Jay's Mental Cav V6

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
teamSlinky

Jay's Mental Cav V6

Post by teamSlinky »

Hi guys,

I was showing a friend of mine some pic of my mates Cavalier earlier today and he told me that i simply had to post them up on here for you all to see. The car belongs (as far as I'm aware it still does) to a friend of mine and i did a feature for it for my old modified car club a while back.

Its been heavily featured in modified cars mags as well as brief apperances on TV, that said you'll see why when i post the pictures. It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea thats for sure but the impact it delivers is outstanding, especially when you see it parked up at a show. The attention to detail in the bodywork is very well thought out and i think thats why it did it for me......

You ready? here she is......

Spec
------------------
Bodywork: Fully custom built bodykit comprising of front bumper made from Carlton GSi unit with jap style splitter, Cavalier GSi rear bumper, sideskirts, Evo VI Rear Spoiler and custom built arches. BMW E46 front headlight conversion with custom grille and custom bonnet to fit. BMW E46 Compact rear lights with custom number plate panel to fit. Rear handles removed and smoothed off, rub strips removed, all finished in Trophy Blue.

Engine: 2.5 litre V6 conversion with custom painted orange manifold covers.

Wheels & Tyres: 20" full chrome AXE ap-spike alloy wheels with 235/30/20 tyres all round.

Suspension: Full "Fast-Air" Airbags all round with left, right, up and down movement.

Interior and ICE: Cobra Daytona front bucket seats, Cavalier V6 leather rear seats and door cards all round, Colour coded blue and red console columns, Slimline PS2 mounted in glovebox, 5" screen mounted in dash with relocated headunit in place of central heater vents, 2 x 12" Audiobahn subs, 2 x Audiobahn amps, Audiobahn 1.0 Farad powercap, all finished in black install housing with blue neons.

As i say it's not everyone's cup of tea and i can hear some of you rcrying already in agony over what someone has done to a cavalier but i say a job well done to be honest, its certainly unique and he's thought it all out very well.

It started out life as a 1.8 by the way.

I have more pics but didn't want to overload the post so anyone wanting to see some more i've popped the link below.

Full Photoshoot
teamSlinky

Re: Jay's Mental Cav V6

Post by teamSlinky »

Sorry, forgot to add...

Interior: 'Genuine' Vauxhall mats.
teamSlinky

Post by teamSlinky »

This is what was given to me from the feature, there is far more work done to it than is specified.

Slight Amendment: The seats are Cobra Imola's not Daytonas.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

i really like this car. it's not to my usual taste at all, but i can see so much attention has been paid to the exterior and it looks like its been done really well. love the lighting especially.

not too keen on the interior but interesting to see the omega MID and controls in there at the base!
FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

Now , im a one for subtle mods myself, but my god that is amazing :o
would love to see it in the flesh, as im very impressed at the standard of work :mrgreen:

Why hasnt that been done as a Total Vauxhall feature, would make a nice change from all the boring nova's and VXR's they seem to be plonking in every month :roll:
wullie

Post by wullie »

if my memory serves me right i think that was in total vauxhall on the cover maybe with the title axe murderer or somewhere along those lines i may have it some where but if its the same motor it has fairly changed since then the only reason i think it the same car is the evo spoiler and the big mouth bumper,
oh yeah and get more pics up off it did it used to haveeither kahns or azevs i think they were 18's.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

The bodywork on that is really nice! Don't like the inside at all but being a bodywork man myself i can well appreciate the amount of work gone into that!

The lights look really well done!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

yeah, the back lights work really well, maybe because theyre not too dissimilar in shape from the cav ones, just with variation? don't know what it is but the more i look at the outside of this car the more i like it...
teamSlinky

Post by teamSlinky »

@Wullie, in the words of Roy Walker: "It's a good guess, but your not right"

Well remebered though. It was front covered in Total Vauxhall and featured in Fast Car circa 2005 in its original guise, back then it had the wide mouth bumper and spoiler and the rims were a set of 19" OZ Antares.

The owner Jay then took it back into his workshop and went mental on the exterior on more time, adding the front headlights, the extremely unique bonnet, the custom arches, new custom side skirts, extended the front bumper, grafted the rear lights, extended the rear bumper, fitted the exhausts, the air bags, the 20" rims (plus all the necessary work required to get them to fit) and gave it another lick of paint.

The last time i saw it he had just forked out on an ICE build which i may have some pics of at home and i think his next step was to do the interior again.

I might see if i can track him down and see if it's still about and if so if he has anymore he can add to the thread.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

are those scooby front fogs? they look massive!

so much time must have gone into that exterior...
teamSlinky

Post by teamSlinky »

Not sure, they could well be.

I think he has been very modest on himself in the spec, the amount of time and effort gone in too grafting the shapes and curves around those headlights and same too with getting the bodywork to fit together so well. It's clearly not an off the shelf kit and any one who has tried to fit custom bodykit knows only too well how much of an a*se it can be let alone get it all sitting straight and lining up perfectly.

It's little things like wiring up the Xenon headlamps and stuff that get me, how and how much of a challenge must that have been?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

he's done a tad better than 'mutantcav' did when sticking an omega front end on his cavalier... it kinda ended up looking like a peugeot 306 saloon or something...

teamSlinky

Post by teamSlinky »

It looks a bit like a Renault Safrane at the front.

From that picture the quality of the work looks quite good, its quite a seamless conversion albeit an odd looking one. I've seen many a headlight conversion in my time which are far worse than that, its just a shame the creator didn't pick a more complimentary set of headlights for the shape of the cavalier.
FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

ilovemyelite wrote:he's done a tad better than 'mutantcav' did when sticking an omega front end on his cavalier... it kinda ended up looking like a peugeot 306 saloon or something...

now im not a fan of that, cos as you say it looks like a pug, possibly the worlds worst cars, i speak from past experience :lol:
Squig

Post by Squig »

Oooooh, proper marmite that one... I kinda like it, as said it's been very well executed. If I could change anything it would be to remove the front splitter and smooth the bumper under, then remove the wing. The Omecavagalier is a bit...

:sick
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Its very high standard and over the top like the new VX8. So it wont be to everyones taste but the arches and sils are an amazing job. Well done. But I think to make the car really work you need to make the inside match the outside.

Out side is an early 2000's late 90's MAXPOWER cover cover.

Where as the inside is just really an old cav with bits of the dash sprayed blue. It needs a rethink and to be designed. at the moment it looks kinda like a the inside of a boy racers car that has just got his hands on his grandad's car and has tried to mod it ready for Macdonalds car park on Friday night.

(Could just be me as I dont like body coloured trim, unless its a white or red car.) The blue just clashes with the old cavalier interior. Carbon fibre would have looked better of ally look.
C30XE
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Exterior is stunning, not what id do but the effort that has gone into it will have taken months, to get it to that standard, its def swayed me on having black pillar vinals its all the little touches that make a difference and this car is full of them, very very well executed.

The interior is basically crap compared to the outside,the blue biits the vectra switches and mfd lashed in the centre i hope hes got plans for it (i reckon he has from seeing the outside)
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1875&start=50
something like this is what he needs imho

A really nice car spoiled by a bad interior.
m00k

Post by m00k »

fair enuff modification can be good... and i know i tend to like oem a bit too much but thats a dogs dinner imo... looks a complete mess

Dan will confirm... i'd rather have a rusty sri...
teamSlinky

Post by teamSlinky »

Some cracking comments, thanks for taking the time and checking it out.

As I've said before it's not everyone's cup of tea thats for sure and m00k your not the first and you certainly wont be the last to say what you said, that's what it's all about i guess. You're either a fan it or your not.

I agree with the interior, i said the same myself that the blue doesn't go at all with black interior and carbon fibre or some polished alloy would have been a neater approach but then as i say i think this is his next job, he did the inside originally years ago and has concentrated on the exterior and boot install of late so an updated inside is on the cards.

I somehow think judging by the exterior and some of the common trends of similar builds he'll go one off inside too which might not go down too well in some opinions. I've seen some masterpieces when it comes to one-off interiors but i've also seen shocking ones too.

For example:

This corsa interior is shocking....

where as this interior is in a well known 106 and i personally think in terms of one-offs he has pulled it off...

Sorry, not a very good picture on the pug, ill see if i can find any more.

It'd be good to see which direction he has gone in, if one at all.
teamSlinky

Post by teamSlinky »

Ahhh... here's some more of that pug interior

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

dont like those at all. what is that steering wheel all about? faux-batman haha
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

That works, its simple its well executed and its original.

the steering wheel works well with whats there, on its own its bloody stupid but as a whole with that interior its fine.
1800lsi

Post by 1800lsi »

I like this alot , at first i was like :no but then looking at it must of been shit load work , i really like were the radio replaces the vents , never seen it done before but i think it is a really good idea :cool