SRi restoration project

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Telegram Sam

Re: SRi restoration project

Post by Telegram Sam »

I'm trying to work out / remember how to use Photobucket which I believe is necessary for the purpose, not being on Facebook myself. I did "join" (?) Twitter a week ago but am still trying to sus out what makes it tick and whether it would work in conjunction with this forum. The pics which Michael Bonello promised to send me do of course show all the gory details of rust where it shouldn't ought to be.
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:I'm trying to work out / remember how to use Photobucket which I believe is necessary for the purpose, not being on Facebook myself. I did "join" (?) Twitter a week ago but am still trying to sus out what makes it tick and whether it would work in conjunction with this forum. The pics which Michael Bonello promised to send me do of course show all the gory details of rust where it shouldn't ought to be.
You will need to upload your pics to Photobucket or similar. Twitter and/or Facebook for image hosting will not work properly as these services are dependent on your social networking profile settings, user host restrictions (e.g. viewing social network content in the workplace) etc. Instructions for Photobucket are here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3253.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

dazzlersri wrote:Any recent pictures after this repair ? Im not on facebook so unable to see that last lot !
You don't need a Facebook profile to view a Facebook page with a privacy setting set to 'visible to public'. You can click the link in the earlier post to view the images.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

You will need to upload your pics to Photobucket or similar. Twitter and/or Facebook for image hosting will not work properly as these services are dependent on your social networking profile settings, user host restrictions (e.g. viewing social network content in the workplace) etc. Instructions for Photobucket are here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3253.[/quote]

Tks, will try this approach in preference to F'Book which I don't really trust.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Small (?) matter of vibration @ 2500 rpm which we think might be the ZF power steering pump. Dunno how easy it is to get replacements if this is confirmed - I think the existing pump came from a scrap yard for £25, over 150 K miles ago so I can't complain. Want to get this fixed before trip to Rustbuster Spalding in < 2 weeks time.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Does the vibration come and go? is it constant at 2500rpm every time?
If it was the puimp, I'd expect it to get worse the faster you went.

Wheels been balanced up lately? / checked for flat spots?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Comes on pretty regularly at around 2500 but I'm not aware of it at higher revs (unless the vibration is covered up by other engine noise, which I doubt). Colin put a "feeler" rod on the pump for a quick check and seems to think that further investigation next week is justified. Otherwise no noticeable wheel balance or flat spot problems to report. Some day the Cav will be 100% problem free ... :-)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Sorted?
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Sorted I believe now that "your" pump is fitted tks.
Humbucker's photobuckets still to follow ..
Some posts I get notifications of, others not - including this one. Weird.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

humbucker wrote: You will need to upload your pics to Photobucket or similar. Twitter and/or Facebook for image hosting will not work properly as these services are dependent on your social networking profile settings, user host restrictions (e.g. viewing social network content in the workplace) etc. Instructions for Photobucket are here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3253.
Can you rotate the pics when uploading onto or downloading from Photobucket so that they appear with the correct orientation when published on the forum? Some of the originals are sideways on.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Telegram Sam wrote:
humbucker wrote: You will need to upload your pics to Photobucket or similar. Twitter and/or Facebook for image hosting will not work properly as these services are dependent on your social networking profile settings, user host restrictions (e.g. viewing social network content in the workplace) etc. Instructions for Photobucket are here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3253.
Can you rotate the pics when uploading onto or downloading from Photobucket so that they appear with the correct orientation when published on the forum? Some of the originals are sideways on.
Upload them, then use the editor to rotate / crop them if required.
You'll get a far better feel for it if you just give it a go Iain. at worst - you just upload them, and try again.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

But think what it will do to my reputation (?) if the pics turn up wonky on the forum :(
I intend to experiment as you suggest
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Telegram Sam wrote:But think what it will do to my reputation (?) if the pics turn up wonky on the forum :(
Probably improve it no end. :thumb
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Envoy CDX wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:But think what it will do to my reputation (?) if the pics turn up wonky on the forum :(
Probably improve it no end. :thumb
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Finding an obscure address in an ECU is a doddle compared with just getting registered on Photobucket. Technical problems. Did someone say that Flickr did the same thing (for those not on social media) as far as sharing pics is concerned? Could I upload Flickr pics onto this forum the same way? Or am I confusing Flickr with something else?
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Flickr is better than photobucket and easier to share in my opinion. You do, however need a Yahoo email account to be able to log in to Flickr. I have one that I never use for emails but use as log in for photos!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Seeing as I have a Yahoo account which usually works I might well follow your example.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I've signed up to Flickr and uploaded a load of pics, arranged deliberately into "albums" so that I can select which ones to post onto this thread. But repeated attempts to view anything under / within the "albums" tab produce no result whatsoever, just everything jumbled up together when I switch to Photostream. The system gave all appearances of creating the albums and allocating my uploads into each. FAQ's are their usual unhelpful selves. :(
Telegram Sam

ECU

Post by Telegram Sam »

If anyone knows of an OMEX 600 ECU looking for a good home I'd appreciate a tip-off!
Super89

Post by Super89 »

They don't go much less 2nd hand, Thats if you can find one for sale..
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

That's why I signed up for a Club network like this and get carried away by these crazy ideas :)
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

"If anyone knows of an OMEX 600 ECU looking for a good home I'd appreciate a tip-off!"

Abort that. I'm told that an OMEX only makes sense in conjunction with throttle bodies (?) and to do the whole conversion + programming would bust my budget (well over £2K). I was looking for a "modest" upgrade. Pity I missed out on the Irmscher inlet manifold.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:"If anyone knows of an OMEX 600 ECU looking for a good home I'd appreciate a tip-off!"

Abort that. I'm told that an OMEX only makes sense in conjunction with throttle bodies (?) and to do the whole conversion + programming would bust my budget (well over £2K). I was looking for a "modest" upgrade. Pity I missed out on the Irmscher inlet manifold.
Rubbish. Like most other standalone ECUs, the Omex 600 is an electronic brain for your car that is designed to manage a range of tuning and/or modifications that the factory electronics are unable to take into consideration. Essentially, a way for the car's fuelling demands to be met with your aftermarket engine equipment in place. Throttle bodies are not a requirement.

Omex is one manufacturer of these units, but others are equally as effective. Using a standalone ECU (in place of a chipset that fits to the car's existing ECU) enables you to fine tune fuelling maps to suit your custom mechanical configuration. Is this really something that you need? Perhaps you should look into alternative solutions, particularly if cost is an issue. BoostMonkeys Gen8 (Megasquirt 2) ECU is arguably better value if you do decide to go down the standalone route, particularly when you consider the supply of a 2.5bar MAP sensor and a 1.5-metre terminated loom with each purchase.

I will probably be fitting one of these to my Cavalier Turbo 4x4 track car:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I know this has been said before, but you really would save yourself a lot of money and have a much quicker car if you swapped its engine for an alternative powerplant. C20XEs or C20LETs are readily available (and in the case of the LET will deliver you over 200bhp without any modifications). Perhaps consider a Saab B204R conversion? These are tried and tested transplants that are well catered for as far as the required apparatus is concerned. I can't help but feel you are throwing money down the drain by considering the purchase of items that you don't really need on an engine that will only ever deliver a modest amount of power. As I've said previously (and you might have already responded), you really need to say what it is that you're trying to achieve and what you're prepared to spend to get there. The world is your automotive oyster.
Super89

Post by Super89 »

As humbucker has said, Its going to cost alot of money to tune up the 20SEH beyond what you have already done. If that's what you really want to do, Go for it i say.

As you know that's what i have been doing and its not finished yet, Its already cost me well over £2000 and i now have 154.7bhp, By the time i am finished i hope mine will be around 170bhp or so. The end cost will have been huge. Could of bought a cavalier Turbo 4x4....BUT that's not what i wanted :thumb