My Cav turbo's progress thread

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Gaz

Re: My new cav turbo's progress thread

Post by Gaz »

You were doing that when i left!
Kev_G

Post by Kev_G »

stunning love the work with the gauge and mk3 astra trip computer
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Cavs booked in for MOT on saturday at 1.00pm!
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

TurboDan wrote:Cavs booked in for MOT on saturday at 1.00pm!
Don't see there being any issues :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

I haven't updated this in a looooooong time so i figured i better had do it. I've been driving it about for awhile now and its been great with no real problems. But i have now got a new job which involves me getting a company car and so the cav is now a second car which means i get to play with it more and it doesn't matter if its not finished by the end of the day :D

And so i started to err play lol....

I fitted cruise control and a Variable intermittent wiper stalk with MFD buttons, i don't have any pics of this but it will get some.

I also fitted my cupholders in the back which i did put a post up about but i'll add it in here too. These are from a vectra C:

I also fitted some new speakers in the back which again i haven't got any pics of but they weren't anything amazing but they do sound better than the old ones and they were a direct replacement too.

So then i got hold of some Locking rings for my transfer box:

I started to dismantle the front end to get the transfer box off and well things have started spiraling from there! I'm now replaceing all the bushes etc.. on the front end and also playing with the turbo aswell 8-)
This is how it looks at the moment:

I've been buying some bits to make a start on it.

Got a bargain wishbone off ebay for £10 brand new and its the stronger one with the complete rubber bush in the back:

Also got some Track rod ends again for a bargain of £10 off ebay:

I stripped the drivers side suspension off completely and got the track rod end off and free'd up the adjuster:

Also noticed on one of the front shocks that it is ever so slightly bent when turned round, i mean you can hardly notice it but its there and so not sure wether to find some more or just stick with them for now as they are koni adjustables and so don't really want to just bin them and cant find any cheap replacements on ebay at the moment:

As for the turbo, well it had started to smoke abit and so i had decided that i wanted a bigger turbo anyway in the future so figured i may aswell try and do it now while i'm at it, so i started looking. Now i did actually win a T34 turbo and manifold and downpipe off ebay but when i got it home i realised that the turbo was actually knackered and so i took it back and got a full refund (which was quite lucky really). So i carried on looking and found a nice Garrett T28 turbo off a Nissan 200sx s14. Now it isn't going to blow the roof off or anything like that but it should be able to run a healthy 300bhp all day long with no problems and maybe a little more.

I bought a second hand Nissan 200sx SpecT Tubular Manifold off ebay which turned out to be in really good condition and really well made. Allot of them can crack as they have no support but this one has a built in support bracket underneath that should work well.

Thats as far as i've got so far, i'll need to cut the 200sx flange off the manifold and weld a C20LET/C20XE flange which i'm in the process of finding now. Also looking out for the drivers side wishbone on ebay for the right price. Hopefully i'll get some more done this weekend and so i'll get some more pics up.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

I like the cup holders in the back - is that just a whole rear seat from a Vectra C then?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

No its still the cavs original seat just with the cupholders fitted in. Have a search threw my threads and u'l find a how to thread i did.
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

looking goood buddy :thumb

locking the txb is a nice job :lol:

cemex got a full set of konis for sale on ctoc to
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Ads

Post by Ads »

exellent work Dan, love the new turbo and manifold, thinking along the same lines for mine, bet them track rod end ajusters took some freeing, mine were really hard to get free. Ads
jazzfunkster

Post by jazzfunkster »

The seats really lift the interior and cupholders are a nice touch, car is looking great and coming on a treat. :thumb
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Just a few more pics of bits i've done, heres a few of the cruise control and where i mounted it, there isn't much room in the turbo engine bay so i had to use what i had.

The usual omega/vectra stalk:

A pic of the engine bay so you can see how the cable runs, fits really well and actually looks quite original where it is i thought:

And a close up of the motor and its mount i made up, its sitting where the Aircon usually sits but as i'm not using it i don't need it there so put the motor here instead, it could do with abit more tidying but it will do for now:

I can't remember if i've allready put this up or not but i also fitted a Parrot Bluetooth kit that works threw the radio, done this awhile ago now but heres some pics, i fitted the screen in the ashtray so it folds away hidden when not in use:

Fitted the microphone into the interior light where a microphone would of been originally in an omega:

It works good and its quite handy sometimes, i didn't want it stuck to my dashboard though so had to hide it.

Also fitted the Variable wiper stalk too with MFD buttons on:

I made a start on the manifold, chopped the flange off it and also chopped the flange off a C20XE manifold that i got off my mate, just need to get it welded on now, Can't decide wether to weld it myself or give it someone to do for me:

The rain stopped play this weekend but will try and get more done this week
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Excuse the shit quality pictures!
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

looking good dude :thumb
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
planetc

Post by planetc »

TurboDan wrote: i fitted the screen in the ashtray so it folds away hidden when not in use:
think I'd suffer from smouldering plastic smells.....really must get my ass in gear and stop smoking.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Did you use omega cruise setup? My turbo is an aircon model so would need to find alternative placement. Looks good in yours tho, factory finish.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Yeah thats the V6 omega setup.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Excellent work Dan!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Managed to get a few hours on it today after work and found some more broken bits lol

I stripped the passenger side leg off the car and then stripped that down.

The brake disc on one of the legs is completelty jammed on! I have hit it many times with the hammer and it won't budge so not sure how to get that off yet but it has to come off one way or another. The other one just fell off easily. The ABS sensor mount is knackered and so i need a new one of them now too.

I started to strip the shocks out of the leg and i didn't think i'd be able to undo the big nut with this but when it came off unbelieveably easy with this thats when i knew there'd be something wrong:

And thats a small pair of stilsons! :o So clearly they werent on anywhere near tight enough. So carried on but as i undid the nut i noticed some oil which i thought was abit odd, then i took the nut out and started to pull the strut out to find it was full of oil!

Now i'm no expert but i would say these are pretty knackered now lol Shame really as there Koni adjustables and would of liked to keep them but never mind, no wonder it never handled that great.

The other side was just as bad and this side the oil was a kind of blue coulor:

The koni springs are ok though just abit rusty so i think i'll just find some new shocks for it.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

They mite not be knackered as some people put oil in the legs when they fit up rated shocks to help with heat transfer.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Really?
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

What was involved with fitting the cup holders? Can you provide some details?? A pet hate of mine has always been the reliance on passengers for sturdy cup holding ability!!
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

konis are known for leaking always will
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Theres a thread about the cup holders on here somewhere that i put up.

I think i'l stear clear of konis. I'll see what comes up cheap second hand if nothing turns up then i might just splash out on some bistein yellows.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Today i managed to weld my manifold up. First i asked my old boss if i could use the welder at his garage and he said fine, so i went to use that but the gas had ran out so that plan didn't work.

So i walked round the back of there to the engineering shop that we know quite well and asked him if i could use his welder, he said yeah no problem and basically just said help yourself to whatever you need which was handy. So i was given this welder to use:

It is HUGE and strangely enough its model name is classed as a "Compact" :shock: So i got set up and started welding, straight away the welder was awesome, perfect welding and everything worked as it should. I welded 3 of the pipes and then had to tweek the last pipe over in the vice and then weld it in place, which again was sooo much easier having the right tools to play with. Gaz was with me supervising as he'd just finished work. Heres some pics of the finished article, i managed to weld the support bracket back in place too which is nice as this should help allot.

So thanks to gaz for random ideas and patterson(engineer) for letting me use his stuff!

And it hasn't warped the flange at all either as we checked this with a straight edge. The welds are really strong and plenty of it too.
Squig

Post by Squig »

Looking good mate... Patterson's is utterly fantastic for getting random shit made too, they did my crank locking tool as well.
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome