needy little buggers these Cavaliers
:wall
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:34 pm I suppose the springs have lasted well as your car is nearing the 30 yrs old mark. ;)

But yes. They are needy little buggers these Cavaliers
:wall
What I do know is they have been changed a few times before since I owned the car, and they weren't new when I replaced them, probably robbed off a spare strut I had lying around.

What I did fix today was my road tax, or vehicle excise duty as they now call it, forgot to renew it in December so lucky I never got a tug!
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Phew, lucky. But we make do, mend and so on, nowt wrong with robbing bits off spares, that's the point of spare :)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

With the amount of cameras on Police cars and at the roadside you were very lucky. That's the main reason I pay for my road tax by direct debit, some monthly and some yearly, so I can't forget. Years ago before anpr cameras I went about 4 months simply having forgotten to tax my car. The village copper(remember when we used to have those?) pointed it out to me and gave me 48hrs to sort it.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

3cav3 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:19 am With the amount of cameras on Police cars and at the roadside you were very lucky. That's the main reason I pay for my road tax by direct debit, some monthly and some yearly, so I can't forget. Years ago before anpr cameras I went about 4 months simply having forgotten to tax my car. The village copper(remember when we used to have those?) pointed it out to me and gave me 48hrs to sort it.
Got collared with my MOT out one Year, luckily the guy was very sympathetic and told me to get it home and get the test booked in. I'd been off work up to the xmas period as I'd done my knee in and totally forgot about the MOT. Went out to drop my mate off at airport, that was the first time I'd been out in about 4 weeks. Need to set reminders on my phone or something lol.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Been a bit quiet on the cavalier front these days work wise, I think I'm just letting it do it's thing and use it as the proverbial runaround, for both summer and winter, usually only use it in Winter mainly, I know anathema to the bodywork but I give it a good hosing down with fresh water every run, if there is any grit on the roads and most of the welding has been done - I say most, they'll be some more waiting for me soon! Saying that it's still on the original arches believe it or not; almost 30 Years in Scotland winters, that's a miracle for a cavalier!

I don't want to use the omega in the winter due to it eventually ending up like the cavy, needing welding everywhere. However with fuel prices being in the stratosphere at the moment I am limiting my use of the omega to any long straight runs I need to do on the mway mainly.

The thermostat was - has - been playing up for quite a while, engine took ages to warm up then sat about half way between cold and 90 most times. Figured I should really change the stat before winter, that's when it will really chew through fuel if the engine is cold everywhere.

I think my intermitent dousing of the three 10mm securing bolts every now and then has paid off. All 3 bolts loosened easily with no dreaded "Screech" and tightening up when trying to loosen, signifying the impending snap of the bolt that so often happens. I used I think it was a febi stat, and it was all done in a jiffy, topped up with prestone anti-freeze, and bobs yer uncle, or your anti (freeze). All good, temp sitting where it should be, warms up in 5 mins, so hopefully a bit more economical as well.

I do really need to clean the car, it's filthy inside and out, and fix the non operating central locking, haven't been in the back for about 8 months! Trust it to stop working in the locked position. In fact I may just sub a Q on the electrical forum, something tells me it might be the CL unit in the door, it kind of went intermittent, then just gave up the ghost.

Cheers

Andy
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sounds more like a wire starting to snap in the corrugated hose between the door and it's frame.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Funny thing happened the other day, I almost smashed into the back of a Skoda, as you do!

I was going through one of those under mway roundabouts and there is a set of lights there. The guy in front done an emergency stop for amber, he was half way across the line when he stopped, and I was completely convinced he was through them. Slammed the anchors on and luckily my ABS worked and I could steer to the side of the tail end of his car. Not so lucky was that I ended up up the kerb and busting all the wheel trim. So everything feel ok, there might be a slight dent in the wheel though I haven't checked yet.

Lucky escape, it could have been a rear ender and some insurance claims, I got off with only a broken wheel trim!

You old saying springs to mind, never assume anyone is going to do anything!
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Yeah, people are skittish on the road these days and its getting borderline dangerous, glad it didn't result in a smash.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Envoy CDX wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:05 pm Yeah, people are skittish on the road these days and its getting borderline dangerous, glad it didn't result in a smash.
Had a few like that, people slamming on anchors when they're 10 feet from a light that changes to amber. :wall
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

We seem to have the opposite here in Manc-land.
A lot of people appear to think that stopping for a red light is optional.

Many people since the first lock-down prefer to disregard the rules of the highway code - and road traffic laws.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Robsey wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:38 pm We seem to have the opposite here in Manc-land.
A lot of people appear to think that stopping for a red light is optional.

Many people since the first lock-down prefer to disregard the rules of the highway code - and road traffic laws.
Getting that way everywhere, people jumping lights for roadworks up this way, it's been horrendous.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Just ordered 2 Michelin 185/60/14s from black circle as I am always using part worns, decided to get some new ones and will be going to get tracking after my hols. Guy in kwik fit said my tyres were on their last legs - to me 3mm is still another 60k miles :D - but anyway decided to spend some sheckles and new boots for it.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

cavalier1990 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:23 am Guy in kwik fit said my tyres were on their last legs - to me 3mm is still another 60k miles :D - but anyway decided to spend some sheckles and new boots for it.
If they are like my local Kwik Fit, they would tell you that a tyre with 7mm of tread is nearly bald.
They are well known for recommending un-necessary work.
I avoid Kwik Fit, Halfords Autocentres, and National Tyres like the plague.
They have all 'tried it on' with me in the past.
They have all failed miserably.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:43 pm
cavalier1990 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:23 am Guy in kwik fit said my tyres were on their last legs - to me 3mm is still another 60k miles :D - but anyway decided to spend some sheckles and new boots for it.
If they are like my local Kwik Fit, they would tell you that a tyre with 7mm of tread is nearly bald.
They are well known for recommending un-necessary work.
I avoid Kwik Fit, Halfords Autocentres, and National Tyres like the plague.
They have all 'tried it on' with me in the past.
They have all failed miserably.
He did say the tracking wouldn't work with the old tyres, which doesn't make sense as the tracking is purely a mechanical adjustment. To be fair I do always use part worns and the tyres are a bit low. I got a nice new pair of michelins anyway so I'm not getting new part worns half way through winter or anything like that. Should last quite a long time. The guy I dealt with last time was a lot more easy going and sympathetic of older cars, but this guy was just a bit of a bookworm, a corporate salesman I felt!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Had to re-order uniroyals as the ones I ordered were 185s not 195s doh! I know they would still have fitted but it would have sent me into an OCD pit of despair! Uniroyal are supposed to be "the rain experts" so that'll do nicely here!

Got the tyres fittled today, so I need to take it for tracking soon. You're probably asking why not get tracking done there and then, well I had the wheels off the car and took them down to get changed, I don't trust anyone to jack any of my cars now, as they keep jacking it on that bit, while it will support the weight they tend to get damaged, and after all it's not really supposed to be jacked there. When they guy done my omega tyres, after me explicitly telling him not to jack there but on the sill section, he proceeded to jack it there and put a big dent in the underside :scratch

Going to have a look at this central locking today see if I can at least get the rear doors unlocked as it's getting messy in there, and I can barely get my frame through between the front seat with it rolled right forward and the backrest twirled forward to window licker mode!