Project Red Baron - Gaz' Cav

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Gaz

Re: Gaz' Cav.

Post by Gaz »

Just got a couple of bits of trim in and fitted the gaiters and gearleaver out of the vectra, can you see the differance? Terry put me onto it telling me about corsa c gaitor bases but vectra ones are the same. they have a lower profile and i think they look a little tidier.

And a pic of the suspension just because.

FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

OMG someone took a pic of Gaz lmfao :lol: aww look at his little tubby belly :lol: :p

someones robbed your steering wheel :lol: :lol: thats Manchester for you :p :lol: :lol:

so the suspension has finally turned up then? took their sweet arse time didnt they :roll: :roll:
Terry

Post by Terry »

FoxyCav wrote:
someones robbed your steering wheel :lol: :lol: thats Manchester for you :p :lol: :lol:
But note the lack of damage or broken glass, Manc thieves are smarter than the average scouser ;)
FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

they should be they get more practice :lol: :lol: :p
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Not much to report, cleaned out the washer bottle as the stagnant water that was in it wasn't going to work as washer fluid, terry let me use some bottle washers to get it clean as i could because vauxhall cant get new ones anymore.

Also got a new ariel base for the rear quarter £5.50 but its one of those bits you cant really clean up or fix up so i got a new one.

Had to go to the scrap yard to get a new ignition switch as the original one split during the dash change, the one off an omega matches the late cavalier and the one off the vectra will also work if you remove a bracket.
I did notice is there is an extra pin on the switch that doesn't have a connector in the cavalier loom, im thinking its an extra switched live but not had chance to check in any way yet, if it is i may install a new mini fusebox to it for any addons i need to make to the car.

Put in a tinted light from the vectra turns out the car had the extra wires for map lights taped up in the loom.

And got a turbo back panel off squig, cheers squiggy. (still wont let me have his lights thou)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Gaz wrote:.
I did notice is there is an extra pin on the switch that doesn't have a connector in the cavalier loom, im thinking its an extra switched live but not had chance to check in any way yet, if it is i may install a new mini fusebox to it for any addons i need to make to the car.
On the Vectras and Omega's I beleive the ignition remains active for the radio and such until the key is removed or works in position 1 or something, so it maybe for that?
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Thats a fair point, i'll get the multimeter on the vectra before i break it, see what it does.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Gaz wrote:Thats a fair point, i'll get the multimeter on the vectra before i break it, see what it does.
Let us know the findings.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Not really got that much done, but hopefully should be in for an MOT this week, bled the brakes all round tonight with dan,- the colour of some of the fluid coming out was nearly black, but its all new now and when i put a column in i'll take it round the block for a test drive. Finally got the momo boss of the column, so i can sell the wood wheel.
when the adjustable column turns up i'll fit the vectra carbon wheel.
Squig

Post by Squig »

any chance of a loan of an angle grinder?
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

what size? and when as im at the bodyshop all week, and tommrow night im off to see a car with dan. I could bring one with me if you want to pick it up
Squig

Post by Squig »

5 1/2 inch ish... I'll grab it tomorrow if that's ok?

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

yea sure, as long as i dont forget in the morning.
bengaltiger

Post by bengaltiger »

Gaz that is a seriously beautiful cav u have there bud wish i could afford to get mine upto that standard lol will put some pics up ov my poor slave horse soon lol
Terry

Post by Terry »

bengaltiger wrote:Gaz that is a seriously beautiful cav u have there bud wish i could afford to get mine upto that standard lol will put some pics up ov my poor slave horse soon lol
Interesting you should say that, The Cav is for sale for the princely sum of 50p :lol:
Squig

Post by Squig »

and even the young 'uns are after using their pocket money.... I'll up the bidding and offer 55p :D

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

bengaltiger wrote:Gaz that is a seriously beautiful cav u have there bud wish i could afford to get mine upto that standard lol will put some pics up ov my poor slave horse soon lol
the pics do make it look better than it is, its gonna need a respray to bring it upto standard but it will be as good as the pictures as soon as i can get it that high lol.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Not much done really, got a brand new gm adjustable column rather than the fixed one as i need that bit more room for my knees, had to swap the ignition housings as the early switches don't fit the later wiring

Yesterday while at work turbo dan said "do you want a new door for you cav?", i asked "which one?" (like it mattered i wanna swap three of them) he said front passenger, go see geoff next door (bodyshop) so we go next door and after a bit of haggling (well more like have you got a door then?) i got it for free, yes free. Brand spanking new GM door and its only fault is its got a ding that would take about 2 mins to knock out and its behind the gsi door trim anyway.

I had to get it home in the vectra which is a story in itself, im waiting for the pictures to tell the story.
Squig

Post by Squig »

awesome find fella

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

well its in for its mot in the morning, dan decied i was faffing about so booked it without telling me and then drove me home to get it ready.

Its ready thanks to dan, i know he got pictures of me doing laps of the block clearing the brakes of surface rust.
GLC

Post by GLC »

Gaz wrote:well its in for its mot in the morning, dan decied i was faffing about so booked it without telling me and then drove me home to get it ready.

Its ready thanks to dan, i know he got pictures of me doing laps of the block clearing the brakes of surface rust.
All the best with your mot tomorrow m8. That door was a good find,nice one. :D
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

It'll be fine. Enjoy it :)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

It failed,

headlight alignment - as id set the twins to lhd,
top mount had gone (it was on the fail sheet when i got the car but i sort of ignored it) I managed to get one good one out of the spare 3 i had (check them for cracks people)
Brakes needed rebleeding, they wernt great but i hoped they would bed in as its all new and stiffen up but it didnt happen

Ive done everything tonight with dan and we managed to change the top mount without removing the strut!
Terry

Post by Terry »

Well you will buy an old Cav :p
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Annoying but not too bad. Probably a good idea to check/change my top mounts as MOT time is a few months away.