humbucker's 1993 Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo 4x4

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
planetc

Re: humbucker's satin red cavalier turbo WIP

Post by planetc »

:thumb :cheers all good publicity
humbucker wrote:Well a bit random, a bit of a surprise and a bit unexpected, but tonight it has been agreed that Practical Classics magazine are going to be doing a full feature shoot on the car... this Saturday! So I now need to pull my finger out in the stupidly little amount of time I actually have available to me between now and then to sort a few bits on the car out. Wish me luck!

:shock:
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

congrats on the mag :thumb
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Squig

Post by Squig »

Congrats on the feature fella, take it its for next month?
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Well done on the feature - keep us updated so we can get our hands on it!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

humbucker wrote:Well a bit random and a bit unexpected, but tonight it has been agreed that Practical Classics magazine are going to be doing a full feature shoot on the car... this Saturday! So I now need to pull my finger out in the stupidly little amount of time I actually have available to me between now and then to sort a few bits on the car out. Wish me luck!

:shock:
good luck hopefully rain stops for you soon :thumb :thumb :cool
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

cheers guys.
bigmitch

Post by bigmitch »

Respect to the lad for getting the best part of 500bhp thought the front wheels on the astra coupe
didn't realise you wrote about it bud
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

bigmitch wrote:Respect to the lad for getting the best part of 500bhp thought the front wheels on the astra coupe, didn't realise you wrote about it bud
yep, blame me hehehe! he should have nearer 540bhp now as he had a later block with oil squirters and strengthened crank to drop in. believe it or not he was limiting power at 483bhp so that he didn't wreck what was in there but there's room for much more power.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Well a bit more info for you regarding Saturday's Practical Classics shoot; it's the cover feature and the theme of the mag is affordable turbocharged vehicles. There's my Cavalier Turbo and three or four other motors to look at, each providing a different flavour for your turbocharged requirements. I think there's going to be an MR2, a Supra, and a TransAm as well as mine. An interesting mix! The article will provide a profile on each car and then an overview of them all (although a bit odd if it's based on comparisons) and is an opportunity to get some 'fresh metal' involved in the mag. We're going to be ducking and diving around a windfarm; the photos of turbines of the windfarm I guess will provide the perfect metaphor for the article. Nifty idea. It should make for some impressive photos so I'll post some up when I get 'em back from the snapper.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it and should be a good opportunity to namecheck the club in the magazine :p . I've booked Friday off work to do a mini blitz of the car prior to heading over on Saturday so I'm a little up against the clock but fingers crossed everything will work out OK.
planetc

Post by planetc »

humbucker wrote:We're going to be ducking and diving around a windfarm
which one? there's a big one not far from here?
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

I dint think the next issue was out til the 18th dec?

I'm jealous of that shoot damnit! Good on ya! I've only brought that magazine once, and it it happened to have a feature on 90's hatch cars, I can remember a golf being there, alongside.. A 16v astra gte!! Made a good read in the hotel one time on a mini break!

Guess I'll be buying another issue lol they are gradually pulling in a new customer :thumb
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

planetc wrote:
humbucker wrote:We're going to be ducking and diving around a windfarm
which one? there's a big one not far from here?
Burton Latimer. It was supposed to be in Kent but three of the motors were from Cambridgeshire so it was shifted to somewhere nearer our neck o' th' woods.

Anyway, 24 hours out of 36 spent cleaning, washing, polishing and waxing the car. Turned up to magazine shoot to find the location a mudbath. Bah.

Will update with a few snaps tomorrow. Just got home. Despite being cold and tired it was a good day!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

So a manic few days to say the least; earlier in the week, Practical Classics magazine made contact with a few owners clubs looking for cars to feature for a forthcoming issue. The theme of the article will be ‘Tight Budget Turbos’ and as the name suggests it will focus on a number of different cars that readers might be interested in purchasing if they have a few quid burning a hole in their pocket and are looking for some turbocharged fun. Fun that also happens to be practical. And classic. Crucially, each car had to be standard (or as close to unmodified as possible). This wasn’t as easy as it sounds, especially when they approached the MR2 Owners Club who virtually laughed them off of the internet. With a resounding “good luck” ringing in their ears the Practical Classics boys continued their search.

Having narrowed down their lineup of potential feature cars to just five, I’m pleased to report that the Cavalier Turbo had made the shortlist. I had a good chat with Ross from Practical Classics and before you could say “transfer box? what transfer box?” he was forwarding over details for the shoot. It was all a bit short notice as the meet was taking place on Saturday just a few days after our telephone conversation, so I booked a day out of the office for the Friday and started to work on a plan of action.

Now charged with the daunting task of getting my Turbo in shape for a magazine feature I realised that I was going to have to get the V6 out of the garage so that I could wheel the Turbo in for its makeover. Notwithstanding the fact that the V6 was on axle stands and with no brakes, there was the small matter of fitting the new exhaust! A fun filled few hours followed where I lay on the floor cursing a great deal, but out she rolled (if a little dusty and a little lacking in the stopping distance department!). Work will resume on this car later.

Not a happy bunny:

Having got the Turbo in the garage it was ‘mission accomplished’ for one night, however, the following evening saw me dust off the AutoGlym and start on the interior. This ended up being a five hour job. Quite aside from the deep clean and moisture restoration that I forced upon the unsuspecting leather, there was a good eighteen years worth of grubby paw prints to contend with. It’s not until you start wiping down this stuff that you realise just how mucky your car is! The windows, carpets, mats, head lining, pillars, sunvisors and grab handles were all given a long overdue scrub once the leather had been treated and then it was time for some shuteye.

A couple of snaps after the event:

Fitted that all important tax disc holder hehe:

It was now the day before shoot and work on the car resumed at 8am sharp. I finished off the interior (yes there was still more to do) and fit the headunit out of the V6 as I didn’t want there to be a gaping hole in the dashboard for the photographer to include when the feature goes to print! I then turned my attention to the exterior of the car.

Having a lovely gleaming Cavalier Turbo complete with its sparkly polished new-ish paint was always going to be let down by the badges on the rear end. These were showing their age and had lost the silver lettering, instead showing a dull black. With the assistance of Mrs Humbucker’s hairdryer and some tried and tested advice from the chaps at http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com these were removed to make way for some brand new badges. I also managed to source a brand new front grille badge as well as those for the bootlid:

Old:

New:

Bootlid debadged:

Having sorted that it was time to attack the exterior with every shampoo, conditioner, polish, wax, glass, bumper and wheel treatment known to man. All in all I started at 8am and finished at 1am the following morning. This was a megaclean. Every bit of the car got blitzed. Even bits of the car that didn’t even know they existed got blitzed! I didn’t take many pics to be honest as I was working flat out and didn’t really stop unless I was waiting for some polish or another to dry. Or the kettle. Besides, I’m sure you don’t want to see the car in the various stages of being cleaned. Oh, you do? Well these two snaps are just for you then hehe:

The recently detango’d rear lights in place:

The rear lights are a massive improvement, and it’s amazing how a new set of lights can freshen up either end of the car. One light in particular that needed some attention was the rear number plate lamp. With age it’s gone all yellowy. I ordered a new one but what arrived was just the bulb holder. Thinking the part must have come as two separate pieces I then ordered what I thought was the lens, which ended up being the complete unit. That’ll teach me for trusting a ‘useful’ part number guide online! Anyway, the new rear license plate assembly was fitted and it makes a big difference. The light is bright white too!

Let me know if you need one of these as it is now surplus to requirements:

Apparently I’ve ordered the last two of these at the factory and “they won’t be getting any more in” so you have my apologies if you’re now having difficulty tracking one down! :

I then turned my attention to the engine bay. It is in need of much more of a clean than I had time to give it but I did what I could in the time available. It is caked in a layer of crud so I got shot of as much of it as I could and will attack the rest at a later date.

The engine bay also features a mix of blue and red silicone hoses, Samco and Roose respectively. I’m going to replace all blues and blacks with red Roose hoses so started with the AFM to turbo pipe:

Much better. Will get the cam cover and timing belt cover sprayed nice and silver in the not too distant. In the meantime I threw a battery jacket on and took a quick snap of a much cleaner looking lump. I’d now been at it for 17 hours straight and decided to call it a night:

The next morning I had a few hours spare before I needed to be at the shoot so I darted out into the garage and finished off some engine bay bits and bobs. I was also going to fit the new boot badges but disaster struck. I had the wrong Griffin badge for the spoiler! The one listed on the ever-so-useful parts guide was for a non-spoilered Cavalier. Arrgh! I had to reluctantly refit the grotty old badge in the hope that it would go unnoticed.

Having given the wheels and tyres a final going over I tried to wheel the car out of the garage so that I could get ready to leave but the battery was flat. I couldn’t believe it! I’d spent a total of 24 out of 36 hours on the car and it didn’t look like I was going anywhere! Thankfully the V6 battery wasn’t quite dead so I robbed that and started the ol’ girl up.

The pics don’t really do it justice but she didn’t turn out too shabby. Not too shabby at all!

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Throwing all my cleaning products into the back of the car turned out to be a shrewd move. Having spent 24 hours cleaning the car I arrived at the shoot and was led down a dirt track into a mudbath. Hoorah!

I was able to wipe the crap off of the outside of the car but the interior proved a little more tricky. Anyway, as soon as we came to a halt I got out the cloths and started cleaning the mud off!

The location was a wind farm at Burton Latimer in Northamptonshire and the turbines for the windfarm were the perfect backdrop for a fleet of turbocharged cars. The cars in attendance were my Cavalier Turbo, a Fiat Uno Turbo, a Mk3 Supra Turbo and a bonkers Citroen CX Gti Turbo 2 complete with a humungous louvered full rear windscreen spoiler. A bit of an odd mix of motors but I guess that was the point. There was also supposed to be an MR2 and a turbocharged TransAm but the latter wasn’t available in time and there didn’t appear to be an unmodified MR2 on the road at the time of the shoot so it ended up being just the four cars.

I only took a few pics on the day as the light faded fairly rapidly and most of the shots were taken at night with us driving down the dual carriageway in hot pursuit of one another. They’re going to make great ‘action shots’ so I look forward to getting the DVD of images and popping a pic or two up here.

It was a great day and the photographer took some amazing snaps which I can’t wait to get hold of. The feature (and cars) should be on the front cover of Practical Classics at some point in the first quarter of the new year. I think it’s a six page feature so it should have plenty of room for the detail on each car, especially as so many photos were taken inside, outside and under the bonnet. It wasn’t until I looked back at the pics that I noticed that my 18 year old Cavalier Turbo was the newest car there!

Got back late Saturday night and hit the sack. First thing Sunday I went out and washed the car again(!), this time just to release it of all the cak that had built up during the shoot and on the way home. The Meguiars Techwax stuff that the kind folk down at Total Vauxhall had sent me a little while back made it easy enough to wipe clean, but that didn’t stop me from spending another three hours out there.

Beads mutafukaz!

Dried the car down and put her back in the garage where she will now be tucked away for the winter. I've got a list of jobs to do in the coming weeks so will crack on with those during the cold snap. Will report back soon.
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

great update buddy :thumb

love this pic

Image :cool
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
planetc

Post by planetc »

Looks great, reminds me of the one I had for the weekend back in the day. The Kent windfarm has a lot more turbines, about 15. It's very photogenic and would have been a bigger impact than the three shown here.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Proper job!! Great write up and insane time spent cleaning the old girl up - she looks amazing. Tempted by the rear reg lamp, but my lens is also the problem not to mention the plastic that looks more grey than black :)
Looking forwards to seeing some more pics.

Q: What cleaner did you use on the leather seats? And what exhaust rear box do you have?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Second that last question!

What cleaner and what treatments?

I've always used auto glym leather cleaner and leather treatment stuff, the treatment stuff seems to have preserved the seats with a twice yearly routine but tbh the cleaner is pretty pants.

I've been advised to use regular saddle soap but yet to try it...
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

Beautiful.....Absolutley Beautiful Car!!!!!
" LS was MORE!! "
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Looks absolutely mint! Some great pics there too, interior looks really nice.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

gsi pie wrote:great update buddy :thumb love this pic

Cheers Pie! Yes that pic came out quite well, although the photographer's shots were awesome from what I saw on the screen of his digital camera. I'll be sure to post one or two up when they arrive.
planetc wrote:Looks great, reminds me of the one I had for the weekend back in the day. The Kent windfarm has a lot more turbines, about 15. It's very photogenic and would have been a bigger impact than the three shown here.
This windfarm did have more than three turbines, although there are only three in my picture. I think there were about ten. We changed location for the detail shots to the Wold Road area at the top of the map. The photos I've posted here were taken in the clearing towards the bottom of the screenshot below. As TeamSlinky or Maracus will tell you, we're spoiled for choice for windfarms in our neck o' th' woods, there are loads of them but I guess this location was a good middle ground for the drivers, photographer and the guy from the mag who had come up from Kent. I think the original location WAS supposed to be the windfarm you mention, but due to all four drivers being from the same area(ish) it was changed at the last minute.

lowrider dave wrote:Proper job!! Great write up and insane time spent cleaning the old girl up - she looks amazing. Tempted by the rear reg lamp, but my lens is also the problem not to mention the plastic that looks more grey than black :) Looking forwards to seeing some more pics. Q: What cleaner did you use on the leather seats? And what exhaust rear box do you have?
Maracus wrote:Second that last question!
I used AutoGlym Leather Cleaner and AutoGlym Leather Cream Balm for cleaning and moisturising etc. It's pretty good stuff, Ph neutral too, although I will be investing in a full on leather care and colouring kit in the new year to revitalise the other car interiors as they're not in great shape. Exhaust is decat stainless Mongoose system from manifold back.
cavboy180 wrote:Beautiful.....Absolutley Beautiful Car!!!!!
Thanks pal! Now do the decent thing and withdraw yours from sale! :lol:
TurboDan wrote:Looks absolutely mint! Some great pics there too, interior looks really nice.
Cheers Dan, yes the interior is in excellent condition and now uber-clean too :)
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

so boss any updates or fresh snow pic with turbo :thumb
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

hehe no i'm afraid not pal; the car is in the warm under cover until the sun comes out! i might take her out to the vboa parts jumble, but can't see much happening between now and then. i've got a load of parts in for jobs that i need to do and some replacement bits where i'm unhappy with what's on the car, it's just a matter of finding the time. there's no rush though, i'll get on to it soon enough. in the meantime she'll be tucked away and come out for some summer fun :)

the v6 is looking a bit chilly though...!

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I nearly forgot, but the Practical Classics magazine featuring my Cavalier Turbo should be out in the coming couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing the feature and finally getting my hands on the photographs from the shoot :)
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

lol cavalier turbos are falling me round fife the now and its getting rathing anoying seen 4 in last few week