Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Mikebmth

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by Mikebmth »

Greig Sri wrote:Good work on the central locking. iIs something I did think about doing to my Cav but never done anything about it.
Its a piece of p*ss to do Greig, only takes 20 min or so and thats for a novice like me...

Well worth it although when I got home I locked the car up with the key, force of habit I guess..
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

I can comfirm that is the wrong black/blue wire.

Thats for the engine loom and its either for the fuel level or Aircon, either way you dont want that wire.

You need to find the black/blue that is in with the central locking wireing, trace the wires that come out of the drivers door and you will find it in there.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

TurboDan wrote:I can comfirm that is the wrong black/blue wire.

Thats for the engine loom and its either for the fuel level or Aircon, either way you dont want that wire.

You need to find the black/blue that is in with the central locking wireing, trace the wires that come out of the drivers door and you will find it in there.
Balls.... :wall

Hmmmm ok, I don't have aircon so pos fuel level but seems to be working fine, what is black/blue used for anyway....Does it need to be connected with kiekert system??

No biggy, just means will have to pull it off in morning and leccy tape up wrong wire....
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

The black/blue wire is for the dead locking so when you press the lock button twice it should dead lock. So yeah it will still be working fine even with that connected up wrong it just wont have dead locking.

However even when you do connect the dead locking wire up properly i'm not sure how long the deadlocking will work for as i had trouble with it only working every now and then but for other people it worked fine. So i just used it without and it worked fine.

Its a great mod, makes the car feel that little bit nicer.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cool beans....

Cheers for the advice Dan, may just disconnect that wire completely then to be honest...I barely ever deadlock the car and don't really see the point as if someone wants in they are going to just smash out the window anyway...

Pretty pointless extra I think, do love the remote locking though and bought a flip key kit so brings it a bit more up to date.. :thumb
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Few more jobs done on the old girl but also more issues as per usual....

First off I changed over the gear stick gaiter and handbrake gaiters as the old ones were all flaking and nasty to be honest, not managed to completely fix the handbrake gaiter on as the plastic frame it sits in seems thicker than the gear stick one and wouldn't take the staples.

For the moment I have managed to push the edges of the handbrake gaiter into place and seems to be staying there and looks ok.

Old Gaiter:

New Gaiters Fitted:

Also after Dans advice I changed the wiring on the Vectra central locking mod, I could not find a way to access the door loom behind the dash properly so decided to remove the deadlocking feature..As for the flip key mod all I can say is don't buy the cheap ones from ebay as the circuit board doesn't fit into them!!

Since my last post I have also had a new caliper put on the N/s Front as the old one was leaking fluid, wasn't a cheap job at 70 quid a caliper but I also have purchased Brembo disks and decent pads so the whole front braking system will be replaced with new parts in coming days.

Once again the O/s front brakes have caused issues and it seems some muppet had put 20mm thick carrier & caliper at some point instead of the 24mm thick caliper mine runs, pissed me and Andrei off a treat after a full day of working on mine and the V6 of his.

To resolve this I have now ordered another new caliper for the O/s front and had to source a caliper carrier bracket to fit which involved a 35 mile drive on a saturday afternoon, trecked off to a old breakers I knew of to find they had done the site up and had loads of Vauxhalls including 3 cavaliers and a Calibra which donated its carrier and one Cav that donated its grill for the grand sum of £20 cash

Andrei also pillaged the Cavs on the site for not only his V6 but also the 1.8, definetly recommend them up there.

If you ever up Dorchester in Dorset look up Angel Autos or as they are now known G. Crook car dismantlers, well worth a browse with some limited edition motors in the yard.

Anyway heres some more pics of the N/s brake work done:

Old disc:

All in all its been a hectic few days but glad to get the work sorted, next job bar the O/s caliper is now the manifold down pipe is blowing but I am trying to decide whether to fit a Sportex 4-2-1 manifold but they aint cheap at £150 ish.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Was really fun, climbing in and out of the cars and scavenging parts and that :D I got a fair few bits myself, but the main thing is you at least got the right part for yours FINALLY :lol:

The lads at the breakers are proper friendly, well worth popping down there as they have an absolute shite load of cars there. Gave us a good deal on the bits we needed, and friendly service too. Definitely going there again.

Saw another Cavalier driver there, he waved back for once, unlike the other locals :lol:
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
retrogeezer

Post by retrogeezer »

Gaiter fitting pics look just like mine! And I did the same thing with the handbrake one, just tucked it in with the edge of a knife and mine seems to be holding fine after a week of use.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote: Saw another Cavalier driver there, he waved back for once, unlike the other locals :lol:
Shame he didn't stop and say hello but hey....

Maybe we should go flyer bomb the scrap Cavs in the yard.. :lol:
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

retrogeezer wrote:Gaiter fitting pics look just like mine! And I did the same thing with the handbrake one, just tucked it in with the edge of a knife and mine seems to be holding fine after a week of use.
Remember reading that :lol: :thumb

I have a electric staple gun at work so sure I will sort it properly next week, just wanted to get it finished as after 2 hours it was doing me tits in..
retrogeezer

Post by retrogeezer »

:lol: :lol:

Yeh, I was cursing a bit after tarting around with that gear lever one for about an hour. As you say, the plastic is much harder than the gear lever one. They look so much better though and dead cheap.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Cavalier342 wrote:Was really fun, climbing in and out of the cars and scavenging parts and that
Did they have a V6 there?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Nope, only an 1800 and a 1600.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Thanks to Andrei we finally finished off the complete rebuild of the front brakes yesterday afternoon thanks to some nob head who put the wrong parts on it before I owned it so here goes:

2 x New Calipers at £82 each :shock:
2 x Brembo solid 256mm disks £35 ish

Full set of front brake pads to match disks £20 ish

New Caliper bracket for O/s as one on there was a 20mm not 24mm item £10

Brake Fluid (4 litres) £5 at GSF

Labour £20 to do N/s caliper, did offside between myself and Andrei after seeing how easy it is.

Bit of an expensive job in the end and a frustrating one too, dont think it helped yesterday that both Andrei and myself had been at work since 6 or 7am, I managed to put caliper bracket on without disk in place and had to take it apart again then we couldn't get the brake hose to unbolt from the caliper so had to put on the 20mm bracket and caliper again to get enough force to loosen it off.

You'll all laugh I expect but it took us about an hour and a half to do one caliper change, was our first one though so now we both know how to do it the next will be easier.

Sorry no pics but I will upload some later or tomorrow..

Next jobs include:

Full brake fluid change (going to garage for that one)
Pick up my 17 inch multispokes friday or saturday
Re-chrome the bumper trims on front and rear bumper
Sort blowing exhaust manifold downpipe or replace with sportex (can't decide at moment)
Find a cheap sprayer locally to redo my roof and bonnet as roof has bad laquer peel and bonnet is stone chipped from all my motorway driving

Also now looking at a mk3 Astra 1.6i to buy cheap and repair some small bits for profits sake only, cannot afford a second car but one that will make me a couple of hundred quickly is more than welcome on my drive.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

That's that sorted then.

For once I actually stood back with a can of John Smiths and watched you do most of the work :lol:
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote: For once I actually stood back with a can of John Smiths and watched you do most of the work :lol:
:cheers :lol: :thumb
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Cavalier342 wrote:That's that sorted then.

For once I actually stood back with a can of John Smiths and watched you do most of the work :lol:
:lol:

Good job guys!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
terkin

Post by terkin »

good stuff! everything takes ages first time least you can do it now :thumb
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Think I have bent something...Thanks to Dorset council and there man hole covers that are below road level, had my foot down following a mate and didn't notice the drain cover was well sunk until I hit it at 60mph...

Car just doesn't feel right again now so this afternoon I am running it into the lads at Kwikfit again to do a suspension check and possible tracking / geometry check on her, just hope it hasn't blown one of my shocks as cost me a fortune last time to get the new ones fitted.

Nothing else done since the scrapyard visit to be honest, just been trying to enjoy her for a change whilst contemplating something a bit newer as old age and rust is starting to get into the Cav and I cannot justify spending much more on it now as owes me near 1500 quid already!
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Looking good mate!!! Would the astra G remote locking go on the cav easily?
Really need it!!! Lol...

I have always stitched my gaitors to the plastic...,
Not easy, but a top job!!!
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Hayward691 wrote:Would the astra G remote locking go on the cav easily?
Really need it!!! Lol...
Not sure if it will mate, know mine was off a scrapped Vectra B from another site I am on....Dead easy to do but mines playing up already....
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

FOR SALE SOON £750 GUIDE PRICE

Got your attention, good.....Had enough so putting the Cav up for sale at the end of July, will be advertised at Beaulieu as I have been looking into other options which include Bertone Astras and esp a Vectra C cdti 150 which are not only economical but cheaper to run than the Cav is..

So, so far...

Tracking sorted today by Kwikfit who took a while as the adjusters were seized but only charged me £57 quid all in so thanks guys!! Can't say its improved the handling much but hey...

Starting to feel the Cavalier is just too old and need something more less boyracer and more fitting to my job and age so the Vectra I think will become the replacement very soon, just to sell this one first so......

Since i have owned it as you will see on my wip it has had everything done inc. suspension, brakes, headgasket, passed last MOT after headlight aim and a sticky seatbelt were sorted.

In my opinion the car needs some work but I just aint for one interested and for two prepared to spend any more time or money on it!!

Amazing how JD makes you sort your mind out.... :cheers

And NO PAUL THE CAR WAS PARKED BEFORE I HAD A WHISKY...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
terkin

Post by terkin »

how about a nice vectra b :D
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

You could sell me back the fog lights :D

LOL... Shame to hear it mate, But at least you have the sense to stick with Vaux!!!

But yes... I will happily remove the fog lights as well :P
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

You just wait until you get your exhaust sorted out, you'd be changing your mind pretty quickly. Whisky is a double-way street, it makes you want to do stuff when you're on it, but the next morning you quickly regret it.... That's just how it works... :thumb Anyways mate, I'm sure you'll find something decent if you do go ahead and sell it, but that Cav has plenty of life left in it. They don't want to give up.
Previous: