humbucker's 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: humbucker's satin red cavalier turbo WIP

Post by humbucker »

turboads wrote:looking good Dan, like ive said before its a really nice tubby, im the same because mine will be off the road tucked away safe in the dry when the tax runs out at the end of november, until about april, Ads
yeah sounds familiar. my v6 is hogging all available garage space at the moment until i can find the time to finish it off for the MOT. once that's done then the turbo will be tucked away in the dry. i will take the opportunity over the winter to strip her down a bit if i can, full service, sump change (the leak isn't bad enough to cause me any great deal of concern just at the moment) locked box, a general tidy where she's getting a bit tired etc. i'm quite lucky 'cos my boiler is located in the garage so it gives the room a good ambient temperature, ideal for car storage, and hopefully quite useful for stopping my fingers dropping off when it's icy outside! :lol:
gsi pie wrote:looking goood buddy. what exhaust is on it? i like the look of the back box
thanks man, it's a full stainless system by mongoose, from the manifold back (no cat)
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

cheers buddy
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Looks rather clean, hope it stays nice and standard
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
planetc

Post by planetc »

humbucker wrote: i'm quite lucky 'cos my boiler is located in the garage so it gives the room a good ambient temperature
My boiler is located in the downstairs toilet, which used to be nice and cosy. I replaced the boiler with an all singing, all dancing high efficiency one and it gives off virtually no heat at all. That heat is due to the inefficiency of the boiler, if you replace it you could buy another car with the money you'd save, lol.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

TurboDan wrote:If i were you i'd do some nice little touches to it just to bring it upto date abit, nothing too much just a few bits here and there. Thats the way i wanted to go with mine. Have you got any more pics of the inside? It does look like its in good nick in there.
Yup, here they are. Gave the car a bit of a hoovering out so took the opportunity to take some interior snaps. Near mint Turbo leather, obligatory ‘Vauxhall’ tailored mats... but no head unit! Will sort one out at some point but otherwise very tidy indeed:

I’ve never really understood why Vauxhall had ‘16V TURBO’ printed on the fascia of the dash clocks on these cars. Did they think that people would forget what it was that they were driving?

Boot carpet could probably benefit from a steam clean at some point:

None of that space saving nonsense here thank you very much!:

Boot floor is in fantastic condition, bit of a wipe around and it will be as good as new (almost!):

Am now awaiting delivery of a few bits and bobs for jobs that I will do on the car in the coming weeks. Service parts, 8v sump and replacement bolts, new badges, headlight trim, a few other odds and sods and that all important 4x4 transfer box locking kit. Tally ho!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Envoy CDX wrote:Looks rather clean, hope it stays nice and standard
yeah that's the intention. a few choice mods are on the cards but nothing to detract from how 'standard' it appears. first thing will be a bloody good service and fluid change all round.
planetc wrote:My boiler is located in the downstairs toilet, which used to be nice and cosy. I replaced the boiler with an all singing, all dancing high efficiency one and it gives off virtually no heat at all. That heat is due to the inefficiency of the boiler, if you replace it you could buy another car with the money you'd save, lol.
haha if i even dare mention that to mrs humbucker i think i'll be the one benefitting from the garage temperature as i'll be living in there. permanently.
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

Looks super clean inside... need to get some of those Vauxhall tailored mats too, wonder if Vaux still do them?
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

need more pic :thumb
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Nova_Tek wrote:Looks super clean inside... need to get some of those Vauxhall tailored mats too, wonder if Vaux still do them?
you'll need to find new-old stock from somewhere but there are some floating about. there are two editions though, some for the 4x4 which are a different shape to the front wheel drive mats. i have a new set for my v6 to go in but if you look at the shot of them in my turbo you'll notice the 'cutout' in the front passengers mat where the transmission tunnel sticks out.
steven77 wrote:need more pic :thumb
hold tight, more to follow!
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

just relised your looking for vaUxhall matts i just been offerd set for 25 pounds can get you pic of them if you want

ps have you heard about the burgandy turbo cavalier found in a barn way down south and its not been on net or any sites as been off road for years :thumb meant to be in mint condtion
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

yes ive seen the cavy turbo barn find a boy on my facebook have bought it

hes into his cavys bigtime

it need paint needly solid underneath tho

hes well happy with it

(sorry to go off topic :thumb )
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Nova_Tek

Post by Nova_Tek »

humbucker wrote:
Nova_Tek wrote:Looks super clean inside... need to get some of those Vauxhall tailored mats too, wonder if Vaux still do them?
you'll need to find new-old stock from somewhere but there are some floating about. there are two editions though, some for the 4x4 which are a different shape to the front wheel drive mats. i have a new set for my v6 to go in but if you look at the shot of them in my turbo you'll notice the 'cutout' in the front passengers mat where the transmission tunnel sticks out.
Know the parts number for the FWD matts?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Nova_Tek wrote:Know the parts number for the FWD mats?
I will have a look and drop you a line with the p/n :)
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Small update. Had some time spare before a pal came over on Sunday so set about a detango of my rear lights so that the indicators match the appearance of the reversing light as well as the clear tint of the Cavalier Turbo boot panel reflector.

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

They look a million times better now. Will get some 'before and after' shots when I've put them on the car, hopefully a bit later today. In case you're interested in doing the same I wrote a guide which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6953
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

looking good buddy :thumb
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

And now, a history lesson!

After a fairly low mileage and uneventful life in the hands of four previous owners, my Turbo was tucked up in dry storage somewhere in deepest darkest Saahf Laahndaahn. In seven years the new owner did an approximate 5k miles and in this time decided to SORN the old girl. This long period of dry storage is surely the reason the chassis is in such amazingly solid condition (touch wood!).

After buying and replacing parts ready for its release back into the wild (all OE parts including clutch, cambelt, waterpump, donut rubbers, as well as a Regal downpipe, Koni adjustable shocks, Avo lowering springs and a Scorpion full exhaust) it seems there was a change of heart and the car was advertised for sale. The car’s exterior wasn’t in the best condition though with a surprising amount of lacquer peel and parking dents caused by its previous owner(s). To add to this, the driver’s door was missing the Turbo trim panel, the door itself was the wrong colour, and the front bumper was hanging on for dear life! Keen to find a donor car for his own Cavalier Turbo project, our very own BennyMac36 bought the car to use as a breaker in the summer of 2010.

After the long trip home from London to Scotland (hauling the equivalent of a GM parts warehouse full of spares behind him) Benny decided to replace the car’s handbrake cable. It was while he was working under the car that he was amazed at just how solid she was underneath, despite the impression given by her ropey paintwork! With this in mind, plans to break the car were shelved and it was used as Benny’s runabout for a few months. Some pics after he got the car home:

The ever enterprising Benny had a cunning plan. Some shiny wheels! Nobody will notice the dodgy paintwork then! Mwahaha!

(well, providing they don’t go round to the driver’s side hehe!)

Benny drove the car to Billing and back in the weeks that followed and it featured in the owner’s club Rolling Road day where it made bang on 205bhp. Not bad for a stock setup which is supposed to have left the factory with only 204 almost twenty years ago!

So the drivers door was sorted but a few months after the initial run ‘north of the border’ it was time to part company. The car, now well known in the owners club and on some OE Turbo alloys, was bought by club members Heath & TurboNic who set about righting a few wrongs:

The car wasn’t running quite right, and so after initial investigation a strip down and rebuild was in order for the head. Cue replacement lifters, valves, skim and pressure test, metal head gasket, reworked helicoils and a TX Autosport alloy radiator. The engine is now ridiculously quiet, no tapping whatsoever (even from cold) and she really purrs.

Then after some minor repair work to a spot of rust on the rear panel it was time for some prep and a long overdue visit to the bodyshop!

I think this qualifies as air conditioning:

Off to the paintshop!

By this time some 17” Dare alloys had made their way onto the car (which are currently for sale if you’re interested):

Lacquer peel? What lacquer peel?!

Reassembly begins:

By now the car featured a Renault Laguna front splitter, some blue Samco / Roose Motorsport silicone hoses, all door locks and handles replaced with Vectra B items, a nifty DVD player, Mongoose decat stainless exhaust system, repositioned boot badges, a near mint replacement Turbo leather interior, Magnecor leads etc etc... all set for another trip to Billing! Hoorah!

...and that’s pretty much where the history lesson ends. I had been casually looking for a Turbo for some time and this one became available, ticked all the right boxes and had the vote of confidence from everyone in the owner’s club who knew her. So after a horrid three and a half hour train journey up to Stoke-On-Trent I was driving the car home!

She’s more or less the best example I could have wished for, but like all second hand motors she’s not without her niggles/teething problems. I’ll be picking up bits in order to work on her and pick up where others have left off in the coming weeks (expect to see some progress in the not-too-distant). I’ll be keeping her as near to standard as I can while I play with my V6 project.

Here’s some more snaps taken when I’d got the car home:

Looking back at the pics at the beginning of this project thread it’s amazing how small the tyres look compared to the new ones that I’ve fitted (the new ones being the correct size). Anyway, there you have it! A brief history of my Turbo! Thanks to Benny and Nicci for the pics.

On with the show... 8-)
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

great pics always nice finding out the history of your car :thumb

jealous much...... hell yes :lol:
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Great pics/history there, Can't wait to see it one day at a show :D
GLC

Post by GLC »

Just had a read through an agree its nice to know a bit about a cars history an great to see a turbo beening kept on the road same as any cav of course :) rather than being broke up like so many have. Looking forward to see more on this an your V6.
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

nice read up

BUT

we need lot more pic take it out a drive be4 the snow comes :thumb
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

Check the oil pressure switch before replacing the sump gasket. It gives the impression of a sump gasket leak.
I like the respary did cost cause mines needing done soon
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Nice respray. Can't wait for mind to be done!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

gsi pie wrote:great pics always nice finding out the history of your car :thumb jealous much...... hell yes :lol:
i've been lucky in that respect because the car has been in the ownership of members of the owners club for the past few years so its recent history was fairly easy to track down. i've managed the same with my other cars too, although that was pretty easy as my v6 cavalier and my irmscher omega have only had one other owner from new! with the astra it only had 20k miles on it so no real history to speak of anyway and the other omegas i've owned for the past eight years or so anyway.
TurboDan wrote:Great pics/history there, Can't wait to see it one day at a show :D
thanks dan! must be something about the name... if you're called dan and a member on cavmk3oc.com it's now mandatory to own a satin red turbo. we'd better email squig... :lol: hopefully the car will make an appearance at a show next summer, who knows.
GLC wrote:Just had a read through an agree its nice to know a bit about a cars history an great to see a turbo being kept on the road, same as any cav of course :) rather than being broke up like so many have. Looking forward to see more on this an your V6.
thanks pal, i'm looking forward to getting stuck in, and yes i'm in agreement with you, it is good to see them being kept and cared for when they're in such good condition. it's such a shame to see so many broken for parts and sold off in bits, even though i appreciate the financial sense in doing so sometimes.
steven77 wrote:nice read up BUT we need lot more pic take it out a drive be4 the snow comes :thumb
note to self: go out in the snow and take pics for steven :lol: thanks pal :)
bigmitch wrote:Check the oil pressure switch before replacing the sump gasket. It gives the impression of a sump gasket leak. I like the respary did cost cause mines needing done soon
even if the oil pressure switch is leaking there is no doubt that my sump gasket is weeping. i have the 8v gasket with baffle waiting in the wings so that will be making an appearance on the car soon :) yes the respray seems to be a good job, albeit the outside of the car. one day i'll have the engine bay etc done too. the respray was done prior to me getting hold of the car and i think the painter was a relative of the previous owner so mates rates were the order of the day.
lowrider dave wrote:Nice respray. Can't wait for mind to be done!
cheers dave, looking forward to seeing yours. shiny cavs for the win! :)
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Awesome mate

This has got to be one of the best ever threads with the history of the car that your able to post as well as your own progress!!! Looking forward to more posts containing progress updates :thumb :thumb
[center]Image
[/center]
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Well a bit random and a bit unexpected, but tonight it has been agreed that Practical Classics magazine are going to be doing a full feature shoot on the car... this Saturday! So I now need to pull my finger out in the stupidly little amount of time I actually have available to me between now and then to sort a few bits on the car out. Wish me luck!

:shock: