Squig's CDX v6; WIP

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
TurboDan

Re: Squig's CDX v6; WIP

Post by TurboDan »

Vectra V6 Brakes are a complete waste of time, yours near enough identical!

If you want better fronts then get 308's
Squig

Post by Squig »

The vec callipers are only being considered as the friction area of the pad is much larger and the piston is near enough the same size on both callipers, and massively cheaper than acquiring 308's unless you know something I don't
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Squig wrote:The vec callipers are only being considered as the friction area of the pad is much larger and the piston is near enough the same size on both callipers, and massively cheaper than acquiring 308's unless you know something I don't
Last time I checked, the brackets are no longer sold by Vauxhall and LMF want £125 for the pair, the Discs are the same as a Merc or BMW from memory though.

However, going from the 256 setup to the 288 Vectra setup I now have, they are more progressive, but will bring you to a prompt halt when required. :lol:
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Squig

Post by Squig »

added remote central locking (thanks to Gaz... I wanted to but he got there first :lol: ), the LPG kit I was looking at turned out to be a 4 pot kit so no dice there.

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Squig wrote:added remote central locking (thanks to Gaz... I wanted to but he got there first :lol: ), the LPG kit I was looking at turned out to be a 4 pot kit so no dice there.
Good news on the locking kit, blowback on the LPG :( better luck next time :D
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

i fitted it while you were having a fag, did the leak fix work or not?
Squig

Post by Squig »

Gaz wrote:i fitted it while you were having a fag, did the leak fix work or not?
It's not rained properly since... or at least I've not driven in it

Squig

Post by Squig »

yup the fix has worked

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

cant argue with a freebie
Squig

Post by Squig »

A little update; Since I last updated this thread the Cav has spend some time off the road (a month or 2) with a blown rad... unfortunately it would appear that (once I could afford a new one) that no one is making the cav v6 rad any more, so I started trawling to find a replacement.

Firstly GSF said they had one which according to their systems and internet said it was for the C25XE however appears to be for a C20XE, so that was a no, then a further 2 different suppliers stated the v6 rad was discontinued and had not been replaced. So I called Mac Rads (funnily enough based in Macclesfield...) and they quoted me over £250 for a complete recore assuming the plastic end caps weren't shot, which they weren't, so I bit the bullet, sent them the old rad and prepared to part with a large lump of cash.

A week later and having not hear from them I called and asked for the latest only to be told they'd called several times since they'd done it on Monday and left messages... bugger. I now know 2 things; 1. I need to give people the correct number to call me back on, and 2. Macc Rads are very good at their job. I didn't get a like-for-like recoring, oh no... I got a modern recore, and by that I mean they changed the core for an increased capacity version so my radiator is more efficient.

A day that started to go badly at 9am, completely turned around by 12:30 and I'm happy now... pictures will follow once Emma gets back with her phone.

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

excellent, glad to hear you're getting an improved unit. classic mistake re the phone number tho hehe
Squig

Post by Squig »

I know... what a tit I am.
just have to fit it tomorrow, put some air in one of the tyres which is flat due to a slow leak charge the battery and top up with the correct water/anti freeze ratio and bob down to the garage to check the rear bushes to find the sloppiness then that's next while I can.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Excellent, be nice to see the old girl back on the road.... but I won't try to keep up this time - ha ha

Regarding phone numbers - yup we have all done that,
my last time was yesterday ...

Gave the MOT'ing garage the wrong number... he should have known it though, as he has known me since 1994... :scratch
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

so new pic of car :scratch :scratch :scratch
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

I have spent some of last night and some of today bit by bit reading your thread and it makes for a very very interesting read

Love the OEM mod's that's the route I'm going with and really appreciate all the hard work that's gone into this cav very very nice motor squig :cool :thumb

Love this colour too :D do you mind if I ask what you've used to fill the gap in your grill? And if you still have the rcl kit fitted?
[center]Image
[/center]
Squig

Post by Squig »

The grill was an aftermarket german ebay find... and the RCL kit went to be replaced with a vectra RCL, much better idea.

Squig

Post by Squig »

Squig wrote:The grill was an aftermarket german ebay find... and the RCL kit went to be replaced with a vectra RCL, much better idea.
Thanks for all the comments people... no pics yet because nothing has happened. In all the faffing I've lost my temp sensor from the rad, so I can't fit the new rad until I replace or locate the temp sensor.

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Squig wrote: A week later and having not hear from them I called and asked for the latest only to be told they'd called several times since they'd done it on Monday and left messages... bugger. I now know 2 things; 1. I need to give people the correct number to call me back on, and 2. Macc Rads are very good at their job. I didn't get a like-for-like recoring, oh no... I got a modern recore, and by that I mean they changed the core for an increased capacity version so my radiator is more efficient.
Priceless! and shame on you not knowing your own number :no :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Is there any info on the site regarding this I like the idea of not having an extra key fob I hate having lots of keys in a bunch lol :) :p
[center]Image
[/center]
soton

Post by soton »

Nice car, puts mine to shame.... *gives car a dirty look* :) :)
Proud owner of a red 1992 Cavalier "Colorado"

Pics of my Cav
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

I've got a temp sensor, pretty sure its a 3 pin one which should be the one you want.
Squig

Post by Squig »

TurboDan wrote:I've got a temp sensor, pretty sure its a 3 pin one which should be the one you want.
Text sent! cheers mate...

As promised; Pictures... not fitted but nevertheless.

Squig

Post by Squig »

jimmy wrote:Is there any info on the site regarding this I like the idea of not having an extra key fob I hate having lots of keys in a bunch lol :) :p
Yes mate should be a how2

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

mmmmmnn shiny rad goodness!
planetc

Post by planetc »

:geek: SHINY
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"