Project Red Baron - Gaz' Cav

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Gaz

Re: Gaz' Cav.

Post by Gaz »

well i took it back today and it passed, so insured it and got some tax and the cav is useable!

Tracking needs doing as i think it was tracked with the busted top mount and i get an occasional ecu light but give it time and i will get it right.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Its on the road!

the vectra is dead and some parts sold. Money to pay for the cav has been covered so im a happy bunny.

Just ordered a new pair of wishbones, want to get all new bushes on the front end, got another set of struts donated so lets see if i can get these apart.to get the cav 5 studded, as ive got the hubs off the vectra just need a new pair of bearings and the struts built up.

Fitted the vectra steering wheel and squib just need the cav wheel loom to make up a connector.

Nearly got the car on one key as when i got it i had a key for the ignition one for the door and no key for the glovebox and non for the boot, my mate marc came round and rejigged the vectra bootlock pins into the cav bootlock rebuilding it in the process, fitted the vectra glovebox lock into the cav glovebox holder and swapped ignitions, just the doorlock to go.

Still need a dark rear saloon parcel shelf and the black inner door handles and the seal things across the top of the doorcards, but its getting there.

Things to fit off the vectra- adjustable wiper mod, cruise control, total closure mid switch, vectra gsi interior.
cav cdx

Post by cav cdx »

Hi Gaz
Your cav is well nice keep up the good work.
you said the vectra is dead so is the Exhaust 4 sale mate.
CAVS RULE
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

yea nobody has actually paid for it yet so its still up for grabs
cav cdx

Post by cav cdx »

how much mate
CAVS RULE
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

£150 but ii'll take an good offer.
cav cdx

Post by cav cdx »

how much moding would it take to fit a cav hatch, is it of the car yet if it is can you send me some pics thanks
CAVS RULE
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Yea its in my shed in the dry, i can get pics as for modding the back bit should fit round the wheel well but i think the centre section is more central than a cav one.

as for the cav ive just got a new spoiler to replace the one that had been drilled, rather than filling the other one and risk it cracking at a later date.

Ive managed to get a new fault with the cav that ive never seen before. It stalled every time i came close to a halt, long story short, the clip on the connector on the icv wasn't there so it had worked its way off on the drive and i had to glue it back on temp, while i sort the plug.
cav cdx

Post by cav cdx »

hi gaz send me your number in a pm and i will phone u mate.
CAVS RULE
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

cav cdx wrote:hi gaz send me your number in a pm and i will phone u mate.
will do.

Pics from today not really done anything other than use it.

FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

Yes you have you fixed the idle cos it was having a fit :p :lol:
all taken on my new phone :lol: cheeky ba*tard where the pic of mine you took :wall :lol:
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

I like the first pic 2 Cavs in a row!
kingofthekerb

Post by kingofthekerb »

Nice looking Cav there mate.

Made up now too because i wasn't sure if you could get a Vectra wheel to fit on an adjustable column. 3 spoke with steering wheel controls like in my Vectra is on the cards now. Was it tricky to do??
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Just change everything from the indicator holders to the wheel and link the wiring into the cav loom.

Easy job, hardest bit is getting the wheel off
kingofthekerb

Post by kingofthekerb »

Gaz wrote:Just change everything from the indicator holders to the wheel and link the wiring into the cav loom.

Easy job, hardest bit is getting the wheel off
Sounds easy enough.

Wheel won't be too tricky when i've got my trusty puller in me toolbox lol
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Got some new wishbones delivered, some hid's on order H1's
Fitted the relay and the stalk for the omega adjustable wipers, just need to wire in the plug now (when i find my gas soldering iron)
Fitted the illuminated sunvisors and stuck petrol in it.

All the locks are finally on 1 key - all the ones off the vectra - swapped the drivers handle for the one off the vectra, also the glovebox locks are identical once you change the casing, the ignition just swapped and i got my mate marc to rebuild the cav boot lock using the vectra parts. He did a stunning job and its like new, as he butchered the best bits out of both.

When i get hold of a cav lock backplate im going to take vectra and cav locks and backplates and let him work his magic so there can be deadlocking on the cav with vectra handles.

Electric sunroof started playing up so wound it back manually and im gonna just fit an omega sunroof motor.
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Great progress
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

well thanks to squig and emma.
i got a phonecall at work, they were at the scrap yard and there was a cav with black interior in, so they picked me up a few bits that were missing on mine, as the grey to black interior change was a bit half arsed by the previous owner.
They bagged me interior pull handles, doorcard window seals, some black tweeters, couple of clips and a normal fuel cap as the locking one on the car was annoying the hell out of me, just need a saloon parcel shelf and a set of door rubbers and i might actually have a properly black interior.

Also got a new saloon spoiler off ebay, £9 delivered. a spare gsi grill, 2 pin oil pressure sender and a turbo airbox, bits are starting to add up......
Squig

Post by Squig »

Yeah we're great :D
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Well tonight i didnt get much done, swapped the seals above the windows for black ones and swapped the rear pull handles for black.

Decided i didnt need a whole interior hogging the spare room so i got started on the vectra seat conversion.
I could have took the front seats out but i decided that it was getting on and i didnt have much light left so decided to have a go at the rear seat base.

first removed the badly fitting gsi one, it was cabletied in- that'll be why it didnt fit tight. First tried the smaller section and it wasnt even close, so the vectra and the cav being different eras, nothing will bolt in directly, i didnt think it would from what ive read but i thought i might get lucky.

After trying to just brute force it in, it was obvious it wasnt going in without tweeking the brackets, after various trial fittings the mounts need to be vertical to the seat rather than near the edge. i used a crowbar (when i did the other side) rather than doing it a bit at a time like the first time.

and to prove heres a pic of the brackets working as they should. Ignore the dirt they will get shampooed when the interior is finished

and the gsi seat that was in.
thats 25% done :D
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Good work.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

well ive got the top section mostly in, just need to fabricate some brackets for the middle section.
in the end i used the cavalier end mounts, bent the latch sections slightly up to meet the seat and its in. Removed everything from the middle brackets will probably end up drilling some new mounts into the shell.

It was getting dark but pic to prove.
RatCav

Post by RatCav »

Looks very good. I like the electric rear windows with the manual kit fit back up :D
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

The seats do look good in the Cav its a mod ive never seen done.
RatCav

Post by RatCav »

RatCav wrote:Looks very good. I like the electric rear windows with the manual keep-fit back up :D